Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just noticed this last night.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stephen Barrett, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Last night I noticed antifreeze leaking from one of my head bolts. Under further inspection I noticed there was silicone around the nut. Come to find out the stud was broken and the previous owner filled the hole with silicone and stuck the stud in the hole. Amazing it didn't leak sooner. The treaded part of the stud is still in the hole. Hopefully I can get it out with an Ez-Out. So I also started looking at the other studs and the look okay but I also saw carbon built up around two of my spark plug holes. I pulled the two plugs and saw teflon tape wrapped around the treads. The threads in the heads weren't totally stripped but they weren't very good. I hate to do it but I think I'm going to pull the head and Heal-a-coil them. Here are a few pictures. Let me know what you think. IMG_1606.jpg IMG_1612.jpg IMG_1607.jpg IMG_1611.jpg IMG_1609.jpg

2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heli coils on ALL the plug holes and Permatex Copper Anti-Seize on the plug threads when you put them back in. What kind of an asshole would use silicone to hold a head bolt in? Amazing:rolleyes:

Tim, 1947knuck, Hombre and 21 others like this.

3. a Dirty one would do that!

jeez that’s sucky

for what it’s worth pull both heads and check all the plug holes and head studs.

that’s butchery at its finest.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That would really make me wonder what other sketchy shit he did on the car :eek:. My confidence level would be really low on the scale after that.

5. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I most likely will pull both heads and Heli coil all of them. Thanks for the advice and the proper spelling of Heli coil.

6. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I'm not to worried about sketchy shit he may have done. Most of the car is very well built. I think it was more a moment of laziness. Although disappointing I'm still very happy with the car over all.

1947knuck, Hnstray, WB69 and 4 others like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Just goes to show when you think you’ve seen it all; you’re wrong.

9. That's beyond lazy. Good luck with it.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

All kinds of mechanical know how out there. Just so you and yours are safe take out your fine tooth comb out of your back pocket.:oops:

11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I never think I've seen it all. Nothing usually surprises me but I do shake my head quite frequently.

1947knuck, connielu, mctim64 and 7 others like this.
  12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Yeah you're right. Thanks.

13. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I will. Thanks.

1947knuck likes this.
  14. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Trying not to let it get to me.:)

1947knuck, 6inarow, timwhit and 2 others like this.
  15. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Kind of surprised it lasted as long as it did. I've been driving it daily. I'm glad I noticed it when it was in my driveway and didn't fail when I was driving it. Also made it to the end of the season. I guess I'll be learning a lot more about Flatheads real soon when I take of the heads next week. This is my first Hot Rod and my first Flathead. Hopefully no surprises when I get them off but I'm ready for what ever comes my way. Just trying to keep a positive attitude.

16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

There are several good Flathead books out there, I'd invest in one. You should probably replace all the head studs, most original studs are corroded, put thread sealer on them since they go into the water jackets, and torque everything even the spark plugs in the heads. Always use Anti-Seize on any bolt into the aluminum heads and intakes.

17. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks. I've seen a lot of good books and info plus a lot of info here on the HAMB. I definitely will be getting one or more books. I agree about the head studs also but a little nervous too. Hoping not to break more of them. Seen a couple of good videos about getting them out on YouTube.

1947knuck and osage orange like this.
  18. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Maybe it's just me, but the bolt on the intake manifold in your first picture doesn't look tight either. Looks like a little space between the bolt head/lockwasher and the lockwasher/intake manifold boss.

19. john walker

john walker

Look into a timesert kit for sparkplug holes. Nicer that hell-a-coils.

20. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Maybe it was a field repair that the PO forgot about, or didn't get to repairing correctly?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That's just because the acorns are just chrome caps over brass nuts. I didn't know this until I saw one cracked and pulled it right off the brass nut. When I change the studs I'm going to get real acorns.

1947knuck likes this.
  22. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That could be or he didn't want to go though the trouble because he knew he was selling it. Plus it worked for while. Probably wasn't looking forward to trying to get that head stud out. I'm looking at it as a learning experience. Hopefully having fun doing it.

23. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I will thank you.

1947knuck likes this.
  24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a bit of advice: Don't even try to use an EZ-out on that broken stud. You'll just have a bigger headache when it breaks off. EZ-Outs are harder than a whore's heart, and nearly impossible to remove without a lot of work, or high-tech EDM machinery.

25. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I looked into them and they are very nice but wow are they pricey. Have you had bad luck with Heli coils. I don't usually go the cheap route but my Flathead has such low compression an not much hp. I could use a good reason to use the Timesert kit over Heli coil. If I was building a race motor I would defiantly use the Timesert. They are superior for sure but I don't know if I can justify the cost. Help me out.

1947knuck likes this.
  26. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

OK. What do you suggest? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1947knuck likes this.
  27. Flathead Aaron

Flathead Aaron

I think we bought cars from the same guy. I had that happen also, and that's what lead to the motor rebuild

1947knuck likes this.
  28. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Hoping that's not the case but what ever it takes.

1947knuck likes this.
  29. I took some drill rod and made drill guides, in stepped sizes. Also ordered some custom length left handed drill bits. After soaking a month in Kroil, and ATF/acetone ... I took the plunge.

My input is near the bottom of page 1 of the following thread. I was very pleased with my results.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/broken-head-bolt.1103841/

30. Do yourself a favor before you pull the head, go to the Harbor and get a set of self centering center punches. The come in a set from 1/16” to one size over 1/2” and are the diameter of the hole in the cylinder head with a center point machined into the center of the punch. This will locate the center of the broken stud before you start drilling on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app