Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration It ain't a car part but it does the job - What have you used?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 27, 2019.

1. upspirate

upspirate

And we put down the RR crowd.
    At least ours is executed tastefully and not in your face meant to look like crap

2. Gabby

Gabby

Anyone who has worked in a office have seen the spinning racks that hold rubber stamps, the kind that are used to stamp info on folders, etc. The top is a 1/4 20 threaded handle so you can pickup the device, have use many for breather wing nuts.

Just Gary, LAROKE and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. You see a cupholder, I see a tachometer pod on the steering column or dash top.

4. Most everything posted looks like it could be a automotive part, I know my next one will make a few scratch their head, it's a Jif peanut butter jar lid that I used just a small piece to recreate the high beam indicator that I was missing on the astro dash on our '54 Ford.

[​IMG]

The plastic lid is hard to cut, especially when you only need a small round piece, the answer was as simple as picking up a leather hole punch with multiple heads and whack it with a hammer and I got a perfect round dot.

I had a couple more photo's to illustrate how it was done but thanks to photobucket they are no longer available. HRP

5. evintho

evintho

Made a turbo heat shield out of a pot. $5.99 at WalMart Speed & Marine.

[​IMG]

Cut it up and drilled some holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Originally mounted on my OT Mustang, now currently residing on the roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, used a discarded washing machine and made a ton of patch panels

[​IMG]

Rear quarters.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Door jambs.....

[​IMG]

Top of cowl and many others.....

[​IMG]

6. Plaque salvaged from an ocean-going steamship.
    This will be out of my hand and on the firewall of my truck within the month with the lettering filled and the brass polished.

plaque.JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  7. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Used a replacement locking garage door hancle for my tuk handle a couple of times. Even comes chrome plated.

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A winner? I want in on the contest.

SPREADER BAR; Stainless handicap bathroom grab bar (Home Depot)

HEADLIGHT BAR; Threaded rod covered with chrome sink supply line (Ace Hrdware)

TURN SIGNALS; 1950s Schwinn bike fender lights

HOOD ORNAMENT; Novelty pen, chrome cat

AIR CLEANER COVER; 1938 Ford hubcap
    32parts1.jpg
    TAILIGHT HOUSINGS; Stock taillights mounted inside cut down desk lamps (lowes)

32 parts2.jpg
    HEADER PANEL made from section of vinyl rain gutter (Lowes)

32parts3.jpg

I could go on....

9. Used these wooden screen door springs for wire looms between the door and door jam...ran the power window switch wires through them....1 buck or so each spring.jpg

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

VANDENPLAS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

I used a spring from a retractable ball point pen on my '40 Ford glove box latch.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 41 C28

41 C28

Wheel barrel firewall recess, chrome plumbing pipe for oil filler tube, Lowes shifter boot, flea market cake cover air cleaner. fw7.jpg IMG_4217.jpg shifter boot 2.jpg 001ac.jpg

13. evintho

evintho

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

upspirate likes this.
  15. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Boneyard51, Blue One and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I bought a race car one time that the rear trailing arms were made from 3 point hitches from a tractor. Adjustable.Actually worked good, and I would have left them, but the rules said "stock suspension only" and they stuck out like a sore thumb.
    I have used made-to- order hydraulic hose for fuel line, with JIC fittings so they would be compression fittings instead of hose clamps.
    I used a top off a spray bomb for a dust cover on a front spindle, duct -taped on, when I couldnt find the right one in the yard. I caught a lot of shit for that one, but it stayed on and I made the race.
    My old Model A had a radiator from a tractor when I bought it.
    And of course, welding lead for battery cables.
    I'm sure there are others, I just cant recall them right now.

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Inside door handle on my 28A,is cabinet knob,with part of a curtain ring as a hole finish. The rad over flow tank is Lunch box thermos. A few others I didn't pics of,so try fill in latter. 017.JPG 012.JPG

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Poop plunger?

hotrodjack33 and Blue One like this.
  19. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well not car related. I was working for aircraft engine company that was developing a small turboprop engine. Rather then fabricate we used a stainless steel soup ladle (handle removed) as part of the fairing for the intake to the compressor. Worked well enough the part was duplicated (at many many times the cost) for FAA certification.

41 GMC K-18 and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. J53

J53
    from WI

VANDENPLAS and upspirate like this.
  21. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Bandit Billy, thats a rubber roof vent or pipe flashing that fits many sizes of pipe.

Boneyard51, upspirate and Blue One like this.
  22. 41 C28

41 C28

Boneyard51, upspirate and Blue One like this.
  23. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Friend of mine, when he was in high school, took the chrome vacuum hose from his mothers Electrolux vacuum and used it for the steering column tube in his 34 five window. I don't think he ever told her he took it. He still has the car and it's still in it. He's 71.

24. I wish I had a picture.
    Before I had drivers license, I bought a cheap worn bike.
    Long ago I bought an early 60s Harley dirt track bike with no air filter.
    The only thing I had handy at the time was an empty metal Planters Peanuts can.
    I knife-cut a hole in the thin metal bottom for the carb opening and poked two smaller holes for the mounting screws.
    Then I poked a whole lot of 3/8 or 1/2 inch holes all around the sides of the can.
    Once I screwed the crudely perforated Planters Peanuts can to the single carburetor (Harley 250cc single cyl), I took a loosely knitted potholder, stuffed it loosely into the can and snapped the lid on.
    It may not have been the best dust filter, but it kept out the small chips, pebbles, grit, and debris from my dirt riding.
    To change a dirty filter, I popped off the plastic lid, washed the potholder, then snapped it back in.
    It certainly caught a lot of attention, laughs, and was a conversation starter.
    BUT IT WORKED!

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Boneyard51, VANDENPLAS and raven like this.
  25. GTS225

GTS225

VERY nicely executed, Evin.

"Walmart Speed and Marine"..... I find that rather funny.

Roger

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. 1pickup

1pickup

My bro was fabricating a trunk floor in a '41 Ford Tudor several years ago. The body bolts were in recesses, & he didn't have the tools (or knowledge at the time) to make them. Solution: He cut the vacuum advance off of a SBC distributor & welded that into the floor. Made a great little recess for the body bolt.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. wildwest

wildwest

I didn't take a picture, but on my last '32 I used a cut-off piece of barrel left over from shortening a Stainless Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt from a 7 1/2" to a 4" barrel for the spacer on the alternator bracket, I even left the front sight on it ! Just a nice heavy chunk of stainless tube.......

raven, Boneyard51 and dana barlow like this.
  28. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I changed out a bathroom sink faucet and was looking the old one over to see if anything was useful. Turns out, the knob on the rod that raises and lowers the pop up drain just screwed on with 1/4-20 threads, was chrome plated brass and was similar size and shape to the pitted up glove box knob in my '36 Ford pick up. No pictures, but it looks like it was made for it.

Gary

raven and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. mossback44

mossback44

Check out my avatar. That tail light bucket began life as a 3-inch PVC pipe cap. Necessity is the mother of invention and there aren't many actual 1932 Desoto parts available out there.

41 GMC K-18, raven and Boneyard51 like this.
  30. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interested in the vinyl gutter treatment...can you post a couple more pics and what you did here thx Ron