Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 27, 2010.

1. They are cool, i was going to do the same on mine but just haven't gotten to it yet. JW

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So nice, B.
    You like your winter shop time, and I like the idea of the sound of your sewing machine running late at night...
    Chug chug chug chug.
    And you in your element.
    Cool.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The saddles for the top of my jack stands to hold the rear end were failures in regards to my attempt to glue rubber into them.

Even using the strongest contact cement available was no good.

So plan B :D
    A trip to the ornamental iron shop netted me some thermo vinyl handrail cap material.

I had to modify the saddles so that I had the lip required for the plastic to hook around.
    See photos.

After that the heat gun and some large diameter rivets and we’re good to go.:cool:

38D5C47C-9BA8-418F-8E48-84C1718B862E.jpeg 6D3B0EAA-AB6A-4EB6-A5D8-BE1CF6EBF2B0.jpeg EF17C1A3-3FF7-433E-83FB-676FFC4BC38C.jpeg 3B580287-CBF9-4E68-9E66-2E4195F401F2.jpeg A471EAC4-26AD-425D-9410-23E7992EB843.jpeg 086CAA4A-5A61-4A3A-9D9E-C89E4A691A1A.jpeg 42BBAE58-1097-40EE-A9BF-2AC3AE93C703.jpeg

mctim64, Tim, Blues4U and 10 others like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

5. loudbang

loudbang

That was great thinking.

1947knuck, Blue One and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That Lokar engine oil dipstick was fighting me today like a cat that didn’t want a bath :D

It didn’t like the bends I had put into it so it would bind badly trying to put the dipstick in and pull it out.

After sharpening the end of the dipstick oil level indicator to a point and then cutting a 1/2” off the tube it goes in and out easily with no binding.

I also had some extra of the small cable that the dipstick is made from left over from the transmission dipstick which I had saved.

Good thing because in order to get the proper oil level measurement I had to add 3/4” to the length of the cable which I did by silver braving the extra piece on and cutting to length.

Done! :D:cool:
    Getting close to fire up :cool:

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well there’s proof of life :D:cool:
    Today was the day I put all the fluids in and fired it up.

A couple of tiny leaks that I took care of, one transmission pan leak that I think stopped by tightening the pan bolts.
    If not I’ll drop the pan and change the gasket.

Another little leak from the water pump which also stopped by tightening the bolts.

I’m not showing any oil pressure on the gauge, I know that the engine made good oil pressure when Tim did the run in on the test stand.

I tested the wiring and I either have a bad gauge or sending unit. I’ll have to get in touch with Classic Instruments.

I also have to remove the new thermostat because it’s obviously not working :mad:

I’ll just put it together without a thermostat and see how everything works.

I’m pumped it was an exciting day.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Stogy, jimgoetz, mctim64 and 14 others like this.
  8. Well thats the Bee's Knee's for sure.:cool::cool: Are you going to be tempted to get it down and go round the block or wait till its been certed? Too Cool !!JW

9. Nine years well spent and it shows just how much attention to detail went into this beauty. :) HRP

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Tempted yes but I’ll probably wait because I’ve got all the little stuff to sort out yet and I want to get the doors on too.

I’m not sure I’ll get done before the snow flies so it might not happen until spring.

You can bet in that case I’ll have the garage door up quite often to hear it run :D

Tim, brad2v, eddie1 and 4 others like this.
  11. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Woohooo!!

That's a major milestone for sure. I think a big round of frosty beverages is in order

Bobby

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

WooHooo! Times two!
    To do what you have done and so few issues on heart up is further testimony to the quality of work you've done here.

loudbang likes this.
  13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

LOVE the tone of the exhaust!

Several years ago I was told that the failure rate for new thermostats was close to 50%. You'd think that the MFRs would have that figured out by now.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Oil pressure issues are sorted out.
    Waiting for a set of hex head center plugs and jet plugs along with upgraded nylon sealing rings for the carb bowls.

Got my Hylomar sealant to use on them as well to ensure no more leaks.

Also have some timing tape coming for the harmonic balancer to make setting the timing easier.

Once I get all that sorted out I’ll be able to mount the doors. :cool:

Tim, brad2v, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  15. RodStRace

RodStRace

Blue one, I love your build, the attention to detail and how you think things through to the best outcome, then do what it takes to make it happen.

One question; how does the timing tape hold up the door install? :p

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D It doesn’t but I’m kind of a methodical type of guy so I like to get things done in phases.

When I’m happy that I have things the way I want in one phase then I move on to the next one.

I’m also going to take the time to put all my tools away and do a major shop cleaning this weekend too I think.

I just hate wandering around for 5 minutes looking for a particular tool. :D

And I really need to be able to see my work bench again :D

Stogy, brEad, RodStRace and 4 others like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I end up putting things away as I'm looking for a lost tool. It never ends up in a clean shop because when I find the thing I'm hunting I quit looking and putting away. Maybe I'll be better when I grow up. :(

Stogy, loudbang, OFT and 1 other person like this.
  18. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I clean the shop...sporadically. When I'm working I start out clean and organized. I try to stay that way but then the project invariably starts going south and things spin out of control. Then somehow, when I'm not looking, some kind of tornado, whirling dervish, Tasmanian Devil, or other such entity rolls through and scatters tools, parts, unrecognizable detritus and gunk everywhere....ugh

Bobby

Stogy, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  19. Nice car, great build, congratulations.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Carbs apart for the new bowl plugs and seals

I’ve also realized that since I have mechanical carb linkage including from the pedal that I really need a throttle pedal stop so that I don't try pushing the pedal through the firewall and bend and tweak the linkage. :eek: :D

I could make one but looking at Summit I saw a nice one so I ordered it.

I’ve also discovered that I need to put the Stromberg throttle shaft return springs on all three carbs.

In my brief fire up I found that they are needed.

image.jpg 80FE3FA8-95A6-4D07-A5FA-D65C4EAE3F7F.jpeg 28AC4091-A540-47E7-A691-3B2FCD4D51A3.jpeg image.jpg

image.jpg

21. I really like what you're doing here. This is going to be one of those cars where I'd spend a long time, looking and admiring the small details. This is how hot rods should look.

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

First carb with the new plugs. :cool:
    6CA9137C-FE73-4451-8294-D4D0BCC2550F.jpeg

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Don’t know how I missed so many updates! Video was fantastic! Hopefully we get another one when you’ve got a helper and we cannot those pipes rap a little ;)

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  24. Its cool to see the owner on the other side of the camera, the complete package. :cool::) JW

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Okay so the oil pressure thing was my fault.
    Apparently the little canister sending unit that came with my Classic Instruments has a small wire inside that’s attached to the post that takes the wire to the gauge.

I called the CI tech line and they told me that if you let that post get loose and spin then the wire will be broken off. Guess what I did :D

So I ordered up a new sender.
    I confirmed the oil pressure by running the engine with a valve cover off and it was obviously flowing oil to the top end really well.

On the advice of my buddy and also after talking with Tim in California I have decided to remove the fan shroud and run without one.

It’s too close to the rad to be effective and is blocking air flow causing heat buildup even at idle.

I’ve also ordered a more aggressive cooling fan a Derale 17313.
    The first one I installed does practically nothing.

571EEBB3-CB33-452C-810F-8D04972B757F.jpeg

I took the carbs off again and removed the hex plugs, went back to the original chrome plugs supplied by Stromberg with the new nylon sealing rings. Perfect.

Then I set my Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator to 1.5 psi.

Seems that I was also going about setting up the carbs incorrectly with my linkages all installed.

Clive set me on the right path (as did Tim also) to running adjusting and balancing before hooking up the linkage tying the 3 carbs together.

It’s quite a learning experience.

I also discovered that I had a binding issue with the rod I had made connecting the gas pedal to the center carb.

In the swing of closed to full open there was a rubbing interference with the carb linkage that wouldn’t allow the return to idle so I added a little offset bend to cure that.

image.jpg
    So, small things to chase but it’s all part of it :cool:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    The 39 guy, brad2v, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Think I ended up with the same fan. Louder but works much bettee

27. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Awesome stuff.
    Thanks for letting us know about the little bugs and working through them. That kind of info is very helpfiul

Bobby

28. Great job Larry. :)

BTW, this makes 2308 reply's to this thread, It should have been a featured thread. HRP

The 39 guy, Blue One and loudbang like this.
  29. I'm using rose joints on the end of my rad support rods - M8 are just right for the 12mm thick wall aluminium tube I am using.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  30. atch

atch

Would you mind to throw up a pic of this installation?

Thanx.

Sorry, Blue One. We'll get back to your build in just a moment.

Stogy and loudbang like this.