Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57-59 Ford people - Steering box removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Nov 7, 2019.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Hey all,

With 57-59 Ford passenger cars, can you snake the steering box out of the car from the bottom?

Obviously, the steering shaft is a part of the box and gear, but if I pull the pitman arm and disconnect the box from the chassis, then loosen the band clamp on the column at the box and pull the steering wheel off, can I snake the box and steering shaft out of the car from the bottom, then reinstall in the opposite order? Or do I need to take the whole column out through the pass-through in the floor from the interior of the car?

Thanks!

2. Yes you can. I have done it myself. I did go one step further and removed the tube after taking off the steering wheel. Hope you have a lift to get it up in the air.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  3. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I removed the rubber boot and brought mine out through the interior. I had already removed the steering wheel and column. I reinstalled it the same way.

57JoeFoMoPar and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. I actually believe this is the method most of us use.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Great, I'm trying to leave the tube in the car if I can. I have the lift in my shop so that's not an issue, just trying to make less work if I can. I'd rather not start digging under the dash if I don't absolutely have to. I'm sure most people will just pull the whole assembly up into the car, but it's filthy and oily and my seats are clean and white haha.

6. Pull the floor board tin's and just loosen the column drop bolts to the Dash. This will help with both removal and replacement. You can leave the signal wires connected. I understand the White upholstery thing for sure. What a pain.
    51 Upholstery 002.jpg

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's a good call, a little slack at the top column mount will give me a little angle to help the removal. Realistically I should have fixed this steering box years ago. I bought the car with 103K on it in 2002 and it drove shitty then. Another 100K miles later, I think the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria handled more responsively than this car. There's literally 270 degrees of backlash in the steering, and I look like one of those old time actors sawing at the wheel when I'm just trying to drive in a straight line. It's just unsafe. Rock Auto has a rebuild and return service with Lares, with a one week turnaround, for $256.00. It's a no-brainer.

Scumdog likes this.