Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical States That Issue Titles Without Vins Or I.D.s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, Nov 3, 2019.

1. A while back I purchased a 1950 Chevy truck that was apparently cobbled together from a chassis and body with no paper trail. It's got a sticker, though, from the great state of North Carolina...........

panel-truck-5 - Copy.jpg

So far it's been issued crisp, new titles in my state, Texas, plus Arizona and Minnesota, I believe, without a hitch. There's no factory I.D. plate on the door jam, just the sticker. I'm assuming the builder(s) did this according to plan and skipped trying to come up with an original I.D.

Does anyone know the procedure NC uses to allow this and if any other states let orphan bodies began a new life in their 'Witness Protection Program"?
    Same question on which states have or could have a problem with NC stickered vehicles?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  2. oldolds

oldolds

Most states have a procedure to do issue a state vin number. I know in PA if you build a street rod out of a bunch of pieces and have a couple titles and enough receipts they will issue a state tag. For example you have a chassis from a 34 Ford with a title, or a store bought frame with a receipt, and a fiberglass body with a receipt, then it gets inspected by the approved place and people. The state will issue you a vin tag. The last one I saw from PA was a metal tag, but they might be using stickers now.

Boneyard51 and hudsonmand like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call it an assembled vehicle title or an assigned number.
    Scroll down to page 98/353 (in black band) and there is an explanation. upload_2019-11-3_13-49-16.png

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I believe Oregon State Police issue the VIN decal as well. Had one on my 1931 Model A pick up. No problems with title.

6. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Alabama doesn’t transfer or issue titles for cars over 25 years old. They simply issue registration slips when you buy license plates. Alabama does issue titles for assembled vehicles but you do have to establish a paper trail for major components which involves Bill of Sales that are signed, dated and notarized.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scrolling though looking for the NC info it seems that theirs is pretty simple. Have the right documents as to where the major parts were acquired legally and pass inspection.

8. GTS225

GTS225

Iowa is pretty much the same thing. You do have to have the "required equipment" on your built-up car, though. That includes, (but not limited to), a working wiper, high and low beams, safety glass in the windshield, (they look for the etched-in "bug"), shocks at all four corners, and even the little hi-beam indicator in the dashboard.
    Fortunately, we do not have a requirement for fenders or bumpers.
    Now, things do change if any part of your build had an original VIN. That will get you a bonded title, assuming you have proper documentation to prove ownership.

Roger

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What about insurance for a vehicle that is built like that.

Bones

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

11. Not every ins. company will insure assembled vehicles. Depending on your history and your credit rating, you may not want any part of this.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Depending on the state, some may do it but end up registering it as a current year model, making you have to meet smpg and safety regs.
    Bama is one of the easier ones, as long as you have a bill of sale for stuff, they'll issue a state number, or you can make up your own and they'll use that. I registered a homebuilt trailer with my own number, they didn't even want to look at it. Just told them it was homebuilt, had a BOS where I had bought some of the steel.

13. My uncle did it in 1949 on a jalopy he built........

14. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

In Texas I recently bought a ot dodge dakota, came from a estate sale and the guy I bought it from did not go back to get the title.
    It cost about $150 for a bonded title, $75 for the insurance bond and $75 to do the paper work at dmv.
    Then I had a clean bonded title and could sell it or whatever I wanted...

What bothers me, in Texas there is way to many vehicles for sale with no title, it just is not right.
    Someday a guy would run into issues with a bonded title if someone comes to claim it.
    if out of dmv system for 10 years it is ok, the dakota was out of system for 8 years and dmv sent a letter to the car lot it was purchased from 8 years ago. They had a option to produce title and come claim it.

15. gene-koning

gene-koning

The original post shows a vehicle ID # issued by the North Carolina DMV. That number is the identifying number for that vehicle and is accepted by nearly every state. Its probably easier to transfer then an original document.

What it basically says is the North Carolina has determined this vehicle has met all the requirements of the state to prove its ID, and has issued a new ID number.

I just bought a truck with a MO issued title, IL had no problem with it, they didn't even want a police viewing of the ID like they do on a lot of old cars these days. Gene

16. Gene-Koning is on the money with this info..My roadster has an Assigned Number decal issued by NCDMV.. I was told the same info
    Stan