Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

that describes the 10mm perfectly...and every other f'ing tool I own!

loudbang, Boneyard51 and scotty t like this.
  2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

We cover ours with cheap saran wrap, using a little masking tape at times.

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@goldmountain , Amazon had them. I got a box of 10 for around 120 bucks. Not cheap, but not that bad either considering just 1 of them puts out WAY more light than 2 florescent. You do have to wire the fixture a little different as to bypass the ballast. otherwise simple install

Atwater Mike, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

5. I've lived in Canada my whole life.
    Was taught Metric since 70-71, at which time I was 7-8 years old.
    I still prefer to work in Standard/Imperial measurements.
    I don't know why, it just seems easier.
    Still make lots of trips to & from my toolbox.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  6. koolbeans

koolbeans

Refrigerator....solids up grease and doesn't run.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 41woodie

41woodie

Cut the head off various lengths of common sized bolts then use a thin disk or hacksaw to cut a screw slot in the end. They make great extra hands for installing things like exhaust manifolds, headers, water pumps etc. Thread the headless bolt into the threaded hole, slide the new part on it, then install the correct bolt in a different hole. If it gets too tight to remove with your fingers you have the slot for a screw driver. It's like having three arms or a buddy to help.

Fingers, Jibs, ratrodrodder and 13 others like this.
  8. If you need to hold small parts like screws, bolts and the like to screwdrivers or even when testing side trim or emblems in place to see how they look get some red Gouda cheese wax, that stuff when rolled around in your hands gets real sticky, I use it a work to hold gem stones in place, its easy to use, holds things in place surprisingly well and easy to clean off of things with a little alcohol or general cleaner, easier to get a good clear view of trim without trying to use tape which usually make it harder to get an unobstructed view. Has worked for me many times.... BigO

loudbang, Boneyard51 and j-jock like this.
  9. 6sally6

6sally6

Speaking of grinding wheel explosions(that's what they are!) When ever I change wheels....especially cut off wheels.... I hold the grinder under the work bench and turn it on first. IF it comes apart it will be there and not in my face.
    6sally6

10. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Now that I’m retired every time I buy almost anything for the garage I got to think, how much longer am I going to be able to use this thing? The cheap stuff is starting to look better.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slack, mountainman2, reagen and 7 others like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

12. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Harbor Freight tools are now "Lifetime tools" for me....

13. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

56don, KevKo and Leakie like this.
  14. Ha ha. This is becoming more of a reality every day.

1morecarIpromise! and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

My little contribution (and something some of you have made fun of me for). When laying out a frame for suspension work, I put the frame on stands and put blue painter's tape on the ground below the frame. Grab the plumb bob and mark references on the tape I can refer to later. Chassis centerline, crossmember mounting holes, etc. Makes locating axle centerlines really easy.

16. atch

atch

I have 6 bolts with the heads cut off just like woodie described. My drill press that I use for metal has 6 drilled and tapped holes in the table. I keep the 6 bolts screwed into these 6 holes (most of the time). When drilling steel I rotate the piece 'til it rests against one of these bolts that stick up from the table. And I have two of the vise grip type of clamps in the rear slots. No more wildly spinning pieces of steel any more. I also keep two of the machinist vises (probably not the correct name) nearby. Having the chuck key hanging on a chain keeps me from having to look for it every time I use the DP. metalworking drill press 01.jpg metalworking drill press 02.jpg metalworking drill press 04.jpg metalworking drill press 03.jpg

charleyw, Fingers, BradinNC and 13 others like this.
  17. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I just read this whole thread and found many useful tips. It's too bad I won't remember any of them when I get to my shop!
    As for extension cords and air hose I use the cord reels for them. 1/4" air hose fits on them nicely up to 100 footers. I mark the side of the reel with the length of the hose or cord.
    Another trick I learned when I got a fancy cell phone was to take pictures of stuff before I take it apart, and as I take it apart. Helps me when I try to put it back together.

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My Dad taught me how to “ coil” any , hose , rope ,cord, etc. It’s kinda simple.
    1: lay said cord, etc. out long.
    2: as you pull it towards you, roll it in your fingers one revolution every time you make a loop. Making sure the end of the cord can spin.

After you do this several times the cord or whatever will lay in a perfect circle, with no tangles. Then drop it over the wheel or hang it up.

Bones

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  19. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Many of you probably know about these, but I recently discovered the Metallic Silver Sharpie pens by accident. Glad I did, because they're great for marking on stuff that's too dark for a black marker to be seen. Don't know why it took me so long to discover them o_O
    20191030_145607.jpg

mad mikey, Chavezk21, drdave and 7 others like this.
  20. atch

atch

Amen on the silver Sharpie. I now keep several black and several silver Sharpies in several locations; shop, kitchen, garage, etc.

And speaking of Sharpies one day last summer I laid out all of my extension cords (one at a time) and measured them. I used a black Sharpie and wrote the length on both the male and female ends of each cord. Sure makes it easier to grab the one with the best length now.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I got a friend that must have 2000 keys. He used to work at a large salvage yard and always kept the keys. He has them sorted out as to Gm, Ford, Mopar. More often thst not he has a key that will fit! It takes time and patience to try them....... but it’s cheaper than a new lock or a locksmith! By the way.... his name is......Smith!

Bones

Tow Truck Tom, Fingers, brEad and 5 others like this.
  23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That reminds me of when my father in law parked his car in front of my sister in laws house for a Christmas do. He had a Granada and I had a Mercury Monarch. Just for a lark I tried my key on his door. It worked! So I drove his car around the back and I parked in his spot. When he left he came running back inside saying someone had stole his car. What are the odds?

Jet96 and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The odds are a million to one...... if your buddy locked himself out of his car!!

Bones

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

A Smithy , now I see where it comes from !

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I worked for a utility company , my Mother , has a crisis situation , she looked the keys her OT Tempo . She called me in rage , I just so happened to be in the area . Stopped in the work truck a Ford. . Took the key out , stuck it in the Tempo door and , I’ll be damned opened it stuck the key in the ign and fired it up also . Took her key to the pickup and it fired the pickup as if it was man for it . I was God .

charleyw and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. J53

J53
    from WI

I put my drill press chuck key on one of these retractable keychains and hung it on the side of the belt housing on top:

upload_2019-11-1_18-59-12.png

Attached Files:

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Silver Sharpies also work well for painting the chrome trim on model cars and trucks.

65pacecar and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If, instead, you reverse the roll over every other loop, you can throw the cord on the floor, pull the end, and it will cleanly unspool.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So true...back in the 60s I worked for Jerry Turner Auto Wrecking in Fresno, Ca. he had the same thing, key rings separated by manufacturer...never found a car that couldn't
    be opened or started with one or more of the keys...