Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Ford Hubs..... were cars different than trucks?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harrison, Oct 29, 2019.

1. I’m cleaning up a pair of ‘48ish hubs I bought a few months ago. Planning to use them on ‘39 passenger car spindles.

The bearings (and races) on the outside of the hub fit the spindles just fine.

The ID of the bearings on the inside are at least 1/8” bigger than the corresponding bearing surface on the spindles.

A passenger car inner bearing will fall about halfway through the original inner race that’s in the hub.

The OD of a passenger car inner race is considerably smaller than the corresponding ID of the hub.

I’m wondering if I have truck hubs here. I’ve never heard that there was a difference but I can’t think what else might be the problem. Anyone ever run across this? IMG_7572.JPG IMG_7573.JPG Bottom line, I need the right bearings and races to get these things ready to roll

TIA, JH

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

3. alchemy

alchemy

48-ish? So maybe you have 49 hubs? We all know those are totally different.

From the angle of your photos, they don't look like 46-48 passenger hubs to me. You did add the studs, right?

continentaljohn likes this.

4. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

image.jpg Jim 1946 1948 hubs have the hub outside the drum and doesn’t look correct. With that being said according to the book it shows the same bearing in the rear between the years

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I ran into a similar issue with rear hubs 46-48 ford. They came off the same rearend but had two different inter-bearings. The both fit the banjo rear but the larger hub had larger roller bearings ... image.jpg

6. Andy

Andy

I think the OP has F-1 hubs. They do take a bigger inner bearing. I have no idea if anything would space right. The drum would probably be too far inboard.

Nailhead Jason and RICH B like this.
  7. Ok...... I said ‘48ish...... I remember now that ‘46-‘48 was outside the drum. Perhaps these are ‘37-‘41. Admittedly, it’s been a few years since I messed with any of this stuff.

The studs are original.

Thanks guys.

8. Andy

Andy

The hubs are machined for outside drums so not 42-48. Not 40-41 because those did not have the notch on the flange. They are likely F-1 or F100 as they had the notches. The flange was more outboard with the F-1’s so that is my guess. The F-1 studs had protrusions that fit in oversized holes in the drums. These are like that.

9. Thanks Andy. Sounds like F-1 hubs I guess.......

Damn. Anyone need a pair? I need passenger car hubs.

10. Andy

Andy

The matching backing plates are common and some later rear drums that fit are cheap. The hubs are the hard to get parts. I put them an both of my cars. They are self energizing like the expensive Lincolns.

11. Is there a bearing/race combination that will make them fit ‘39 spindles?

Thanks.

12. Andy

Andy

Yes. Done all the time. I did it twice. You just need the inner cones and then grind the radius so they fit the radius on the spindle. You would need the correct backing plates and drums. I have no idea if some other parts could be used.

13. [​IMG]
    Just fount this on another thread
    A 14116 bearing will fit the F-1 bearing race and the '40 Ford style spindle. You should grind a radius on the inner edge of the bearing to seat properly on the spindle.

14. That's what you need. F1 brakes are a major improvement over the 39 to 48 brakes. You will need F1 or F100 backing plates to go with the hubs. so first Identify your hubs, F1 and F100 are different. The internals are interchangeable. For drums, use the rear Drums for a 1966 ford bronco with 11 inch rear brakes. the fit and work perfect. I use shoes and hardware for a 1965 f100 front brakes. This will give you auto adjusting, self energizing front brakes.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Nailhead, does the newer Bronco drum work on both F1 and F100 hubs? I thought they had different offsets.

16. @alchemy I should have clarified, if you are using the F100 hubs and backing plates the early bronco drums work. the F1 and F100 are different, The F100 hubs have the hub face about 1/2 inch further out towards the wheel. I have not tried it yet, but if my measurments are right I believe rear drums from and 84 F100 will work on an F1 brake set up. Once again I have not tested it yet, but I will be this spring on my 32 Sedan chassis, I have 48 F1 brakes for that.

17. Just to clarify; '48-'52 F-1 and '53-'56 F-100 backing plates/brake assemblies are the same with 11" x 2" shoes. F-1 and F-100 hubs have different offsets; but use the same bearings, races, and seals.

The F-100 flange is closer to the backing plate by about 7/16". F-100 front drums are readily available from about any parts source. F-1 drums are obsolete in the parts aftermarket; but later drums will fit; '80 Bronco rear is a good application to ask for.

F-1 and F-100 brakes are self-energizing and are an upgrade from the early Ford Lockheed style brakes.

@Harrison since the offset of the F-1 hubs is only slightly different from the '40 style inside mount hub, you could use those F-1 hubs with your Lockheed brakes if desired. Need to make a spacer ring to center the larger Ford drum pilot on the F-1 hub. Picture is an old Ford drum; but a new repop would be similar.
    f-i hub ford drum (Medium).jpg 40.JPG f-1.JPG f-100.JPG

big duece, Beanscoot and Andy like this.