Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford Roadster - Rear Gap Fill

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by AlsopAndSons, Oct 20, 2019.

1. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Hi all,

would love to see how people have filled this gap above the seat where the wood usually was.

I’m going with a Teas seat and Bop Top so would rather have the smoothed rear area.

also if anyone knows of a pre-formed panel you can buy that would be great too.

cheers
    Aaron

Attached Files:

2. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

I'll make you a deal, that way you don't have to modify that poor old body. I'll swap a brand new Brookville roadster body that doesn't have the wood channel, and in return, I'll take your body that has the provision for the original wood!

3. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Thanks for the offer, but I like the original steel. :)

4. ratrod0

ratrod0

Then dont fill it, use the wood

lurker mick and WiredSpider like this.

5. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

A big bump is not the look I’m going for, thanks.

6. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

I figured you wouldn’t take my offer, but I had to try. My suggestion would be to leave the sheet metal in stock configuration, and get the proper wood tack strip (3 pieces). Maybe you could sell the Tea’s Seat and use the funds for the wood tack strip, then build the proper seat for the car?
    Keep in mind that you can contour the wood to be lower profile if you don’t like the way it sticks up, as I’m sure plenty of Bop Top’s have been fit to original bodies with the wood tack strip in place.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

V8-m, lurker mick and AlsopAndSons like this.
  7. I thought I had replied to this thread, most use a wooden deck former/tack strip.. HRP

[​IMG]

AlsopAndSons likes this.
  8. Andy

Andy

I used the wood but cut it down to the contour of the top. I attached it with threaded inserts and put the bolts in from the bottom. This allowed me to make a nice rolled seat back top but also be able to take it off at will to change it. The wood is actually attached to the seat back so the whole seat back comes out as a unit

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    AlsopAndSons likes this.
  9. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Any idea of a place that remakes these? I’ve found 28-31 but not 32.

10. Did you try Brookville Roadster’s?

11. alchemy

alchemy

Filling those notches is like the hidden hinges of the 90's. Just one more way to smooth some of the "real" off the body and turn it into a plastic copy.

Brookville can't get those notches correct, and they are a sure way to spot a real 32 Ford body. Please leave them on.

Walle, teach'm, AlsopAndSons and 2 others like this.
  12. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

I’m considering it - trying to see if repop wood is available.

my old man may be able to copy these old ones, but they are rough...

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

For the right tack strip go to Brads Wood Shop 360-317-5723 He made the tack strip for my original roadster and after only a mild massage it fit perfectly. Only problem I had was with 2 of the holes not lining up but I think my body had been changed during its lifetime. I just finished the wood with some stain and marine varnish and it looks great. Some cover it with upholstery material also? Tea's seat in a traditional deuce roadster, Bah Humbug!

AlsopAndSons likes this.
  14. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Id call it mild custom and not full traditional.

15. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Hi and welcome to the Hamb..I see you have sixty some posts and joined about five months ago.I'm a little surprised that this thread is still on the site as in no way is a Tea's seat Hamb friendly.I for one in no way want to discourage someone from following in the way our cars are built and please understand what this site is about.If you ask a question or want a opinion it should be relevant to the parameters of the site.You sir have shown pictures of a car most of us could only hope to see much less own To smooth out the area behind the seat has been done in many different ways.That said once you do something to that body the originality of it is gone,not being a restorer and knowing this is a traditional hot rod site modifying is what this is all about BUT there comes a certain responsibility along with owning a car such as yours.Yes it's yours to do what you will to it and again I don't want to discourage you as we need new people to carry on when we are gone.Please know if you intend to have a traditional car certain modifications are not going to fit in and some of us look upon doing street rod smoothing and Tea's seats as non traditional modifications .Just my two cents and probably what it's worth but I cringe at another example of street rodding being disguised as traditional.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  16. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Thanks. If you’ve been keeping up, I’m now asking about people who make wood repops.

17. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

also regarding the seat, I’ve seen people go on about using Carvan seats as ok... so not seeing how I follow what seat I use makes a difference.

18. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

lol I’ve seen everything from original, to Caravan, to Glide seats used here. What difference does it make if I go with a Teas?

19. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Joel W and AlsopAndSons like this.
  20. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

I appreciate the traditionalist view point more, but I will put my own spin on it.

If I get pushed to a street rod forum, then I guess so be it. But, then I won’t get that traditionalist view.

If people follow me, I ask questions and have ideas - but I change my mind when I see something that fits better. I’m not stubborn. Examples include my firewall modification and this thread switching to leveraging the wood trim. I dig the wood look there when finished and shows it’s an original body. Thumbs up.

That said, no it will not be 100% text book traditional. Nor will it look like a plastic Boydster.

28 Ford PU likes this.
  21. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Brad got back to me and we’re working out a deal on a set. Thanks for the referral.

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

"... Please know if you intend to have a traditional car certain modifications are not going to fit in and some of us look upon doing street rod smoothing and Tea's seats as non traditional modifications I E rape.Just my two cents and probably what it's worth but I cringe at another example of street rodding being disguised as traditional."

I find your comparison of his original intention to rape a very offensive. Personal taste versus an attack on someone's body with emotional, psychological, as well as physical scaring is well beyond the decorum we on this board, I would hope, usually display.

AlsopAndSons likes this.
  23. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Don't fill the body hole. It is a distinguishing characteristic of a genie roadster. I passed up on a great roadster because that had been filled and it looked like a Brookville. It's the best way to ruin a original body. Mine has the wood tack strip and the bop top snaps to it, There is no bop top hoop around the back with a gap. I guess the bop top is a no no.

24. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Can you post pics of how you installed your bop top?

25. alchemy

alchemy

Any seat can be disguised/shaped to look more "old" by a good upholsterer. The top roll having the same arc as the body will make it look like it belongs there. Just sticking a seat with a level top in that spot will look like a mistake.

It might be as easy are reshaping the foam, or it might require building up framework to support the proper arc. They will need to see the seat in the space to modify it. Also make sure the tracks and any tilting mechanism doesn't stick out obtrusively either.

AlsopAndSons likes this.
  26. ratrod0

ratrod0

Here how it looks 20191104_105203.jpg 20191104_105219.jpg

V8-m likes this.