Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your car have an interesting story to tell?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Oct 21, 2019.

1. I really enjoy talking with folks about their cars and the stories behind them, many are so interesting I wish I had kept a record of them all. One of mine is about my '39 Chevy coupe, I saw it behind a guys house and stopped to see if he would sell it, I was driving a '57 Chevy 2dr post that day, after talking to the guy he said he wasn't interested in selling it but he had always wanted a '57, so we traded cars that day. A month or two later I was planning to turn the coupe into a Carson top style 40s taildragger, a young friend brought a new kid to the shop (he was about 19 named Joey) and my friend (Brad) said Joey loved old cars and wanted to be a bodyman , so I asked him if knew how to use a sawsall and cutting disc an he said yes so I handed him the tools and I said start cutting above the tape line, he looked at me funny and said "really ?" and I said you've got to start sometime, so he cut the roof off, and we've been friends every since. The car got sold due to the '07-'08 rescission, and i think we've found it and I'm going to try and get it back. Thats one of my stories and I'm sticking to it ! :D So let's hear some of yours. BigO 031.JPG 39chevyorigsmall.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Jet96, tb33anda3rd, verno30 and 16 others like this.
  2. One of my car's stories.... page 1.jpg page 2.jpg page 3.jpg

3. I've always been a GM guy ever since my first car, a '57 Chevy when I was in high school. I found the avatar '51 Ford at a swap meet, wrecked pretty bad on the right front and decided to buy it cheap, fix the wreck, sell it and make a quick buck...…..29 years ago.

4. I love it. :D

Stogy and dana barlow like this.

5. Stogy and 31Dodger like this.
  6. I've had a couple of cars that never stopped nagging and bitching at me. That count?

Stogy and BigO like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

My car just keeps asking me for more money, over and over. :eek:

jim snow, BigO, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

My '29 roadster had some interesting history. Bought from a farmer (yes, real barn find) in Kentucky in 1958 by a fellow who worked closely with Andy Granatelli during Andy's STP years.
    The farmer delivered it to him in a hay wagon. Amateur restoration got it on the road and a few years later a more professional restoration was done. I was able to speak to the owner and asked what kind of trips he had been on with it. He laughed......to the golf club clubhouse and back a few miles away. It was then sold to a friend of his who specialized in Porsche. Spoke with this owner also. Very little driving here either. It ended up being traded for an older Porsche hulk from Canada. Again very little driving as the Toronto area roads/traffic are not very Model A friendly. Well, finally in my hands, the wheels got turned a lot. First in stock form for two seasons then AV8'd and on the road every chance I got until just a few months ago when I let it go along with my 1919 Dort Hot Rod to Arizona to be enjoyed there.

Jet96, Stogy, BigO and 1 other person like this.
  9. 34Larry

34Larry

I'm pretty sure most guys here are tired of hearing the story of my 34, but since you asked Bigo ;do a google searchfor, Larry Moe's 1934 Ford coupe. When the page comes up, click on Jerry Bergs 1934 Ford- Kustomrama. Thats the story from the time this guy Jerry Berg had it built in the mid 50's Apologies to all who really don't want to hear or see this again.
    or you can just click on this link.......... https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Jerry_Berg's_1934_Ford

SuperFleye, Stogy, BigO and 1 other person like this.
  10. Yes it does, it really does...:D

Stogy likes this.
  11. A lot of mine have over the years, one night I threw all my coin change an a few $1 bills on the shop floor in front of one of my projects, the next day some friends showed up an we went to shop like usual, when they went in one guy ask why the change was in the floor and I told him " I threw money at it last night but it appears it didn't help" . ;):)

Barn Hunter, jim snow, raven and 3 others like this.
  12. Thats a great story. :)

Stogy likes this.
  13. Its a new story to me and I've been on here for years.

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

PlyConChurch.jpg Deja'Vu historySheet.jpg abetters2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Jet96, hfh, Moondog13 and 7 others like this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I call my '51 coupe the "Norwegian Ford". I have all the paperwork on the car (back to the original sales order written in pencil) and it goes this way. The car was ordered new by two farmer brothers from Hutchinson, MN named Hjalmar and Elmer Anderson. They bought the car from Nelson-Lageson Motors in Montevideo, MN. The salesman's name was Art Ostenson. The brothers used it as their "go to church" car, and when the last one died., they left it to their cleaning lady Mabel Christianson. Mabel couldn't drive a stick shift, so the car languished a few years when her nephew (the one name I don't know) got it. I bought the car from him, cleaned up a couple of things and put it back on the road in 1987. I still have it, although I'm only 1/2 Norweigian.

In the '90's, I decided to go vintage dirt track racing. One of the groups we raced with was headed up by a man named Lanny Ostenson, who was also from Montevideo. I asked him if he knew who Art Ostenson was, and he said, "Sure he was my grandfather." It's a small world.

16. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I bought my ‘29 from the original owner’s daughter. He used it daily in the thirties delivering auto parts in the LA area (she lived in Glendale when I brought it).
    The truck sat out the war while he was in an internment camp.
    When he came home it went back into service.
    The pink was dated 1945. It was last registered in 1953.
    She wouldn’t let me haul it away til after an hour of stories about the fun she and her brothers had riding with their dad.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jet96, Barn Hunter, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  17. I enjoy hearing story's about people and their cars but I'm glad the cars of my past can't talk, I would have been in be in some serious trouble. HRP

18. Now that's a cool story. :)

19. That's what im talking about...cool.

20. Hahaha!!!!:D

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

During my time here on the HAMB, I inherited a car ( in2012 )my Aunt bought new in 1964. My Aunt had 2 special cars and my Uncle, a bass boat. To allow my Aunt and Uncle to garage their daily drivers, They added a garage door to the end of the house. This allowed the three vehicles to be in the basement. To get the Caddy in first, they had to remove the backwall of their family room. From 1971 until 2012, the Caddy sat behind the couch in the downstairs family room. In this picture ( dated 1994 ), you can see the mark on the floor where the wall was...….
    [​IMG]

22. safetythird

safetythird

My dad, being the ever loving cheapskate that he was, bought this car (1961 Chrysler Newport) used in '65. It had a claimed original 300 miles on it.

He then drove it until about '85, when he lost his job. Not knowing he'd have another one the following week and figuring he didn't need two cars, he pulled the insurance and let it sit.

Sometime around '93 my mother got sick of seeing it in the driveway rotting away. What are you gonna do about the car? What are you gonna do about the car?

Finally, in a moment of weakness he said alright, I'll sell it.

This turned into "when you gonna sell it? When you gonna sell it?".

I was 13 at the time, and wanted it. He sold it to me for a dollar.

She didn't talk to him for over a month.

It needed the transmission rebuilt, the engine rebuilt, a new wiring harness, new fenders, new fuel system, all new brakes, and a new floor. Other than that, the car was in good shape.

And as for that dollar?

I never did pay him.

Jet96, hfh, dana barlow and 8 others like this.
  23. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

MY Mother The Car talks...

24. Cool story, thanks.

dana barlow, safetythird and Stogy like this.
  25. WOW what a good story, thanks.

dana barlow, Stogy and hrm2k like this.
  26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

My late dear friend Rich own and restored a 1960 Buick hard top for over 40 years. He was a hell raising rail road mechanic in Chicago. Everytime he was out with the Buick raising cane he would come home., put her in the garage , wipe her down and he swore the car would say "I won't tell a soul!" Good thing , if that old girl would have talked , Rich would have been a dead man! Not that his wife Sharon did not try to get her to talk. lol ;) Oh and my cars and bikes have always had a "puppy dog look" about them too! Larry

27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

0A6707F0-FCBA-40D5-A544-54B99275B124.jpeg Too many stories, I’ve been playing with this since 1959 (I was born in ‘55)

28. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

In the late 70's I was working for a family friend at his panel shop for free earning a paint job on my first licensed car, HR Holden. The brothers who ran a towing business out of the same building also had a Service Station on Wellington Street, Perth. When we came down to the big smoke from the farm shopping we parked there for free. I remember seeing an old different car outside that had been left there by the owner when he didn't pay for mechanical work. Having had a succession of old holdens on the farm it seemed exotic.
    Fast forward nearly 40 years and I found and bought my avatar. Bit of research into its history and I was gobsmacked when it turned out to be the same car.
    Who would have thought.........

Jet96, dana barlow, hrm2k and 2 others like this.
  29. HotRod33

HotRod33

20191021_214440.jpg .. my mom and Dad were married in 1950.... Mom's best friend lived on a farm... her parents had a 1933 ford pickup that was their farm truck....Dad always told them when they were done with it he wanted the old truck... in 1952 they gave dad the title for Christmas... The old truck didn't run anymore. . He went and drug it home and put it in the one car garage on the house.. He started working on it and over a period of a few years he chopped it 4 inches and channeled it 5 inches..... Dad started a business in 1963 and the truck was put on the back burner... l was born in 1955 and some of my earliest memories were playing ln the 33 pickup out in the garage. .. time marches on and in 2001 dad pushed the old truck outside and tore down the old garage and had a new one built... The old truck sat out back and in 2003 I went over and said if your not going to build the 33 I will.... He said take it home... I built a new 32 chassis... and I unchanneled it so I could fit in it....lol... I got the truck on the road in 2008... I went and picked Dad up on his 81st birthday ... it was the first time he had ever rode in the truck and he had it for over 50 years... He had a big grin on his face and said this isn't quite how I had it planned but it's pretty cool.... Dad past away shortly after that ... I have had the 33 down to the farm where it came from... The family still owns the farm and remember the truck.... I have pictures of it parked in the original barn where it was parked when it was new.... I have all the original paperwork .... it spent the entire time within 15 miles of where it was bought new.... The 33 is getting ready to go to a new home.... my son has a birthday in November ... he will be 36 and I will be passing the truck on to him ... it will be moving to his garage .... which is Dads old house.... I've got other hotrod but I will miss owning it .... i know where it will be and can still drive it.... I'm passing the torch just like dad did with me....

Saxman, Jet96, '40 Coupe Fan and 14 others like this.
  30. I like that story a lot, thanks. BigO

dana barlow and hrm2k like this.