Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you ever did any part of a build in your house

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Before I was married, the bathroom shower in my apartment made an excellent spray booth, complete with an exhaust fan.
    Just sayin' ;):D

2. I worked on a sportster in the kitchen of a house trailer once......

Not mine, honest

Rusty Heaps and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Built a BSA chopper in the basement. Started it, gas had run out of the carbs, flames shooting out exhaust set the whole works on fire. I pushed the bike away and decided that the flames would go out on the cement floor. Hadn't counted on the oil all over the floor. Went upstairs and the whole house was covered in black smoke. Now to set the scenario, it's the dead of winter, 15 below zero, 9:00 at nite and the wife is due home a little after midnite from her shift at the hospital. I throw open all the windows, grab all the fans I can find and blow the smoke out . Then I come up with a bright idea. I grab some pine scented carpet stuff and sprinkle and vacuum the whole house. Close the windows, crank the thermostat, and get the house back to human conditions. Settle down in front of the TV feeling pretty proud of myself. A little after midnite the wife walks thru the door, sniffs the air and asks "Who the hell burned a pine tree in here?"

4. Me and a buddy did something similar involving burnouts in the basement garage.

5. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Back in 1979, built a complete ‘69 427 400hp tri power BBC motor in empty dining room off of kitchen. Rolled engine stand/motor thru kitchen into living room across hardwood floors and out front door onto Chevy pickup bed.

6. I'm starting to see a pattern here, several motorcycles have been built in the house, the kitchen table has seen a bunch of carburetor rebuilds, engines have been built and a couple of numbskulls have used the oven for curing paint.

I appears that a lack of a garage doesn't stop a determined builder. HRP

7. In the late 60s, guys around my area were putting high handlebars on their motorcycles.
    I soldered up many clutch and throttle cables on my mother's gas range.
    Yes the flame was hot enough and she was ok with it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I could get away with a lot with my wife when it came to car related projects in the home but your mom must have been a Saint, my mom would have had a fit. HRP

wicarnut likes this.
  9. Luckily I have a really cool wife, so rebuilding carbs in the living room is A-OK as long as I clean up my mess

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. I've used the kitchen counter to keep parts out of the way of harm.
    MUNCIE.jpg

11. I can honestly say I haven't tried the transmission on the kitchen countertop. HRP

Just Gary, bobss396 and Boden like this.
  12. Packrat

Packrat

In 1986 I rebuilt our Shovelhead in the back bedroom. I didn't have a garage yet, it was warm in there and the stereo and fridge were both close!

nunattax and 32Dan like this.
  13. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

My friends and I built one of my Vespas in an upstairs apartment about 25 years ago. It was quite fun carrying down the stairs!

osage orange likes this.
  14. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Rebuilt carbs, speedometer, and many other things including scrubbing an iron head sportster engine cases in the bath tub, and doing most of that work in the living room floor.Luckily the dog doesn't mind!:eek:

osage orange and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I build a 40 I store the freshly painted hood and fenders in the living room. Also always assemble the grills complete on the family room floor on a moving blanket. Wife has no issue with any of this. When we did the 62 Vette there were doors, decklid hood etc stored around the house as well-no issues and on white carpet!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A clean Muncie is a thing of beauty!
    I'm not sure I could get away with that though.

bobss396 likes this.
  17. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I built several Harley’s in the house back in the 60s and 70s but no cars. Never heard a complaint from the wife, but I always kept it clean. I did the dirty work and painting outside. Seems like we always had a spare room.

18. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Port-A-Walls are under the bed right now.....
    Phil

19. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Some years ago I had a girlfriend that called my apartment my live in garage..... Rebuilt the transmission for my 53 Merc in the barracks when I was in the service.....

LynnW

20. wildwest

wildwest

When I was 15 I built a 3'x4' Bicycle trailer in my Bedroom, 16-17 I rebuilt a 1948 Teardrop trailer in my parents Basement ! I bought a house at 20 with a two car garage, but it was cold & full ! After my live-in girlfriend moved out at 22, I soon had a rolling tool chest in the dining room, a shovelhead project in the living room, and most of a 1931 Model A roadster body in an upstairs bedroom! I still remember the look on a friends wives face when they came over for dinner and there was a carburetor on the counter.... hey everything in the house was clean ! Now my car stuff lives in the shop, besides a few emblems and die-casts, and some art work. If I find the right gas pump, it's going in the kitchen. A guy I know near here has a real 289 Cobra in his living room, and a 58 Corvette used to be next to it.

Ron Funkhouser and Packrat like this.
  21. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

rebuilt carb on the kitchen table, and rebuilt a power break unit ..
    wife wasn't home ;)
    20190421_113459.jpg
    20190427_165830.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and Boden like this.
  22. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

As far as curing paint, I acquired an old gas bbq several years ago, man my wife is waaaay happier. But the dishwasher has seen many sets of full wheel covers, as well as carbs, instrument clusters without gauges etc. Speedos and wheel covers have been rebuilt and polished on a moving blanket on the kitchen table.

23. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

When I was building my truck I stored anything finished chromed or painted like fenders, doors, grille shell etc. in my parents living room and kitchen while they were in Florida for the winter.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    When my brother and I were getting our final 292 SBC built, we had some heads ground and polished. They looked just fabulous. But it was my turn to clean and prep the heads and valve covers for final assembly. Despite the small heater in the backyard 2nd garage, it was too cold. So, I moved the whole table and stuff inside of our house.

The table and materials were set up in the den that we had added to our teeny house. That den was the place for just the two boys, with access to the bedroom and kitchen. There were two paneled French Doors leading into the main living room, for parental access. Our AM/FM, reel to reel tape player/stereo provided music, the food and drinks were just a step away...What more could a hard working teen ask for in a working environment? (Did I say WARM, too?)

When all of the doors were closed, it was quiet enough for studying and doing teenage stuff. My mom and dad were watching TV in the other room. So, I set up a table and tarp on the floor. I got all ready to start using steel wool on the painted surfaces and polishing compound for the aluminum finned valve covers.

Half way into the almost noise-less work, my mom came into the room and almost fainted. She wanted to know what I was doing. It did not look like normal reading, drawing or even doing homework. She did not want any grease or paint to get on any furniture or the wooden plank floor.

Jnaki
    upload_2019-10-21_3-47-24.png B. Balogh motor 1960
    A similar 292 SBC 671 motor set up for our final build

My brother just came home and told my mom that we would be finished soon. He also told her that she would not be able to find dirt anywhere after we cleaned up. He looked at me as if I were some kind of nut. Working on a set of SBC heads and valve covers inside of the house?…What was I thinking? Well, it was better than freezing out in the uninsulated backyard garage…while getting the next step finished and off our check list of the 1940 Willys Coupe for C/Gas.

At least I did not rebuild the 4:11 geared Positraction, third member on that same table !!!
    upload_2019-10-21_3-48-56.png

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    wicarnut and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. chopped

chopped

Sprayed some parts in the kitchen once, never again. Put a tarp down around the island, had to call the wife at work and beg for help.

Boden and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. { CHOPPED } A bad idea, paint dust travels a long way! Ask me how I know?lol {JNAKI } cool story. I did the same thing as a teenager when still living at home. My Mom didn't seem to care as long as I kept my parts, and mess in my bedroom. But I did get in trouble when I painted stuff, because the fumes went all through the house. It was a different story after I got married. My wife won't even let me in the house if I'm dirty! lol Sometimes I have to take my clothes off in the garage, before I can come in. If I wasn't married. I would love to have a big garage house combo, that you could just drive right into your living room. There used to be an old detective show on TV like that. I think he drove a T Bird, and he parked it in his apartment. I thought it was really COOL! Ron.......

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    olscrounger, Just Gary and jnaki like this.
  27. Boden

Boden

I keep most of my smaller parts that have been cleaned and painted on my dresser. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

"Dan Tanna." I thought that apartment was cool too. My wife said if I found a garage with apartment in it she won't mind living in it. I've been looking ever since. I might have to build one.

29. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Assembled my rebuilt 350 on third floor balcony, funny to see people’s expressions seeing an engine on a stand on a balcony. Bolted it to a pallet and with the help of three friends took it down in the elevator, stops on first and the lady waiting just stares, said sorry no room and we’re already over the weight limit

30. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

My wife has empathy for the old car sickness ( her dad suffered from the condition). But she would snap my neck like a twig if I brought any car work in the house!

You guys have some pretty understanding wives!