Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is there a patricular car that you have always liked but never owned

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Always wanted an old Jeep pickup or station wagon, preferably station wagon. 2 wheel drive version. There used to be a '50s Jeep wagon around this area that looked bone stock but had a '50s Packard V8 in it.

2. I can think of at least 3.
    52-3 studebaker champion hard top
    57 vette, had a 59
    65 riviera
    And maybe this
    7959A376-3F90-4411-8E04-92A80C128A2C.jpeg

dana barlow likes this.
  3. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

65 Plymouth A990. I almost got it but $5,500 was just too much. The car had raced SS/B Auto the previous year. I knew the car- Guess who built the torqueflite.

4. enigma57

enigma57

There are a few. But one sticks in my mind...... When I returned from the service (1st enlistment) in October of '67, I bought a black '57 Ford 2dr sedan to get to work in. It was the short one with hardly any side chrome.......

[​IMG]

Later, I added a few custom touches including '58 Edsel station wagon tail lights and the extra lower fin that went with them.

Anyway...... What I always wanted to do is build an Edsel Ranchero. Take a '58 Edsel wagon and a '57 Ford Ranchero and build the Edsel that Ford never made. Just as if it was 'stock'.

Of course, I'm probably one of only a handful of people on the planet who think the '58 Edsel grill is good looking. But that's OK. If I were young enough to build it, I'd keep it forever.

Stock '57 Ford Ranchero......

[​IMG]

Stock '58 Edsel station wagon......

[​IMG]

'57 Ranchero with '58 Edsel station wagon tail lights and front sheet metal (a bolt-on)......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best regards,

Harry

thegreenbuzzer and arkiehotrods like this.
  5. #1 1932 Ford 5-window coupe. There was one that was "abandoned" just east of Blaine, Wa. in the '60's. The fenders had been pulled off and it had an early Hemi in it at one time. Just sitting behind an empty house... It took a couple of years, but I finally tracked down the owner in the early '70's. Not For Sale! And then it disappeared just before a friends dad bought the house a couple of years later... haven't a clue where it went. I think that the dropped axle in my A roadster "may" have come from that '32.

#2 Cobra; nuff said.

6. redoxide

redoxide

im building mine now . 30 coupe, chopped 3 inch flathead V8 drum brakes banjo rear and redoxide primer .. took me over 35 years to get around to it .. and roughly 4 months to just about see it done, minus a few odds and ends.. but there is light at the end of the tunnel.. I helped a few of my buddies along the way which always kinda got in the way of making much progress on any project that was ongoing at the time .. So sold off a ton of equipment, stopped doing stuff for other folk and pulled together the junk I had been collecting over the years :) hence the reasonable build time .. loving it . 25 years to late and to old to look cool but I have a feeling im gonna be taking a trip back in time when I get this old bitser (bitser this and bitser that ) on the road ... Im gonna have one big grin on my ageing chops .. It might not be fast, but it will make the right noise and the smell of my sneakers melting will remind me im in a raw hot rod :)

DSCF6337.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    34 GAZ, waxhead and s55mercury66 like this.
  7. I have some Car's that I would like
    GT 40, Kaiser Daren, and 1964 AC Cobra 289-270 hp.
    which I Serviced it for about 5 year's
    and the One Car that I sold that to this Day I regret which is a
    1935 Chrysler Conv. Coupe Dual Side Mounts Rumble Seat
    Strait Eight Standard Shift.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

8. 4tford

4tford

Well being 73 I've owned plenty but not enough yet. So my list now would be:

58 impala
    63 ford 427 fast back
    57 olds
    57 chevy
    64 Pontiac Catalina 421 4 speed

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have my two "bucket list" cars: A '56 Nomad and a '40 Ford coupe. If I never get another car, I am quite content.
    But since you asked, I have a list of about 60 cars that I think would be cool to own. One in particular comes to mind, a '56 or '57 Continental Mark II. Those cars look customized from the factory. I will be back later to edit with the full list of "like to haves."

10. So this week I went out and got that '50 I've wanted so long. A friend and I drove half way across the country and back to get it, but now it's home and ready for some TLC.
    1950 Ford.jpg

11. donno

donno

'50 Old's 88 2 door or Coupe. Sell my soul.

12. carbking

carbking

Several, some of which are import, so will not mention.

1956 Pontiac 2-door post
    1962 Pontiac Tempest with 215 engine
    1964 Studebaker Hawk GT

Will I ever own any of these? Nope, still working on existing projects.

Wanted to modify the 1956 Pontiac by adding 455 with 1960 389 modified cylinder heads, and a 1956 modified dual quad intake. Sitting on top would be a pair of 700 CFM Rochester 4G carbs. With hood open, should fool virtually anyone not owning a 1956 Pontiac dual quad that it was totally original. Paint the car like a NASCAR version from 1956. I do have the intake and carburetors............................

Jon.

13. 4tford

4tford

58 impala, 57 olds, 64 Pontiac catilina convertible.

14. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a lot of cars but this is what I always wanted(15 ounce) one hell of a Drag Car!

Mark Hinds likes this.
  15. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

One more than any of the other I have wanted is a 1959 Chevy 2-door in any series but I gave up on that years ago.
    I got tired of looking at turds that were not worth hauling home or worth my time. I invested over 20 years searching for one I could afford and was worth dumping money into to no avail. I gave up in 1999 and moved on after the last one I went to look at.
    It really pisses me off when people do not describe their vehicles accurately and this one really turned me inside out. I responded to a add for a 1959 Chevy Impala way south of where I live, more than 3 hour drive. The guy said it was completely original, factory red paint, factory red interior. It was a 4 speed with a 348 in it. His cousin bought it new and he got it from him in the mid 60's. It has always set in the garage. He said it was in excellent shape but had one dent in the roof.
    It took me over 2 hours to get to the guys house that had the car. He jumped into my truck and said " its about 45 minutes away at the farm. Head that way" and pointed out right of his driveway.
    I drove down through the country on a winding road thinking I don't know this guy and where the hell is he directing me to go. It was a gravel road that ran through some heavily wooded land, up and down hills and around corners and looked like the road had not been used for years.
    Finally he pointed off the road to the right and said to slow down there was a driveway to take on the right that was real hard to see which turned out to be two little skinny dirt paths from s pair of tires thru some high grass down into the woods.
    I made the turn and followed his directions only to be lead to a old abandon form house that looked like it had not been lived in for over 30 years. He said to pull around to the other side and when I did I saw a 1959 Chevy that had a giant tree laying on the top of about 6 feet in diameter. The garage was no longer there but the concrete pad the Chevy was parked on was.
    The tree had been cut off on either side and left on top of the roof probably because they could not remove it. The tree trunk still had shingles between it and the top of the Chevy along with some of the other wood from the roof. Apparently they had torn down the garage just after the tree fell and left the car there when they could not get the chunk of tree off of it.
    Apparently a big storm blew threw the area in the late 60's and the tree fell onto the garage and the 59 Chevy was in it trapped between the tree and the concrete floor.
    Just imagine the look on my face when I just drove over 3 hours only to pull up to see this. I could not believe the guy did not mention that this smashed Chevy had a tree trunk that was over 1000 lbs laying on top of it. The interior had rotted away over the years due to the exposure to the weather. The frame was smashed into the concrete garage floor in the middle while the tree trunk had crushed about 3/4 of the way down through the doors and the front of rear quarter panels below the side windows. It had twisted the frame so bad that we could not even get the hood opened to see into the engine compartment. Even all four of the tires were blown out from years of sitting smashed like this.
    I didn't say a word to the guy. Just walked around and looked at the car, then him and finally walked back to my truck and drove off. Last time I looked for one. I just gave up. Not meant to be.

16. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Just hauled that always wanted car home
    Now I need to find some 53-54 nose parts and a deck lid. I have all the mechanical parts except a drive shaft out of my retired race car. IMG_4208.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

1960 Plymouth Fury convertible. I actually put a deposit on one decades ago, with the intention of coming back a few weeks later with a trailer to haul it home. After stewing on it for awhile, I reached the conclusion that the car in question was beyond my skillset (at the time) to bring back. I let the owner keep the deposit for his trouble and let her go.

I have yet to find one in that elusive state: the intact, relatively solid resto candidate. It is a personal need for me to put some sweat and blood into them in order to make them mine (i've never bought a "finished car"), but the only true basket cases I have ever dragged home were for parts only. Every 60 Fury vert that ive come across was either "finished" or a basket case. 60 Fury Vert.jpg

chevy57dude likes this.
  18. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

‘32 ford any model,’40 Ford Cpe. ‘40/‘41 chevy cpe. ‘50 olds cpe. ‘50 ford and O/T Hemi Road Runner.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  19. My dream car is a 409 Impala.
    I had a 60 and a 65 back when. but never owned a 409. I have high respect for them.

waxhead likes this.
  20. I am generally happy with what I have, but in 1967 as a college junior I was lusting for the 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T hemi car. I was going to get one of those in 68 as soon as I graduated. But the R/T hemi was a one year car and by the end of 68, I received my Greetings from Uncle Sam and such dreams were forever lost.
    Of the cars I still would like to have, I guess I will never forget the perfect black 1934 full fendered five window coupe with white tuck and roll and a 283 owned by a local older kid from my town. It was a thing of beauty.

21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I really like the 1964 Malibu SS.

22. The "Lloyd Bakan" 32 coupe would be nice :cool:

23. RRanchero Rick

RRanchero Rick

24. j3harleys

j3harleys

I hate use these words on this site but if I ever hit the lotto there will be a BOSS 9 sitting in my garage.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A 50 Olds coupe with a 57 J-2 engine and a 4 speed would be nice

26. corplore

corplore
    from ashtabula

I have had some great cars, I guess my bucket list car would be a 1970 cuda, 340, with billboards in plum crazy.

65pacecar likes this.
  27. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

1964 Plymouth Sport Fury 426 Max Wedge 4 Speed. Red with Red interior.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have always wanted a Pontiac Safari, 1955, 56 or 57 year wouldn’t matter to me

29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I wonder if that car is still around?