Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Production

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colesy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

These were monsters with a BB 396/427.... I'll bet they were a real handful at 130+ with that flimsy coil over control arm suspension!!

66 Chevy II.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

That is from Pittsburgh area. Ed Matsko.

enloe, loudbang, chopper99 and 2 others like this.
  3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did anyone ever post a pic? Would love to see it.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  4. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Ryan did a long time ago.

loudbang likes this.
  5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I believe the 55 & 56 cowl is similar but a 57 is pretty different.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

31 HRG you are correct, 5s & 6s have a grill in cowl 7s do not. 5s & 6s have battery box on firewall 7s have air duct heater box (on deluxe) with venting behind headlights to passenger compartment. And I think the shape of the hood is different where it meets the cowl, 5s & 6s have a bigger arc.

Pat

8. loudbang

loudbang

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Billy Lagana or maybe Bobby Lagana but I know that Billy started out with that car when new lettered in "Locomotion" and "Oak Hill" Chevrolet. It was one of the cars that got me started on the path to the world of drag racing.

Pat

10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I have to get a set of ET wheels for my 69 el Camino before I die! That 63 looks fantastic with those thick spokes...

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  11. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I believe that Champion Auto '63s fenders are lettered Aluminator, not Eliminator. Very interesting. Also, the Gatto Belair in some photos with it was also a Champion Auto car. A team with two cars was not to be overlooked! Also affiliated with Fred's Speed Shop (his '62 wagon seen in one photo). Again, very interesting history here!
    Verne

12. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Which car are you talking about Pat?
    Verne

loudbang likes this.
  13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Wguy, the 63 Impala hdtp running A/MP.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  14. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Good call Pat! Hey loudbang thanks for the pics from Dover never seen pics of this car from its MP days. This car still exists and is restored, but I haven’t seen current pics of it.
    [​IMG]

15. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Yes, the '63 MP car is the Locomotion-II Z-11 car with later lettering. The car is restored now.

Modified Production didn't allow replacement lightweight panels but since that car was originally produced by Chevy with the aluminum parts, I guess it met the class rules.

Bowtie Coupe, 1934coupe and loudbang like this.
  16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any of you Delaware guys know if this car is still around??

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Pat:
    I can never which of their sons is with the Capco Top Fuel team

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jimbo it is Bobby's sons Dominic and Bobby Jr. there was a third brother that raced also, I just can't remember his name. I think it was Harry and his son's name is Tom Lagana. He didn't live to far away from me but then moved and I have not seen Tom in about 4 years.

Pat

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  19. jimdillon

jimdillon

I am doing some research and have a note and a few references that Deloy Naeb won class (C/MP) and street eliminator with his 58 Corvette at the 1965 NHRA Tulsa Invitational but Hot Rod magazine states that Gene Moody won street eliminator with his D/G Chevy. Anyone have the actual results handy?

enloe and loudbang like this.
  20. Jim, The World Finals may have been at Tulsa that year. Considered an invitational..You had to be in the top five in your category.
    www.nhra.net/50th/results.asp?mYear=1965

enloe likes this.
  21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks Mark. I find it difficult to find the class wins for the major NHRA events in the 60s beyond what you can find in some of the magazines (Hot Rod, Car Craft SSDI etc). I contacted the NHRA to see if the records were available but not sure they make them available. If you were to google Deloy Naeb's 1958 Corvette called "The Pooch" you would see that they claim (several different sources which may all be in error) that he won class and street eliminator in 65. I know he did well in 1966 at Tulsa and have that confirmation. I have not been able to confirm 65 but then again I have never seen a complete breakdown of any of the Spring Nationals or Tulsa World Finals in any form in the 60s. It anyone knows of such a source of a complete class win breakdown I would certainly like to know about it. Hot Rod was pretty decent on coverage with detail about the Winternationals and U.S. Nationals but pretty thin on other meets IMO. Thanks for the response and I believe the articles on Naeb to be in error-just double checking I suppose.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That looks like my old car! Probably not though, I sold mine in 68/69 before going over to Vietnam.

Pat

Attached Files:

24. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Jimdillon, I don't have the actual results from 1965 Tulsa but here is a photo of Gene Moody with what is supposed to be the 1965 Street Eliminator World Champion Trophy. The car still exists and the current owner has much of the original memorabilia that he got from the Moody family. The 1965 World Champion Jacket may be part of that.
    65moody.jpg
    Moody2010CHRR.jpg

25. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

Here's another picture of Gene Moody with the Street Eliminator trophy wearing the jacket and a couple of the car running at the event in Tulsa. I am 99% sure that Peter has the jacket with the car. Gene Moody Street Eliminator Trophy.jpg 7-18-2013 8-28-06.jpg 7-18-2013 8-29-20.jpg

26. mopacltd

mopacltd

The Moody car has been to many car shows here in Arizona over the past 10 years or so.

loudbang likes this.
  27. jimdillon

jimdillon

I believe that Gene Moody won street eliminator, as my records seems to confirm that. I am trying to put together some form of history on solid axle Corvettes and wanted to clear a question I had in my notes regarding Deloy Naeb. I have several references about Naeb winning street eliminator which I believed to be in error but did not want to sell him short without double checking. Your picture of the trophy and the NHRA records that I have seen (what Mark posted) confirm the error in the various sources for Naeb. Plus Hot Rod also states that Moody won.

Here is just a sample of references in the articles I have on "The Pooch". I believe someone made an error in crediting him with it and as is often the case the error seems to become "truth".

"
    • Perennial NHRA division class and street eliminator winner.
    • NHRA D/MSP national record holder —- ET 12.69
    • NHRA D/MSP national record holder —- MPH 109.94
    • First NHRA division 5 car to win one of four annual national events
    • Winner of class and Street Eliminator title at the 1965 NHRA Tulsa Invitational meet.
    • Winner of class and World Street Eliminator title at the 1966 NHRA World
      Championship Finals ".
    I now know that my records will remove any reference to him winning street eliminator in 65 at Tulsa. I still do not know if he even won class at that meet in 65. I will will keep searching for that. Thanks to all.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and 1934coupe like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've seen it a few times at the CHRR, very cool piece of drag race history.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I know that Dick Moroso went to this event back in 1965 but I believe he lost to Deloy Naeb on the final run for the D/MSP class.trophy.

He left Ridgefield, Connecticut headed to Tulsa but only got as far as Pennsylvania when the transmission on the ramp truck let go and he called and told one of the guy's to bring the open trailer to meet him and they loaded everything on the open trailer and went on to Tulsa.

Jimbo

30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Just when I thought I had the mystery solved, after Jimbo posted I tried looking up Moroso and the class he was running at the time. Naeb ran in C/MP with a 283 bored to 286 in 65. He ran in D/MSP in 66 with a 265 bored to 268 which fit him in the class. While looking for Moroso, I reread my 1966 January Car Craft and it said Moody won Street Eliminator but they have a picture of Naeb in his winning street eliminator run. After rereading the article, in 65 they ran the Tulsa World finals but another event was being run at the same time called The Tulsa Invitational, designed for top quality cars not competing on the points trail. As Emily Litella used to say on Saturday Night Live-"Never mind".