Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do I run a fan on this intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

So I have this intake. And I got a pcv [​IMG]valve for it. So that is covered. But the intake doesn’t have the generator mount on the front. So I’m using a head mount gen mount. But everyone says I can’t run the fan off the head bracket. So what have other people done. And I don’t have room for it on the crank

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. There was a thread just a few days ago about this. It showed similar intake to yours & it had a separate fan bracket that I believe bolted to the front head bolts?? Perhaps someone can come up with that link. Jimmie

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Boden. The bracket mentioned in above post is kind of ‘horseshoe’ shaped and I believe it attaches to the manifold using the forward two bolts on either side. I saw that thread. Said the bracket is quite rare. However, one could be fabricated.

Ray

Boden likes this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think it would be possible top make a steel generator mount that would bolt in place using the front 3 or 4 intake bolts.
    You first would have to make a model out of wood.

Boden likes this.

5. Boden

Boden

Yea. I was looking for that. Good luck finding one. Lol. As soon as one is for sale it is sold the same day. Been looking for a while.

6. Boden

Boden

Thats what I was planning on. But I thought I’d ask

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Flathead Dave and Boden like this.
  8. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

@ol-nobull That's his thread. He's started a few asking the same question and gets the same answers

Texas Webb likes this.
  9. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You might just have to put yourself back in time a bit, and make the thing yourself. Granted you are probaly not going to take the time and effort to sand-cast one (although you could), you can hand fabricate something like that from some mild steel plate. That's kind of how hot-rodding started. You couldnt always buy every piece you needed. The big guys got started mass producing things they made by hand, that others saw and wanted.Good Luck

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    19Eddy30, Budget36, Boden and 3 others like this.
  10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

One Solution From The Past... DSCN3150.JPG

Hnstray and Boden like this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

Boden, you should just add to the original thread. We don't need a million threads about your search for the same bracket. You aren't helping your search by confusing everyone with multiple threads.

As these guys have said, you can make one yourself. Find a sheetmetal shop and have them bend some 3/8" steel into a U shape. Then weld some flanges onto the bottom edge to bolt through. This way you can adjust the length of the bracket to fit your fan spindle perfectly and your alignment will be spot on. I bet you would have less than $50 in the steel, and a fun evening in the shop carving out the parts.
    Bodens bracket.jpg

I think it's hilarious when you say you've been looking for one of these brackets "for a while". What's it been, a week now? There are rare parts I've been searching for going on 30 years now.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

There are lots of these type brackets on Ebay, as previously mentioned.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  13. Boden

Boden

14. Boden

Boden

That’s what I’m going to do. Go get some welding wire form my local welding shop and get some metal.

15. Boden

Boden

I’m using that. But the fan would be offset and. It in front of the motor

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. Boden

Boden

I’m not looking for the bracket. I just want to know how to mint the fan without that bracket. I wouldn’t be able to use that bracket anyways.

17. Boden

Boden

Haha. It’s been a few months now. But it feels like a while when I look every day. Haha

18. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Look on Instagram under Meteor Motors.
    It shows the one Matt built for his truck

Boden likes this.
  19. Boden

Boden

Lost my old account and it won’t let me make another

20. Boden

Boden

That looks like it is a crank fan?

21. Sorry this is the image I meant to post. I'm sure there has to be something similar to this that comes off of the heads.
    5186423394_86026947cf_z.jpg

302GMC, lothiandon1940 and LOU WELLS like this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

Hueso, note Boden's intake doesn't have the mounting boss on the front. He can't just bolt the stock Ford fan spindle on there like your picture shows.

Lots of confusion here because these guys must never have seen an intake without the mounting boss. I'm beginning to understand your frustration Boden.

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still think the best solution here would be to get a proper 8BA intake manifold. I would bet that that old Weiand would bring more that the correct manifold would cost. Some times you just have to "bite the bullet".

"El Hueso", remember he is working with an 8BA with the water outlets on the front. I bought one of those at a swap meet once to use on an 8BA; trust me, it will not work.

24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well, remember when we were young and at the start of school week , Friday seemed to take forever to come and summer vacation seems like an eternity away. As we get older, we want to push back and make time stretch out. Unless you are still working .:D

25. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

You don,t need an account to look at his page

26. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Boden, seems like a lot of work trying to adapt that intake to an 8BA.
    If you simply sell that intake and get a replacement ( like I suggested before)
    You’d save yourself a lot of work and headaches.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  27. Boden

Boden

That can mounts to the intake. I don’t have the intake mount

28. Boden

Boden

I got this intake as a present from my grand parents. I’m not selling it. I know it is a lot of work. But I am willing to do the work. I hear the same thing over and over. I don’t meant to be disrespectful. Honestly. It’s just getting old. I have to use this intake. I don’t have a choice. I just want some pictures of people with this intake running a fan. Just some ideas so I can fab a mount. Thanks

29. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey