Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Purple period correct or not ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by gtokid70, Oct 31, 2019.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I recall building a few models 1963 - 1965 that were purple. 60 Mercury convertible, a 32 high boy roadster, a topolino altered, a purple version of Tony Nancy's full bodied aafd. A 56 f 1 Ford pick up as the tow vehicle for the topolino. So purple must have been invogue during those years

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  2. 'Mo

'Mo

THIS is it!
    Long before "Funny Cars", this is the very Hot Rod Magazine cover that truly warped my impressionable young mind! (I've never recovered.)

(Dec., 1960)
    [​IMG]

3. firemangordy

firemangordy

My daughter's Regency Purple '55. CMD 55-140.jpg

lucky, Roadsir, arkiehotrods and 16 others like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Mary is my wife's name......:rolleyes:;)

chryslerfan55 and 'Mo like this.
  5. tim troutman

tim troutman

When I was about 16 or 17 an older friend let me drive his PURPLE 55 T-bird a few times, it had a real hot 312/T-10, man, I thought I was hot s#/t.[/QUOTE I got this one about a month ago 20191014_063834[1].jpg

6. The son of our landlord had a '51 Fordllac coupe. Purple, dechromed, solenoids on doors and trunk. I don't know when it was built but in '59 (same year my parents rented the house) he put it in a storage shed next to us after he blew up and pulled the engine out. Left the '59 plates on it, sat that way until 1968 when after the property was sold the new owner had it declared abandoned and towed. I tried to buy it a year before, I had a rusty 60 Ford that had a very good running 352 that would have been a perfect swap for it. His idea of the value was much greater than mine not to mention my wallet's leanness.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

I like purple cars . I don't care if I look like I'm going down the road in rolling Easter egg it's still fun as all hell and I've had more positive comments on the color than negative . The only thing I want to change on my car is the tires no more raised white letters .

chevy57dude likes this.
  8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don’t think it was real common, but quite a few unique cars were purple. Probably because it’s always been a little controversial. This Ohio pair is on a January 1960 issue: F382A74D-D25B-4DC4-9117-DFD528A48F95.jpeg

9. Jay71

Jay71

We need more pics of this one Gordy!!!!

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Some of you guys don't like purple, you should try painting a car pink. I did, once.

11. firemangordy

firemangordy

CMD 55-111.JPG CMD 55-122.jpg CMD 55-124.jpg CMD 55-129.jpg CMD 55-137.jpg

lucky, Roadsir, arkiehotrods and 17 others like this.
  12. Jay71

Jay71

Oh man that’s a beauty!!!!^^^^^

13. My fave 5W....Jerry Duncans purple 32 ;)

images.jpg

images2.jpg

images3.jpg

14. GeeRam

GeeRam

This was built by Jon Golding in the UK nearly 20 years ago, but has been in the USA for at least the past 15 years (I have a photo of it I took of it at the Paso Kustom show in May 2007) until early this year when it was re-imported back into the UK. by its new owner.

[​IMG]

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-11-10_3-28-7.png wdifl
    Hello,
    Purple, traditional, and fast is a great description of the modified roadster of the late, Tony Waters of the Bakersfield Smokers Group. His modified roadster was bright purple had the most unusual look and won most of the races they were during the time we were active in drag racing. 1958-60.
    upload_2019-11-10_3-28-56.png

(below, in the dark, final 1959 race) photo credit: We Did It For Love

upload_2019-11-10_3-29-48.png
    Tony Waters light, purple, roadster was one of our favorites at Riverside and Bakersfield. That purple roadster was such a complete race car. It looked good, plus, it was also loud and fast ! The crew always looked sharp with their matching purple, Bakersfield Smokers, Inc. jackets over the all-white outfits. In those days, for the Top Eliminator trophy races, this purple roadster took on everyone, FEDs included.

upload_2019-11-10_3-31-30.png 1959 December Riverside Raceway

Jnaki

It is too bad we never saw them race at Lions in Long Beach. But, at their home grounds in Bakersfield, We saw him doing well until the Speed Sport Roadster showed up during eliminations during the 1960 Smokers March Meet.

Tony Waters purple Riverside and Bakersfield

HISTORY OF THE LATE, TONY WATERS:
    In 1954, Tony built a crankshaft driven, supercharged DeSoto motor and put it into his 1925 Model T track roadster, which came to be known as the “Giant Killer.” A founding member of the Smokers Car Club of Bakersfield, Tony and his partner Jim Shughrue, became the guys to beat at the tracks around the Westcoast. With help from Irv and Gary Guinn of Bakersfield, Tony dominated the Roadster Class and ended up as the runner up in the 1st March Meet in 1959 at Bakersfield. (obit: Bakersfield 2012)

16. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

IMG_3187.JPG IMG_2732.JPG IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2734.JPG IMG_2735.JPG IMG_0306.JPG
    I became very familiar w the Red Hat Society. I bought my wife the book “When I am Old I’ll Wear Purple” or something like that, many years ago, before there was a Red Hat Society. They were formed based on an idea from the book. My wife sent a first person incident to the society for the Society President’s 1st book. They called and asked my permission to publish after my wife’s death, 15 years ago. They didn’t pay to use it but did send me a free copy of the book. A fun & charitable organization.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Here is a cool gasser at a show in Ct. Yesterday !

18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-11-28_3-55-12.png
    Hello,

I have always liked chopped trucks since I saw my first custom truck in our Westside Long Beach neighborhood. It was a F100 that had a chopped top at an odd angle, lowered, Tahitian red paint, white tuck and roll, etc. It was a show car that ran on the streets as a daily driver. It was impressive.

This purple Chevy truck caught my eye as it had the stance, custom stuff, and attitude of a cool cruiser. My photo was against the afternoon sun which plays with the color. The other daylight photo attached was presented by @Sancho several years ago. By all means, it is a very nice custom truck for cruising So Cal. It has been seen at plenty of So Cal events. The purple paint shines in all sorts of daylight photographs. The purple makes it stand out more than if it were painted black or bright red.
    upload_2019-11-28_3-55-56.png

Jnaki

The only thing that puzzles me is the crisscross flipper hubcap. It looks good with the styling. But, what car or truck came from the factory with this model flipper hubcap. It is a popular one on a lot of custom cars and hot rods, but where does it come from in the line of old school “flipper” hubcap history? Repop?

19. phat rat

phat rat

My cpe was going to be black until about a month before it was painted. I decided to go with purple, that was 23 yrs ago, I have never regretted it. I've gotten hundreds of compliments on the color. My opinion is if you don't like the color of my car "tough shit" it's my car and I'm the only one that needs pleasing.
    What ever happened to the individuality that WAS hot rodding? It seems as though nowadays so many are concerned about what others think is correct and especially "period correct" Build what you want not based on what everyone else thinks you should.
    Look at some of the projects on here that get the most comments and their the ones where someone is thinking outside the box that so many are trapped in.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  20. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

21. phat rat

phat rat

arkiehotrods and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. In fact some cars had purple shades as a factory option in the late 50s and early 60s.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  23. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

Fell in love with jerry duncans in street rodder 1988 so was the only way to go with mine!

Attached Files:

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Long before the Plum Crazy Mopar colors of the late 60s-early 70s, Chrysler Corp was not afraid to spray some purple, even two shades of it on the same car.
    56 dodge.jpg 56 dodge royal lancer.jpg

25. 'Mo

'Mo

Joe Wilhelm-built chopped top 1955 Jaguar XK140, "Royale"..still wearing its original late-fifties custom paint job!

[​IMG]

26. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

That magazine cover has been tattooed in my brain, since I first saw it on the news stand, at the age of fifteen.

arkiehotrods, Jim Bouchard and bowie like this.
  27. 51box

51box
    from MA

28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    When we were teenagers in high school 1959-62, we had all kinds of affordable cars that just fit our budget. But, there were only a few that got their hot rods painted with what they saved as a teenager. There were 2 two door Chevy sedans that went from two toned to a single color for a change. (a 53 was painted green and the 56 a silver)

Then there was a 1946 Ford Coupe that was painted a striking purple. It was one of the best paint jobs that we had seen and the owner was very proud of how it looked. White walls and a simple standard interior was still the look at the painting time.

Within a few weeks, the purple 1946 Ford Coupe took a field trip to TJ for some affordable tuck and roll upholstery. The white upholstery was the rage at the time as the two other Chevy sedans also went to TJ to get the “teenager affordable” upholstery around this time. We were almost “locals” as the same guys in that funky side street upholstery shop thought they had gone to heaven, when we arrived with one car and another in weekly succession.

The purple 46 Ford Coupe had the best contrast as it was dark outside and pure white tuck and roll inside, including the roof, door panels and seating areas. When stepping away from the purple 46 coupe with the white tuck and roll, one could not help but notice how the whole interior just stood out from quite a distance. Upon closer inspection, it was a show car for everyday driving to high school and all around the cruising grounds. The purple color stood out in a line of hot rods and customs in the popular drive-in restaurant parking lots almost every weekend.

Jnaki

Anytime white tuck and roll upholstery is installed in any hot rod or custom, it just makes the paint job stand out. The purple color was outstanding and the contrast is/was amazing. It was a local color and was an “in” color for the times. So, yes, purple was period correct, at least during our teenage years of the late 50s and the 1960s in So Cal, at least in Bixby Knolls.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/46-48-ford-picture-thread.798516/page-28#post-12029054

HAMB member, @Chris from Spokane, had almost the same look, except his car was black. (and sold) If his coupe had purple paint and chrome reversed wheels, then it would be an exact replica of the one we cruised in, during high school.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  29. ahshoe

ahshoe

Here are a more 49 pics 004.JPG IMG_0470.JPG couple of my past PURPLE builds...I sold both

Elcohaulic and Ron Funkhouser like this.