Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hilborn Pump / Magneto Drive Info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by $um Fun, Oct 25, 2019.

1. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I have a Hilborn pump/magneto drive for a 392 Hemi and trying to figure what magneto and bottom combination fits into this. hilborn2.jpg Hilborn.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Any mag or distributor that fits an early Chrysler V8. You do need to shorten the drive shaft, It only drives early BL Hilborn pumps. They have not made them in decades. Blade pumps. Blades wear out and they never pumped a lot.

3. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Rich! I have the blade pump and volume wont be a issue. I need it for the restoration of the second Markley Tank.

4. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

I think even the Chevy version of the magneto fuel pump drive takes the Chrysler mag.I've had a couple and mine were both made for the PG pumps

loudbang likes this.

5. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

RichFox-were the BL pumps the old brass bodied pumps?If so have you checked with McMaster-Carr?Look under rotary vane pumps for water.OOOPS-I think the brass pumps were even before the BL pumps

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

They were made by Hilborn. I think they still service them. I used one on my Plymouth banger. Worked for that. Is your drive for the pump a slot or hex?

7. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Since Holley bought them, I don't know how long they will do it.

8. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

mine were both hex drive

9. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

The Hilborn BL pumps are a pretty simple unit. Hilborn still know about them, but only just... took them some time to find someone in their shop who could answer my questions. Attached below is some info from when I overhauled mine. Pretty easy DIY task.

Cheers,
    Harv

Attached Files:

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In 1964 I ran a 260 inch Dodge with the exact same drive Sum has. BL pump that came from Hilborn with the injectors. On gas. Got it from Goodies Speed Shop on Race St. in San Jose. Next BL I had came with a Y block set and I used on my '32 Plymouth banger. Worked well. We now use a Rage pump.

Attached Files: