Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Your 364 nailhead experience

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

What has your experience been with this engine and the dynaflow attached to it. What are any hidden secrets about this engine and how do you wake them up, even tho they are quite the powerful engine from the factory.

2. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Screenshot_20191015-154806_Chrome.jpg

I thought this was cool when I was researching last week. Has anyone tried doing this.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day as teenagers we swapped out a 264 engine out of 55 Buick Special with a 364 out of a 58 Roadmaster. Utilized a 37 big Buick floor shift transmission. Lots of fun was had with that old Buick.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  4. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks for your post, sounds like fun.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Can't help other than telling you that I've seen 2 322 - 364 Buick bottom ends seize because the oil pump pickup fell off into the pan. They're bolted on with a couple 1/4'' bolts with no safety wire or tangs to bend. If your engine is out of the car, pull the pan & add some insurance.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Donuts, Then what happened ???

Jet96 likes this.
  7. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Wow, thanks. What would you add. Tang?

8. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I don't get the question bud?

9. Budget36

Budget36

The rest of the partial story you posted above;)

10. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Hahaha, ok I'll try to find it guys.

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Drill the bolt heads for stainless wire.

12. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

13. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Smart move, I added the whole story above

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

That was a good story.

15. I had a 322 in a 47 Chev. With the Dynaslow, it was a POS off the line, but I installed a 3 speed manual, which brought it to life. I ran that engine hard, and even when I broke stuff, including a piston, the engine took it all.
    Lots of torque,
    I love Buick nailheads, and always wanted a 401.
    Bob

16. Do yourself a favor— don’t add any Tang. It’ll just make the oil taste funny, like astronaut pee

17. My 55 had the 364 with a 4 barrel and the Dyna flow
    Other then the tranny leaking from both ends it was a great car to drive with tons of power once you got going.

not a cheap engine or trans but definitely a fun one

18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

@VANDENPLAS I've always swayed away from the nailhead because they are so expensive rebuild and not everyone can balance them correctly.

19. jimmy959

jimmy959

Back about 15 years ago I had a 364 with a 2-barrel in my '61 LeSabre. The DynaFlow acted like a huge sieve, I'd pour in a quart of tranny fluid and a couple days later quart would run out onto the ground - until I had it resealed. Lots of torque, but not particularly fast. Great to cruise around in.
    61 buick.jpg

20. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks Jimmy. One time I heard if your dynaflow ain't leaking it ain't working.

belair and jimmy959 like this.
  21. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

What are the transmission adapter choices?

22. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

And what are the manual transmissions that will bolt up?

23. I haven't played with Buick engines for a long time, but I used a 3 speed out of a 53 Buick. An Olds or Pontiac transmission from the same period will bolt up, but you would still need the pieces from a closed drivshaft manual transmission.
    The easiest way to convert, would be to watch epay for a Buick 3 spd. Converting to an open driveshaft is a big, expensive, job.
    Bendtsen’s Speed does offer a kit to adapt the Nailhead to the 700-R4, but this requires the conversion to an open driveshaft.
    Bob

Donuts & Peelouts and belair like this.
  24. belair

belair

Manual trannys are tough for Buick fans. There are the 5 and the 6 bolt units. The 5 bolts go all the way back to at least 1937. They are sufficient for a straight 8, but even a 264 can break them if you try hard enough. The 6 bolts came behind the 322 and I guess 364 and maybe even the 401, and are much stronger. All the hardware is difficult to find, and the trannys shifting mechanism is not at all like the chevys and fords we are used to, so a floor shifter is a mess, as is trying to find a RARE aftermarket shifter or making your own. It's a shame that by 57 and on, sticks were so rare in Buicks, because they are so dadgum cool. The torque tubes just add another layer of difficulty when you try to upgrade the trans, so most of us are left with two choices-leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is, or do a TON of work to go with a stick or a modern auto. The only remotely simple solution is to use a switch/pitch th400 from the 60s, and I dont know how far back they will fit on nailheads. Or find a GS Rivi that had a 4 speed - good luck with THAT.

j-jock and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  25. Gman0046

Gman0046

A 37 big Buick 3 speed floor shift transmission will bolt up to a 364. Biggest problem you will have is finding one. The buick stick shift bell housing, flywheel and cclutch fork will be almost impossible to find.

26. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Its hard being a Buick man, thanks everyone for all the advice. I appreciate everyone's time. I'm asking all this because I might be adding a 61 4 door lesabre to the pack.

27. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

i have a 364 going in my 30 tudor. I am running a wide ratio Muncie behind it with adapter and flywheel from Bendtsen's speed gems. 10.jpeg

28. I ran the original 364 cammed up a bit in my '58 Roadmaster. Loved that car, it was never ever going to win a drag race but it would motate.

the engine ended up in a '34 Coupe after the old Buick went to the grave yard, it became adapted to a '39 transmission.