Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1933 Dodge (lift-off top)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DougMac, Oct 27, 2019.

1. DougMac

DougMac

View attachment 4466918

After 28 years away, she is home!
    My Dad rebuilt this unique Jim Neblitt creation back in the late 80’s after he chased it for 10 years. After his retirement, he sold the car in the 90’s. After searching for the car for 6 years....... I found it 30 miles away from my home and was able to buy it! The car has been driven 29,702 miles since my Dad rebuilt the car. The car has unique hard top that was cut from the back of a 1933 Ford Tudor Sedan and cut 22 times to a perfect fit. 28 years later, I have a tough choice. 1.) Do I rebuild the car with my 3 Sons and my 76 year old Dad.... or 2.) share driving the car with my 3 Sons and my Dad.

Build it now, or drive it? IMG_2430.JPG IMG_2399.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  2. That’s the car? Drive that bitch!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Drive it! Enjoy the time that you still have with your Dad and make some memories. You can always rebuild the car later.

4. catdad49

catdad49

5. Drive it. If those are the current pictures, why rebuild it?

6. DougMac

DougMac

Pics are much better than in person..... paint is starting to crack and peel. Chrome is rusting, etc.

Boden and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. DougMac

DougMac

Thanks for the input. The car looks good in the pictures, but the paint is starting to peel and crack. Chrome is rusting, etc.....but we got it running and driving great as soon as we got it in our shop. I’m going to keep driving it until the time is obvious. Nothing better than sitting shotgun watching one of my boys or my Dad drive the car......

8. upspirate

upspirate

Drive it. You never know how much time is left.
    Nice car

DougMac and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. That's one Cool Hot Rod! Why can't you do both? I wouldn't change a thing from what I can see. Just enjoy driving it, Just do one thing at a time as needed. I would NOT do a complete tare down! Time goes by too fast! Your sooo blessed to have your dad and sons to enjoy it with. Take lots of pictures, and make lots of great memories together with it. Oh yeah, don't forget to share them with us too! :) Thanks Ron.......

upspirate, AHotRod, DougMac and 2 others like this.
  10. ...........Clean it up the best you can i.e. polish the chrome, wax the paint, touch up what you can and enjoy it with your Dad and kids while the kids are young and your Dad is still around. Make it safe, check the brakes, steering, fuel lines etc. etc. Like Ron mentioned, a complete tear-down and re-build can have a way of taking much longer to accomplish than first imagined. Drive it now, the re-do can take place down the road.

11. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Cruise......

DougMac likes this.
  12. DougMac

DougMac

I choose to cruise! My wife and I dated in this car. Went to prom in this car. Helped my Dad rebuild this car. Had suicide doors fly open street racing this car (locks were then installed). The car has a ton of miles on it (almost 30,000 since we rebuilt it in the 80’s) with the same ole Chevy 350 in it. It’s been to the LA Roadster show and back to Texas! After figuring out #2 and #4 plug wires were reversed.....she came alive! Pulled the brakes and checked them, adjusted the steering, adjusted the door striker plates and hit the road this weekend. My 76 year old Daddy was the first to drive it, then my boys. I even took my wife out on a date in it......28 years, 4 kids, a couple of foster kids later. God has blessed this old car guy!

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

The car is awesome, don't fuss over it, we all have character markings, just enjoy it with your family, we have no idea what tomorrow holds, trust me on that as I know all to well.

14. Loving the story more and more.:)

15. 26Troadster

26Troadster

drive it, and enjoy.

DougMac and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. 392

Drive for sure. Nice ride and history.

DougMac likes this.
  17. dang, enjoy that car, just fine tune anything thing you need, make it a keeper.

Funny thing I was just looking at the thread with the '33-34 Ford with the removable Hardtop last night.
    This one has a great solution.
    You should rig up a pulley system in your garage to lift of the top for the summer.

I'm looking into a custom hardtop, not Carson for my Caddy. For the winter.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    DougMac likes this.
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm gonna go against the common consensus here...do a series of big projects on the car (not a TOTAL rebuild) and get some "garage time" with your Dad.
    My Dad and I did lots of shows & cruising together, and in my mind the memories all seem to blend together. The REAL MEMORIES were all made in the garage...building his '64 Bronco & '60 T-Bird. Lots of bonding, beer and laughs!

He's been gone for quite a few years now...and I still miss him like hell

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Very neat car!!! Glad you found it, now go drive the wheels off of it!!!!

DougMac likes this.
  20. DougMac

DougMac

My Dad was the reason I searched and bought the car. Time with my boys and time with my Dad. Even if I continue to drive it, short projects to keep that time together while still being able to drive the car sounds like my best bet. Garage time mixed with some drive time..... and a cold beer or two along the way. Thank you for your input Sir.

21. ..........I truly appreciate what you're saying and in many ways I totally agree, but with a running, driving car with family history, I think the only real answer is to drive this one and get another project for everyone to be involved in. Damn, I should be a politician!:D:)

22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok guys, you have won me over to your side:D And bringing in a new project is a great idea (politically correct?)o_O

Incidentally, both my Dad's cars are still with members of the family,

23. I remember the car in the Neblitt form, always thought it was cool. Good to see it's still around.

DougMac likes this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Was it red before ?

25. Smiffy

Smiffy

Drive it, you can always work on it at a later date. Enjoy it while all you guys are together. Make some lifetime memories for the next generation while you can.

DougMac likes this.
  26. DougMac

DougMac

Yes sir. It was Maroon when Niblett built it originally. I even have pictures of it flamed after that. It went to another owner who repainted it a Maroon without the flames. My Dad completely rebuilt the car and painted it Red. Next owner left the red frame, but painted the car Black. Next owner painted the frame black......

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

How do I remember stuff like that.

kidcampbell71 and DougMac like this.