Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What is this old hotrod coupe body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corndog, Nov 2, 2019.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I need some help identifying this old hot rod coupe body. I am pretty sure it is a Mopar of some sort but hoping one of the Mopar experts on the HAMB can tell me what year and what model. It is a 5W body and looks to have had suicide doors. I dont coupe body (1).JPG coupe body (3).JPG coupe body (2).JPG own it, just ran across it. Too bad it is missing so many parts!! Thanks in advance for any help! C-dog

2. My best guess is '33 Dodge...but would need to see the dash and a side view pic to narrow it down further.

3. catdad49

catdad49

Looks like a '34 Plymouth/ Dodge, what's there seems really solid. What's the rest of the story?!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  4. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

No dash and I couldnt get far enough back from the sides to get a profile. What you see is what is for sale.

5. scotts52

scotts52

I agree with catdad. If it were a Dodge it would have firewall extensions. 33 Plymouth has the door posts slanted a little differently. The bodies are basically the same with Dodge otherwise. The model is based on the fenders and running boards. The shell is shared throughout the different models.

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Doors and deck lid?

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a wuss if you don't buy it.

Doors and decklid might suck a little to find, but that is a nice little body.

-Abone.

8. Look at the A pillars, If you can lay a straight edge up the pillar (inside the door opening) and it touches all the way up it is a 33 Dodge or Plymouth. If the straight edge has a gap at the base of the windshield post ( the posts are leaned back) it is a 34 body. Hope that make sense.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

Whatever Mopar it is, they look good on a Deuce frame!

nunattax, 29EHV8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Looks to be a 1933 Dodge with the single cowl vent.

11. It is a 1933 Dodge Brothers with that single, exposed cowl vent.

12. scotts52

scotts52

Not Dodge, it's a Plymouth. I have a Dodge. The cowl has what looks like cobbled on sheetmetal to extend the firewall out a few inches. Gives the occupant a couple more inches of legroom. Doors can be had easier than the deck lid. If you don't mind cutting truck doors down about an inch to fit, that's going to be easier than finding coupe doors. Deck lid is going to have to be home made or aftermarket fiberglass. Unless you have tons of patience. I've heard people with coupes say they've been looking for years to find an original.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  13. 33plymouth005.jpg Now that I look closer, the two door hinges would make it a Plymouth. Here is a similar body....everything matches. The indent just in front of the vent, the two hinges, the grooves on the sides/top of the cowl....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  14. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Dodger, so I am assuming that the picture you posted of the coupe in yellow primer is a Plymouth?

31Dodger likes this.
  15. verde742

verde742

Betcha ITS a Plymouth

16. Yes. With a different (Chevrolet) radiator shell.

17. Looks like an abandoned project at an abandoned property . Meth head scrappers probably stole what they could carry on their mountain bike. I knew a guy who had quite a few projects at his remote farmhouse. He went to prison for a while and all the projects outside were stolen.

nochop likes this.
  18. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

Good luck finding doors for that coupe.

nunattax likes this.
  19. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

34 Plymouth. That's what my avatar is.

4274SPEED likes this.
  20. Do you know the differences between the 1933 and 1934 Plymouth coupe bodies?

21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

They are a cool body style... They look chopped when they're stock 33 plymouth.jpg

22. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Not sure but I think the grill shell was different. Also the 34 had coil spring front end. I think this was the first year for that.

23. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Just ran across a driver's door for the body shown above. Found it on facebook.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. That stuff I already knew. The hoods were different, too. I was mentioning the bodies. I see no differences.

25. scotts52

scotts52

Grille is different between the 2 years. Also, the 33 cowl posts are more upright and leaned back more on the 34. There were several different models and thus different wheelbase but that difference was made up in the hood and running boards. Dodge also had a couple different wheelbases. The body shell is identical between the 33 Plymouth and Dodge except for the cowl extension on the Dodge. Same thing again in 34.

Jimgoetz is right about the 34 having a coil IFS. Except for the base models which still had the solid front axle.

Also, the front fenders are slightly different. Plymouth was smooth along the forward brow of the fender where as the Dodge has a little design to it. Almost anything can be interchanged as long as it all goes along with the correct wheelbase chassis.

jimgoetz likes this.
  26. Thanks for the lesson! Always willing to learn more about MoPars.

27. There is one for sale in the hamb classifieds now for 300 bucks

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have heard 4-dr sedans have the same doors as of coupes. I have a couple on a parts car. And a couple parts cars. The trunk lid looks like it`s a rumble seat car. You can flip it around and use it as a trunk lid. Latch handle would be in the same spot. But the lid is a bit shorter. All 33 and 34`s Mopar coupes have suicide doors. And they are all 5 windows. Coupes that is. Did you buy it? How much is it? And where at.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    oliver westlund likes this.
  29. Dodge and Plymouth had very nice styling--friend of mine in high school had a '34 Plymouth with a Rocket 88 Olds engine and trans in it. They had more leg room than the same year Fords.

30. scotts52

scotts52

I have heard that the 33/34 Dodge and Plymouth coupe were better than Ford or Chevy but they didn't make as many and the support wasn't there like with Ford so they got overlooked more.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021