Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ID on roadster or this style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koz, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Koz

Koz

I don't know where this pic came from but I love this little roadster. Anybody have an idea of whose car it was, (is), and any other pics? Neatest thing I've seen all year! Any pics of similar cars? I don't even know what to search for. I remember seein some old Popular Mechanics articles on stuff like this. Most likely late '40's early '50's. 72286510_10156674462047776_5099023699667845120_o.jpg

catdad49, Oldioron, hfh and 1 other person like this.
  2. @timwhit knows a little about those. Had a similar hulk with cut downs, that he did a bang up job on. His thread is on his profile. Pretty sweet little car.

timwhit and Koz like this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That one was assembled to look like Edsel's 2nd or 3rd "factory hot rod''.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Thought those were a European style?

porknbeaner likes this.

5. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Whoever built it colored outside the lines. Very nice!!

Oldioron and Koz like this.
  6. Koz

Koz

The cutdowns definitely have a bit of Jaguar and MG to them, (along with a load of other Euro makes). My understanding is GI's brought the influence back during the occupations right after the war.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right side of the Mississippi....is my guess

8. catdad49

catdad49

Koz, your avatar bears a resemblance! This one could be recreated fairly easily using some cast off parts, maybe a HAMB project car!?

9. Koz

Koz

I already have the entire drivetrain, fresh ('48) 59ab with a load of vintage speed parts, fresh '39 box and a sweet '48 rear with '40 axles and narrowed bells to retain the spring hangers. Also I've located a cowl that is being shipped in, and have a lead on the hood and a rough but usable frame, (through HAMB want ads and the Ford Barn). I've contacted PennDot to see what I will need to do about the cutdowns for Pa. inspection.

I'll fab the rest of the body as the panels for this will be easy to roll and hammer out. Unless I can get some pics showing something neater, I was thinking I would bob the rear frame rails to the crossmember and just run a '34 Dodge style tank on the back. I would also need one of my aluminum lift off roofs with a taupe Stayfast covering. Needs to be Mandarin Maroon ('40 Ford) with a black chassis and maroon interior. When I get the car mocked up the rear will tell me what to do with it. Some '37 taillights and I have some mint '35 pickup headlights and vintage stalks that will do nicely. In short, I have about 90% of the car lined up.

I kept the smoked white '48 Deluxe wheel that I was going to use on my T along with the newly chromed shift stick that I was going to use on my last car. I just sold my T to a good client so I have a chance here to build something a little different.

Time for a HAMB build as I haven't been posting any builds here lately.

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Jet96, HunterYJ, lurker mick and 3 others like this.
  11. In the '50s that style was popular and was supposed to mimic the euro sports cars.

Someone mentioned Edsel Fords factory hot rods, which also makes sense, I read somewhere that he was enamored European styling.

Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EdselFordspeedsterNo3_03_2500-700x358.jpg

This ran a 35 Grill and was mildly customized after Leaving Edsel's Hands...I think...an influence...perhaps...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-16#post-11388234

Credit to Photographer, Owner

catdad49 likes this.
  13. Koz: Here are a couple of pictures of the cabrio I salvaged. I repaired the doors, stretched the doors "10 The body had been shortened "14. Also, google Jenson Ford and read their story. Very interresting!! Last pic is a Jenson Ford 020.JPG 484.JPG 485.JPG jenson ford.jpg