Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

One of many English 'occupational' surnames. Many years ago, people picked up their names from what they did. "Robert the blacksmith" became Robert Smith.
    Fisher, Baker, Carpenter, Shoemaker (Cobler), Shepherd, Miller, Mason, Weaver, Brewer. Butcher and so forth. Quite fascinating.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In reference to all the posts about locks and keys, I use padlocks that are all numbered the same for my tool boxes and entry doors in the garage. I buy them from the big box stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. In each case of twelve lock sets ( 4 locks to a set ), the first 6 will all be the same number and the second 6 will all be numbered with a different number from the first 6 . Sure saves a lot of weight on the key ring.

Atwater Mike, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  3. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes...i am in a trade where we need to lock up control valves of fire sprinkler risers as per code. Most the time people lose these keys so we get our locks from a local key shop. We just give them the number of the lock and they supply us with as many keyed alike locks as we want. Usually buy them by the case of 12. We’ve probably got 200 locks out there all keyed alike. All out techs have keys so we can access any sprinkler system we need for service.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

That is a brilliant idea, I think I have one laying around to do that with.

5. I always keep a roll of kite string in the garage, works great for measuring or transferring from side to side on fat rounded fenders. I also will tape it on the hood body line and run it to the rear to keep all modified body panels in line, nothing like having crooked body panels.
    Pulling the strip magnets out of old refrigerator seals is worth it to have them to hold dust covers or what not to rounded surfaces.

6. I just did this the other day.

Boneyard51, swade41 and loudbang like this.
  7. eicke

eicke

There's a hole for that key along side the column in the last pic.

Also my two drill presses I have in the shop are controlled by foot pedals. Good for safety and frees up your hands for holding the piece you are drilling.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Watch your mouth in the garage! (R rated for language)

86540010-56bb-4b08-b50f-c5e4bc9b623b.jpg

9. 6sally6

6sally6

swade41...........WHERE do you find those"interesting/eye-catching pictures you post with your name? (I forget the proper name for them!) Do you have a larger picture you could post and tell us where you found them?
    I'm all ears........er I mean....eyes!! Sweeeeeeet is an understatement!!
    6sally6

swade41 and akoutlaw like this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

AVATAR........just thought of it!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    swade41 likes this.
  11. 6sally6

6sally6

I "invented" a new helper while wrestling with a header install. Cut some short pieces of all-thread or the head off bolts and use them for studs to temporarily hang the headers on. Way easier to get the other header bolts in when you can slide the header out a dab.....or around to get the first few bolts started.
    I also like to 'waller-out' the holes to the next size or two up to give more wiggle room when starting the bolts.
    You know to glue the gaskets(with RTV) on to the HEADS before the mounting process starts. Put 4 or 5 bolts in to hold the gaskets in the correct place while the RTV dries.
    That's just one less thang you have to fight with while doing this cuss-ed job.

12. indianbullet

indianbullet
    from Ca

In high school my best friend folks had Fords, the key from the 67 4x4 truck would unlock the 72 LTD but would not start it. But the LTD would open and start the truck. Lots of RV Fifthwheel garage storage keys are the same.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. slack

slack

I've got a "cheap" set of "Blackhawk" brand sockets that I purchased in the early '80s when I realized that I was going to need tools for the rest of my life. They have been well used over the years. I still have the original ratchet and I've never busted one of the sockets. I have seen thin-walled, six-point sockets that I knew wouldn't pass muster but it was glaringly obvious. I guess you have to know what you are looking for. In my case, I wasn't looking for another mortgage payment for tools like Snap-on. To each his own.

14. Mart

Mart

I do much the same. What might not be obvious to all though, is to start at the appliance end and end at the plug end. You can twist the plug but not the lawnmower.

15. woodscaper

woodscaper

Wasn't happy with the results I got with a chamfering tool on 3/16 brake lines, was digging around and found one of those 1/8" to 1/2" step drills and put it in a 1/4" hex screwdriver handle. 1/8" cleans out the burr on the inside and the next size chamfers the i.d. Perfect. Probably will work on the bigger sizes too, haven't tried it.

16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The silver sharpies are great for your shop. Once you use them you will love them. Order them off Ebay or Amazon in quanity rather than buying them one at a time. Then you always have one when you can't find the last one you had.
    Then when it turns up later you throw it back into the drawer with the other ones.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  17. nobby

nobby

if making a stainless exhaust system and are stuck for hanger positioning
    buy m10 or 3/8 stainless socket cap screws - or din-912's
    get them 4 to 5 inch long
    put them in a drill, spin the head on a spinning grinder into a ball
    so they fit into a 99 cent rubber do-nut
    weld the stainless bolt onto the exhaust

drdave and loudbang like this.
  18. atch

atch

Well; yes there is. But you gotta remember that at my age I probably would NOT remember to put the key back in there. And if I ever did remember to put it there I'd probably not remember where it is the next time I was ready to use it. On the chain it's ALWAYS where I left it and I always know where it is.

I've been meaning to put foot controls on my two drill presses and some other tools. Did you buy yours from Grainger or similar? Or make your own? Details/pix appreciated.

19. eicke

eicke

I excessively use Linemaster 632-s foot pedals. They are very durable and well constructed. I get them from the "Bay" usually under $20 new surplus. And configure them according intended use as I run a VFD on one press.

Just a note the Craftsman 150 you have in your pic is one of the best home shop presses for the money if you can find them used. Easy to replace the spindle bearings and have no trouble achieving .001" or less total runout. For a press they're pretty accurate.

ratrodrodder, loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  20. atch

atch

Thanx for the tip on the foot pedal. I just ordered one from "that auction site".

And on the CM DP, I actually have two of them. The bench-top model gets used exclusively for metal and the floor model for wood/plastic/etc. Love them. I've had one of them for around 45 years and the other for about 25 years. Never had a minute's trouble with either one.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  21. This is something i use at work ( I'm a goldsmith) for protecting polished jewelry and have used it in the garage to protect paint when putting in headlights, grilles and other pieces with tight spots, its "Finger Pro Tape" you get it on Amazon, I wrap my screwdriver shaft and pliers or any other tool I'm using, its a tape made of a soft cloth and sticks to its self but can easily be unwraped and leaves no residue behind. It's like $7 a roll, cheap insurance against chipped paint.
    51+nVGmLfHL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  22. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Good idea. Kinda looks like a narrow version of vet wrap, may be something else to look into. Vet wrap is usually a 4 inch wide roll but it’s a little cheaper than the $7 a roll if I remember correctly.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Mart

Mart

Three little things.
    A low profile easily made lifting device for flathead blocks.
    A home made holding fixture for flathead blocks on an engine stand.
    Modifications to the legs of the engine stand to make the transition from engine crane to engine stand easier.

All in this video:

You can see how the lifting device paid dividends in the back of the car. You're limited as to how high the boom can go.

Mart.

24. rgdavid

rgdavid

Mart..i like your videos,
    The speeded up bits make me think of benny hill and i think of the benny hill show music.

25. Mart

Mart

Yeah, all I need is some scantily clad french maid to chase around the place....

26. I was living in Calgary when the Canadian government made decision to officially convert to metric. Government rebates to buy metric tools. Weather reports went from Fahrenheit to Celsius. Still can't tell you what the temperature is! Lol. Of course speed limits are in kilometers per hour. How many kilometers do you get to IMPERIAL gallon or to the litre.
    Hard to teach old dog new tricks.

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock Tx

vetteguy402, loudbang and brad2v like this.
  27. Grantorino062

Grantorino062

When I have to replace drum brake shoes, I use masking tape on the friction surface. I assemble the brakes then at the end, I remove the masking tape. No greasy finger prints on the linings.

28. Engine stand................... DSC00947.JPG DSC00948.JPG DSC00950.JPG DSC00953.JPG DSC00954.JPG DSC00955.JPG

29. I do this as well

loudbang likes this.
  30. brad2v

brad2v