Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects convertibles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunbeam, Nov 1, 2019.

1. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never owned one, but have always wanted one. Came really close to owning a 57 Pontiac convertible once. I have been told by friends tough that they suffer from the "never ever rule". That is, the first 30 days you own it, the top is never ever up, and for the next few years after that, the top is never ever down. I'd still like to have one though.

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've owned quite a few. Worth less than a hardtop? Like BJ says "when the top goes down, the price goes up". Camaros, mustangs, t-birds, vettes, and my 442 that I have been driving hard for 23 years now is a ragtop. My 34 is a droptop as well. I love em. Ill own more.

VANDENPLAS, hotrodjack33 and jimgoetz like this.
  3. exterminator

exterminator

4. In HS (70's) my family had a 64 Imperial convertible. My friends and I had a ton of fun in that car. Was supposed to go to me when I graduated, but those things never worked out in my family.

Been awhile ago now, but I had a 61 Lincoln convertible. Something I had always wanted and finally scored one via Hemmings. Loved the looks, and loved the car as long as something weird wasn't happening to it. Finally gave up on it and let it go.

I rode motorcycles for years, so the noise, wind and occasional shower that happens when in a car with the top down is really nothing.

Now I have a 65 Corvair convertible. Supposed to be going in for body and paint next month … but you now how that goes haha! Fingers crossed!

joeycarpunk likes this.
  5. Slick34

Slick34

I've owned 4 (so far) the first was a 55 T-Bird when I was in High School, had a 292ci and a 3 speed, beat the crap out of it. The second was a 61' Vette I got when I got back home from Viet Nam, had a 327 duel quads 4 speed, honduras maroon, black interior with a black convert top, (sure wish I still had that car). When my daughter was a Junior in High School I found a 69 Pontiac Le Mans, needed front fenders, grill and hood. Had a 350 with a 2 barrel, automatic, had it painted fire engine red, black interior with a black top. She loved that car, had it for 3 years. Now I have a not so friendly Hamb 07' BMW hardtop convertible.

jimgoetz likes this.
  6. Yeti Man

Yeti Man
    from NorthTexas

I love mine. The first one I had was a ‘63 Galaxie, now I drive a ‘47 Merc. Yes, on hot summer days it can be brutal, and yes, it leaks some when it rains. The payoff is, IMHO, worth more than the price of admission. Most days it’s a lot of fun, I’d own another one without hesitation.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've been looking for a 64-65 comet I have found several convertibles for less than 10 grand and hard tops run almost twice that much less mustang fast backs vs converts.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I have had 3, all in the 1950's - 60's. First was a 52 MG TD that I totally wore out followed by a 53 Ford and then a 31 ford roadster. Only have a photo of the 53 & would love to have that one back. Photo taken in 1958. Jimmie 53 ford.jpg

9. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

That was really a great looking car. My first car was a 53, 2 door post but not as nice as that for sure. My next one was a 57 convert.

10. Wow.....that cars about perfect!

11. squirrel

squirrel

started out with one that my dad got cheap, around 1970....I took my driver test in it in 1977, with the top down. Since then I've owned a couple that were projects, and I didn't really drive. But my wife has had a few different off topic sporty cars over the past 15 years, and I put the top down on them as often as possible when I drive them. She prefers the top up, unfortunately.

A few pics of the 61. It got my first engine overhaul, too....

1975c#JF579A.3-61Chevy.jpg 1975#JF413.12.jpg 1976#JF490.16-61Chevy.jpg 1976#JF464.01-61Chevy.jpg

12. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

My friend calls pretty women “ convertible worthy “ it’s not politically correct but he is 75 so he is allowed!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. I’m currently working a deal on a ‘64 Chrysler convertible that’s been parked since the eighties, if everything falls together I will go pick it up in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. One of two drop top Stockers I've owned. The other one is a year too new;)

283/ 250 hp 02-10-2009 12;44;29PM.jpg

15. fordflambe

fordflambe

Mine still blows grinding dust all over you when going down the road, but someday....................

Mar_14_2019_6x2s.JPG

16. Here are my past and present HAMB compatible converts. I’ve also had ‘69 vette, ‘68-‘70 full size GM cars and several late models.

D76BE3FE-BB8B-4AE1-A593-9CF109532CEA.jpeg C12AB67C-0AA6-47B3-8F33-5A8C8AB21B4D.jpeg E4A7E922-FAB3-4543-B7C3-7453E4FA882D.jpeg

17. Latigo

Latigo

Nice optional equipment on the red corvette.
    I had a 61 Impala convertible. Great looking car but noisy, cold and leaked. Found a nice 63 Impala and the convertible was history. Now, I wish I had the 61 back.

lothiandon1940 and scotty t like this.
  18. I don't consider my Vette as a "convertible" per se, They are called a roadster even though technically a roadster is not supposed to have roll up windows. But I guess I still have a convertible then. I have had a 58, a 59 and now this 65 Corvette roadster. Once you go Corvette, you never go without one. I have had 5 of them. I have had this one 36 years but its being rebuilt, haven't driven it in about 20 years or so.

P1010005.JPG

19. Squablow

Squablow

I really want a 40's or 50's era convertible at some point. I don't care if it's hot or windy or drafty or whatever. I have an O/T one that's fun but I want something earlier as well. At least here in Wisconsin, convertibles are rare and command a really big premium. Any 46-56 Ford would fit the bill nicely, or anything with fins.

There are a handful of cars where the fixed-roof brings more but I think it's really rare.

20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Bought an early GTO convert, my first new car. The top was rarely down but the rear plastic window was always unzipped, 5/60 air.;):cool:

21. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Like i.rant I always enjoyed my 55 Ford Sunliner I had in high school with the top up and the rear window unzipped. Of course warm summer nights I cruised the loop with the top down. I have not had much drive time in my current 55 Sunliner build but more was with the top up and rear window unzipped then with the top down. Now come spring, more top down time.

i.rant likes this.
  22. ken bogren

ken bogren

We've only had our 63 Falcon for 11 years. We had an OT convertible back in the 90s which I sold without any wifely input ... not doing that again :)

23. upspirate

upspirate

High School Buick.jpg scan0003.jpg Scan0005.jpg My first 3 sort of HAMB friendly convert/roadsters.
    The Skylark was a 65, so it squeaks under the wire
    Won't show the 124 Spider I had also

fordflambe and 40ragtopdown like this.
  24. 47ragtop

47ragtop

30 years of fun !! I sold it to get my 40 coupe . Later Bill

Attached Files:

fordflambe and 40ragtopdown like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have been in a lot of different convertibles when we were in our 20 something years. Our friend and neighbor had a cool candle business and I took some catalog photos for his business. He was doing quite well in those early mail order business deliveries and the local Sawdust Festival presentations.

One day, he needed more supplies and could not get them delivered to our neighborhood in time for his big order coming up. (no UPS or FED EX back then.) So, he came over to our house and asked if I would like to go up to Santa Fe Springs to an industrial supplies factory to pick up some stuff for his business. At the time, our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery would have been perfect for a pick up and delivery, but he said the load would over power the old suspension of the sedan delivery.

He wanted to drive his own car, a 1965-66 Oldsmobile 442 black convertible with fancy wheels and Redline tires. At the time, I thought my sedan delivery would have been perfect, but he convinced me that his special heavy duty springs and shocks he had installed would be more than sufficient for the delivery. He did not want my sedan delivery to be lowered in the back due to the weight of the purchase.

The day was perfect as a sunny So Cal day usually is, despite the long drive on the freeway to inland LA/OC area where the factory was located. He wanted us to feel the So Cal weather, so he lowered his convertible top and we took off for Santa Fe Springs, from beachside OC. Luckily, he had a killer stereo as the sound and wind swirling around us made a big racket. It was hard to keep up a conversation without missing some words.

Jnaki

The supplies business was on the same block as the original Moon Equipment business, then owned by Dean Moon. Of course, we had to stop in for a walk around and some window shopping. But, down the block, we had loaded several big boxes of chunk industrial wax for his business. The trunk was stuffed for the return trip home. This time, he raised the top and made us a little more secure for the trip home. The weight of the chunk industrial wax did lower the Olds 442 rear somewhat, but his “heavy duty” springs and shocks did the trick of keeping the look fairly level.

I have to admit, after looking and picking up a carton of that industrial chunk wax, those boxes would have made our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery look like it was taking off from the starting line at Lions Dragstrip. It would have been in the new era of Gas Coupes and Sedans. The look would have been the next generation of those gas coupes with the “nose in the air” style most everyone hates. Only it would have been created with the heavy boxes of industrial wax in the back.

The convertible ride with the top up was so much nicer on the way home, with much less noise blowing around. The rock and roll music was a perfect way to end the long convertible ride home to the coastal OC area. Convertibles are nice, but the noise might overcome the great feeling of just being in a convertible.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've had the same rag top for 40 years.
    In my 20s I never put the top up.
    In my 30s I put the top up in the rain.
    In my 40s I put the top up in the cold.
    In my 50s I put the top up in the heat.
    In my 60s I never put the top down.

ffr1222k, 1959Nomad and jnaki like this.
  27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

The old saying is still true for most cars in similar condition,......
    "When the top goes down the price goes up"

ffr1222k likes this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-12-24_4-30-4.png 1951 Pacoima, CA
    Hello,

Convertibles have an advantage during the Christmas Holidays, despite the cold 50 degree weather that rolls into So Cal. When visiting a tree lot, after selecting the biggest tree that would fit into a tiny apartment, the tree would plop right into the open area in a convertible. That was mentioned many times during our first couple of years of being together in our twenties.

So, I solved the problem by taking my 1965 red El Camino and plopped the giant tree into the back. No convertible, but a holiday problem solved. But, we still kept our eyes open for a nice convertible for the future.

My wife has always had this thing for convertibles (what girl has not had this same feeling…) despite being born in OKC and growing up in both states until 1957, she could still be considered a So Cal girl. At least her best years of growing up: Jr. High School, High School and College were all in So Cal. When her mom bought a Buick Convertible on one of their stays in Pacoima, she has had the bug of driving a convertible. During high school and college, there was no convertible, but the love of open air driving is So Cal was just there all of the time.

When we would see a young girl driving an open convertible down the coastal roads on a sunny day, the feelings jumped to the forefront. She wanted a convertible for her daily driver, including a sun tan and all that comes with being an owner. As a twenty something, that was the look for her. Who cared if her long hair was “Blowing in The Wind?” Upon arrival at a destination, just brush it out and we were ready for what ever situation was there. (It could not be any different than riding on the back of our Harley Sportster…) For a long time, that was the goal for her. (and we did look at a bunch of convertibles from a hot rod to what was offered from the current dealers…)

Jnaki
    upload_2019-12-24_4-32-21.png
    It took two friends who got their convertibles stolen that put a damper on the whole thing. It is hard to cut a hardtop with a knife, to get access to the inside and drive away. So, for many years, the yearning was always there, but she knew the practicality of owning a convertible. Geez, we even looked at a Buick Skylark and a Ford Skyliner as a second family car.
    upload_2019-12-24_4-32-57.png
    But, a couple of years ago, she saw this Ford convertible. It was a good thing the hot rod was not for sale, as our bank account would be minus a few dollars. She took the photos, liked the subtle look of the convertible and knew she was back in the game…
    upload_2019-12-24_4-33-29.png
    Convertibles are a “thing” with girls. Since my wife has been mentioning convertibles in conversations with our 14 year old granddaughter, there are influences that start the ball rolling. It does not hurt that in movies and TV, there is always a girl driving a convertible on PCH with the tall palm trees on the side of the roads. How can anyone fight that picture in the mind?

Well, for starters, insurance is sky high and the security of a soft top convertible is almost nil. So, there will still be cool convertible conversations with our granddaughter, soon. But, she might have to settle for having my wife’s all wheel drive, sporty, station wagon for safety and reliability.

29. [​IMG]
    These are cool, the best of both worlds. When they're working properly.
    [​IMG]
    ^Also a '57 Chevy only made as a convert, the hard top looks best to my eye.

30. rlsteel

rlsteel

I have had 5. Nothing cooler. Never seen a comparable hardtop be worth more than the same convertible.RLS