Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stainless louvered marine bilge vents on a hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radarsonwheels, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Can't go wrong with traditional louvers punched in the hood.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I honestly like those funky vents. Your truck is an odd ball why not use some odd vents.

radarsonwheels likes this.
  3. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Yep I’m an oddball too but I don’t wanna be the guy who glued ten thousand barbie doll heads to my front wheel drive buick century wagon if you get my meaning?

Taste is very subjective and without ugly we couldn’t have beautiful. I think I have good taste but I am a little adventurous. Gotta have fun right?

Ultimately I like the stock hood best but I had to have a stroked big block with headers so the firewall had to get relieved 10” or so and right on down the line with modifications. It will never be stock again but I recently had the body of a brake pressure switch fail (leak). Not good to lose brakes on a 500hp truck.

It could have been a junk part (screwed into npt hole in aftermarket proportioning valve block with integral splitter for front brake lines) and maybe I should have put the prop valve on the frame rail instead of right under the master cyl on the firewall but it got me thinking. I only have 500 miles on this build and I don’t want everything plastic and rubber under the hood to cook and die an early death. She ran 195° stuck in traffic on hot summer days, more like high 180°s cruising so I’m slightly marginal but ok there. I like to run my hotrods 10° cooler but the cooling system is fine. Heat soak is a bitch though- my crappy paintjob is blistering and if you open her up after a good warmup the folding hinge props are too hot to hold for long.

I did order a set of marine stainless vents tonight. When they come in I will post some mockup pics or report on their high quality or cheesy shoddyness or see what happens.

Bearcat_V8 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. upspirate

upspirate

I like the idea of venting out the fenderwells someone had

5. KenC

KenC

2nd this. If your goal is function, not looks, you can probably exhaust more air from the fenderwells than the hood. Some cars had louvers in the wells from factory. Since these are hidden, they don't have to be as pretty. Three careful cuts and a little bend should do it. It can also help to provide air flow from the front that bypasses the radiator, like the fresh air intakes in a lot of 50s heater systems.

But, after typing that, I don't recall what your inner fenders looked like after the frame swap. Yeah, I followed on P15-D24.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

For some reason, Corvette summer keeps popping up in my head when I see these.

7. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Ssssshh! Don’t tell on me! The hood stays closed on the hamb! I have ifs, electric fan, all kinds of non trad crap in there I’m not here to talk about! In my mind it’s much classier and handmade than a regular chassis swap but all mopar and based on post 61 stuff for sure. Enough about that

But what I don’t have is a whole lot of inner fenders under there. The driver’s side has more than the passenger side but just enough to mount the ignition box and keep my wiring harness from getting mud & rocks thrown at it.

I also deleted the angled toe board on the driver’s side in favor of more downward brake pedal travel and room for my size 14s, which doesn’t help with airflow.

Since I don’t overheat on the move or stuck in traffic I think I’m good when the fans are on but heatsoak is a bitch. That tiny bubble shaped engine bay is stuffed full and gets hotter than an easy bake oven. I wouldn’t mind 10° drop in general but I for sure want to let some heat out the top.

I believe the reports that hood side vents will dump extra summer heat into my open windows (no AC) and the hood center is out because of my fresh air cowl scoop.

Which leaves a triangle of flat-ish hood on either side to play with and not coincidentally it’s where the paint is blistering on the driver’s side hood so definitely a good place to put the chimneys for this igloo.

Like I said I ordered the boat vents- should be in my grubby mitts by next week.

So the two pics are the p51- what I hope it could look like and overdone boy racer wet dream musclecar hell- what I’m afraid it would look like.

And not to be a broken record but I am fully planning on a trip to the punch shop to do 6 rows of curved 3” louvers unless I fall in love with these vents.

Attached Files:

8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I used these stainless steel louvers in an Off Topic Scout II (beater car), used stainless steel pop rivets.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As nice as those would look on my Bayliner, NO for putting them on your hood. As others said that kind of nonsense is a real deal killer when you go to sell a rig. Real and correct old school louvers not only work but won't cause potential buyers to walk a way and the ones who don't like them see resale or trade value in them.
    The top cowl vent if you have one won't help cool the inside of the cab anymore though as the heat from the louvers roll right back into the cab.

10. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

H7949.JPG what about these vents on this old chevy?

Elcohaulic, Hdonlybob and Hnstray like this.
  11. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Very plain but not bad! Thank you for posting that cool big truck pic.

I find myself here in the curious position of persistently asking you all, largely the ‘keep it traditional’ crowd, to help me off the comfortable and stylish well beaten path and into sticky uncharted non traditional territory.

It’s like asking a bbq chef what kind of applesauce would go best on a nice steak! Yeah it might taste ok but please just salt, pepper, and maybe a little A1 or melted cheese if you wanna get fancy.

I don’t plan to sell the truck and really most average people don’t even know what it is (nice chevy!) but seeing how I’ve taken pains to butcher it in the most tasteful manner possible so far I am taking the overwhelming response here as a vote from a more educated public on the negative effect on resale.

Which is to say- everybody knows black harleys are the easiest to sell. This wouldn’t stop me from painting one red or blue if that’s what I wanted but I’d be a fool to expect a quick sale with a rainbow wizard airbrushed on it. You butcher it = you own it.

Thanks for the replies all and please sleep soundly knowing my truck will get the bitchin punched louvers it deserves.

Hnstray and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  12. About 38 years ago, I built a v8 Vega in high school. It had a similar issue like you do, stuffed engine compartment and would run cool (enough) running down the road. But get stuck in traffic, or what we liked to do cruising Fri and Sat nights, and the car would heat up. I never did fix the problem, but with the reverse opening hood on the Vega, I could pop the hood and then hold it open a few inches which would help tremendously until I either parked or was able to get back up to speed. So I understand your problem, and I do think some venting in the hood will help. The question is how to best do this and not look like a JC Whitney catalog poster boy. I'm in the louver camp as my previous reply, but thought I would add the comment about the extra venting should help address the underhood heat issues.

13. upspirate

upspirate

Since you ordered the vents, set them on the hood and see if YOU like them. If you install, save the cut out sheet metal and either re-install at resell, or provide to new buyer. They might look kinda OK if blended/faired into the hood and painted the same as the hood color

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

More of a traditional louver for me... **clic pic** MR 800 for sale 010.JPG MR 800 for sale 011.JPG

15. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Those look just right on the flat hoodsides!

I’m thinking more of the dome topped style to compliment the curvy hood top (?) Usually you see them on earlier stuff I think

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

17. who did the tile?

18. For what its worth I used pieces cut from the rear engine access door from blue bird school bus the louvres were punched in nice even rows also have seen some that were in home furnace doors as well lots of ideas on the cheap.

Hdonlybob likes this.
  19. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Haha yer late to the party but thanks for chiming in- I did ask in my original post.

I got one marine vent in the mail yesterday. It’s decent looking but doesn’t quite look right mocked up.

I also got a couple cans of freezing cold spray to help remove the dynamat. Im hoping to get the hood prepped and dropped off at the louver puncher next week

kidcampbell71 and upspirate like this.
  20. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I've used those for different jobs and they usually are very well made..

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Mine came a few days ago..
    I am liking them, and they are now sitting on my hood waiting for me to decide placement, as well as whether to use two or three..
    I also have another nice hood lined for for cheap if I do not like the results...
    They look a lot better than shown in this picture...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

kmn5 and radarsonwheels like this.
  22. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I put a pair of these on an off topic IH Scout II. Use stainless steel pop rivets to avoid the eventual rust streaks.

Hdonlybob likes this.
  23. upspirate

upspirate

They would be great for vents in a belly pan

'51 Norm likes this.
  24. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Cool!

Please show us what you end up doing with them!

Hdonlybob likes this.
  25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Will Do..
    Here is a picture I took a bit ago when out in the shop doing something else..Hopefully will cut them in tomorrow...
    What you think..
    Two or Three ???

Attached Files:

26. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

The third in the center is so close to the windscreen so the windscreen affects airflow. Partly there will be a higher pressure zone there (due to air ramming into the window and slowing down), and possibly turbulence and unpredictable flow directions, making the effectiveness of an outlet there unpredictable - for all we know, a hole there may push air in, not suck it out as louvres should.
    The two forward ones is more likely to be in a lower pressure zone, and with some luck with air flowing straight back over them. Probably more functional. And looks better.

kmn5 likes this.
  27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Use 2, I think they look pretty good.