Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Speedway 37-48 drum brake kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eldeano, Nov 4, 2019.

1. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Need to replace the wheel cylinders that came with the speedway 37-48 drum brake kit. In the Q&A section on the speedway site it says to use "1970's truck wheel cylinders". I'm sure i don't need to explain the problems with such vague information when talking to the local parts guy OR trying to search online. I've found some online that have the 7/16 x 20 inlet threads but i'm not sure of the bore size. Don't want to remove the existing ones to measure everything unless i have to. I'm hoping someone has some experience with this setup and or this request. The "tech" guy at speedway said to look for 1972 F150 2wd parts then said they sell them but gave me a speedway part number for a 37-48 Ford wheel cylinder, which makes sense because the brake kit is for 37-48 Ford other than that is not what is used in the application and will not work! Anyone have a part number for the proper wheel cylinder replacement?

Eric Satterfield likes this.
  2. Picture of your backing plate would help greatly.

3. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Frankly the best view of it is on the speedway web site. With my hub and hardware a picture of mine isn't nearly as good.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Isn't that a requirement when doing an R&R?

5. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

It's driveable as is with very slow leaks. Wanting to get parts before taking apart/replacing. Just looking for a wheel cylinder part number. Surely there are others that have used these parts. Figured i would find them here.

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Sacramento Vintage Ford has the wheel cylinders : right front #05250-0, left front #05251-0, right rear #05261-0, left rear #05260-0. They are $29.95 each, I have them in my V8 A, just filled and bled the system and no leaks,

7. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

M A. G just to be sure, you have the speedway backing plates or complete brake kit that i referenced? If so your information is great news to me and should help many others as well.

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Go to your local Napa store.

9. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

M A. G also can you confirm that all 4 cylinders have the inlet threads on the rear (pointing towards the back of the vehicle) ? Also i have flexible hoses connected to the cylinders with 7/16 x 20 straight thread as mentioned above. Do the cylinders you purchased match that criteria? Thanks in advance for any further info. Otherwise i will investigate those details.

10. Wilson Welding and Machine sells the 12x2 kit if that's what yours measure.You could contact them,and ask what theirs uses.In the old days guys would walk in to the parts store I worked at,and just drop them on the counter,and say find "um for me.I would measure the bore,and open the Wagner buyers guide which gave sizes,and connection thread used.Try a real parts store,and find the counter guy with gray hair.

Frankie47 likes this.
  11. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Irish - those were the days. I may find someone at NAPA here locally that will take the time for all that but i'm not counting on it. Also as i said the vehicle is still driveable and i sometimes need to move it so don't have anything to drop on the counter. Hoping to find the parts before doing the job. Thanks for the info.

12. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

M A. G those cylinders are not correct for the speedway kit. They are not compatible with the shoes. Thanks anyway. I'm back to researching the 70's truck applications. From what i've found so far they will be correct as long as i find the right bore size and inlet size. Also the bleeder and inlet configuration must match. Thanks to everyone who replied. Anyone who has replaced the cylinders that come in the speedway kit - would still like to hear from you. I feel i've been very explicit about the parts i need. With all due respect if you don't have part numbers or at least a resource that may be of help, please don't clutter up the thread with offhand comments.

13. alchemy

alchemy

What you have for brakes is totally unclear. Do you think you have 37-48 Ford brakes? No such thing actually as they are different over the years. Do you have a Lincoln style brake that bolts onto a 37-48 spindle? Did you buy a kit to repair your existing 37-48 brakes?

We need more info. A nice pic would probably answer it for us.

lake_harley and OFT like this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Speedways Info
    910-65420 Bendix Style Brakes for 1937-48 Ford Spindles, 12 x 2 Inch
    • Wheel cylinder inlet 7/16"-20 straight thread NOT 7/16"-20 IFF (correctly threaded hoses are included in kit)
    • Inlet fitting will require a sealing washer or O-ring style fitting
    • Bolt Pattern: 3-3/8" center-to-center both horizontally and vertically
    • Our flat plate steering arms WILL NOT fit this backing plate
    • Includes backing plates, shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders

I have to go with this then.
    https://www.macsautoparts.com/early...right-or-left-truck-except-122-wheelbase.html