Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Stolen pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hacknwhack, Oct 28, 2019.

1. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Anyone else have their build thread copied and made into a utube video?
    I've seen two now of my build.

I'm not exactly happy about it.

Knowing someone else is making money from it....
    Is there any copyright to our builds or pictures?

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Yep, when you make a copyright complaint, the material is yours unless you sign away the rights. Youtube should take down the videos.
    My information is a year old, but I don't think anything has changed in the interim.
    I did some researching and came up with a bunch of worthwhile links and answered questions.
    If you a google search using this string:
    "Copyright in the event where someone else has uploaded your video material on youtube"

The way I read this, if you have not posted your videos on youtube, and you have not surrendered your copyright, the material is still yours.
    Bob

hacknwhack likes this.
  4. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Thank you, that's very helpful.

I also contacted a copyright lawyer.
    I'll let you know what happens.

lothiandon1940 and j-jock like this.

5. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

6. When you get into legal crap, it is never easy.
    Bob

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I think everyone gave you great advice about contact U-Tube

At this point I personally would not get a lawyer involved because most of them charge around $300.00 to $350.00 dollars an hour and something as small as this can easily cost you $2,000 dollars or more!

Just my opinion but I have spend a small fortune on lawyers over the years and they love cases just like yours.

Jimbo

j-jock, Old wolf, hacknwhack and 2 others like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How did you find this video ?

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I had the same thing happen. I contacted You-Tube and made a copyright complaint. You-Tube forced them to remove the content within 24 hrs. I got an e-mail from the person a few days later pretending to be all butt hurt and hoping I would give them permission to use the content. I politely explained that I did not appreciate my content being used with out my permission and if they had asked permission right away I may have considered it, but at this point they could go piss off as far as I was concerned.

A friend of mine actually found the video. He had/has a habit of spending the better part of his working day surfing You-Tube.

swade41, slim38, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  10. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Good luck...I'm curious to see what results. There are multiple such Youtube channels that grab build pics from forum threads and compile them into slideshows set to music. Some cite sources, others do not.

hacknwhack likes this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

12. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

hacknwhack likes this.
  13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm a bird nerd. A few years ago I had a pic stolen (my avatar) and it was being sold. I contacted the person directly and asked that they not. Sales quickly ended. Thieves come in many shapes, sizes and forms...I guess it's the times we live in now.

14. I had a build thread on another forum. It was very detailed over an extended length of time. My son found a video made out of all the pics. The person was quick to give credit to the build on the website. My son didn't like this because I was not receiving any revenue from it. I consider all pics on the internet to be public domain. Look at all that are copied and posted on this website. Now the OP's statement was pics, not video's. If somebody used your video, I believe you have a valid point. Pics, not so much. We all use the internet for a source of info and communication, not so much for a source of income. Just to add to this, the video of my project has 1.6 million views. If you research the current Google - Youtube agreements, unless you have more than 1000 subscribers, you will not get any advertising income. I have done my own project videos on my channel. I have requested permission for the use of music for the back ground. All the artists I have contacted have just asked for their info and purchase info to be listed in the credits. These aren't top 40 artists that I know, either. If you had to deal with Sony, I'm sure the results would have been different. At some point, do we need to ask ourselves why we do build threads? Maybe our own answer is the bottom line to this discussion. :)

15. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Google

16. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I filled out a copyright infringement form.
    My copyright lawyer suggested that as a first step.
    Very simple to do.

We will see how long it takes, for YouTube

If any thing happens,
    I let you all know.

wraymen, Copper Top and Speed Gems like this.
  17. cederholm

cederholm

You have a copyright lawyer? Impressive! ...good that you found the video, hope it all turns out well for you.

~ Carl

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The reason I started putting a mark on my photos was because some ass on Instagram was grabbing my photos and reposting them without giving me any credit. It pissed me off. I sent him a message asking him to please give me credit when he reposts my photos. I didn't hear anything back from him, but he didn't stop stealing. So I started putting my mark on them, but I put it down low and to the side. He started trimming it off and still reposting without giving me any credit. I sent him another nasty message and then blocked the guy, but what a dick.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My watermark is staple holes in the corners on my older pictures. I always try to mention when I copy something out of a magazine or use someone else`s picture. This practice is seldom used on the HAMB. Give credit where credit is due. It`s the only right thing to do. Scan0071.jpg

hacknwhack and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Give us the links to the videos. We can all add comments to it that we heard the guy stole the content, and that litigation is imminent. Chances are the thief willl pull the videos pretty quickly. That will work a lot faster than getting a lawyer involved. Plus we can make the guy real nervous about ever doing it again.

swade41, hacknwhack and 19Eddy30 like this.
  21. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

X2

hacknwhack likes this.
  22. I had 52 videos on YOU Tube, they started pulling them because of music copyright and somebody on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean decided to post a few as if they were theirs. I decided to hit the delete video button on what was left.

23. adam401

adam401

A few times Ive seen a build thread video while scrolling through YouTube that peaked my interest. Its so dissapointing when you click on it then figure out its a slideshow put to music. Who actually watches those? Seriously I have no idea why they exist.

hacknwhack likes this.
  24. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Agreed they are awfull.

25. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Now that's a possibility.

26. arkiehotrods