Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Gary Howard Celebration Of Life

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Gary Howard Celebration Of Life

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. What would i give to be there. a wonderful idea. have fun, folks.

Stogy, loudbang and eddie1 like this.
  3. Gary was a great guy! So happy I got to know him over the last few years. Rest in peace my friend.

4. sololobo

sololobo

If there was ever an event I wished to attend, this would be it. Gary Howard grew up in Iowa just close to the Nebraska border. I was lucky enough to chat with him at a couple of LSRU events, what a nice dude. Jimmy and guests will be some awesome music played in a historic dance hall, perfect. Tear it up folks, that Mercury is off the hook, what a sweet ride.

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.

5. Thanks @Ryan !

It's gonna be a great time honoring our friend and custom car hero Gary Howard. This whole event is a fundraiser to benefit Gary's family in this time of need. Money raised through the raffle, auction, donations and all other sales will go directly to them.

Even if you are out of town and can't make the event - you can still help support by buying a raffle ticket for the 1941 Mercury sedan that El Jefe has generously donated to the cause. This great looking and driving car could be all yours! $100 for a raffle ticket (limited to 200 tickets!) we are limiting entries so you have you have a 1 in 200 chance (or better) of winning this cream puff!

We will randomly select an entry at the show for a chance at winning this great car. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE PRESENT TO WIN! If you purchase a raffle ticket and live out of town, we will put up to $1,000 maximum towards delivery of the car to you. (within the contiguous U.S.)

You can buy a raffle ticket and get more info at garyhowardcustoms.com/celebrate - and there is also a link there to give any amount you wish - it all helps.

Dig this awesome 41 Merc sedan and imagine how cool you'd look driving it home!

6. Our pal @BLAKE shots some great photos of the Merc so you can see what a great looking car this is.

Again - just $100 for a raffle ticket gets you a great shot at making this car yours - and more importantly helps out Gary's family through this Memorial Fund

Buy tickets here - or donate anything you wish at garyhowardcustoms.com/celebrate

Its a really nice 1941 Mercury 4 door sedan with fantastic patina and very little rust. Body and floors are amazing for an unrestored 80 year old car. Super solid and a great runner. This car was in line for Gary Howard to do a full custom treatment on but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Features of this car include:
    • Strong running flathead with 3 speed transmission
    • Alt gen charging system with new crab style distributor
    • New carburetor
    • New tires - Firestone wide whitewalls
    • Lowered suspension
    • Original interior
    • New wiring harness
    • Patina galore
    • Appleton spotlights
    • Fender skirts and other custom touches
    • Clear Texas title
    _DSC2930-Edit-X4.jpg _DSC2932-Edit-X4.jpg
    _DSC2938-X4.jpg
    _DSC2981-X4.jpg

7. Man, Gary was definitely one of the good guys. I met him one year during the LSRU Friday garage crawl when he opened up his shop to host a bunch of us hoodlums. He seemed about as humble as a guy can get and was very welcoming to a goofball like myself even. When I told him my name, he assumed that maybe I was the Hot Rod editor with the same name... Anyway, he couldn't have been any more accommodating to a bunch of folks wandering around his place that day. Sure wish I could make the event and may just see if I can.

loudbang likes this.
  8. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Ryan thank you so much for supporting this. I know how special Gary was to you and it really makes me feel great that so many loved Gary as a person and also as one of the most talented customizers and painters ever. In addition to the raffle for the 41 Merc, there will be some incredible items up for auction on Nov 10th at the celebration including a Fender Strat guitar from Jimmie Vaughan, a complete A/C system of your choice from Jack Chisenhall at Vintage Air, an original Garage neon from Todd Sanders at Roadhouse Relics and original art from Norwell, Coop, McPhail, Von Franco and more, some vintage keepsakes from Gary's personal tool collection and a bunch of great homemade cakes and pies!! Hope to see all of you out there. Gary's wife JoAnn is so excited to get to see everyone and hear all those great Gary stories. Its gonna be a special day.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  9. Sounds like it is going to be a great time and an amazing opportunity for a number of folks and huge positive for the Howard family during this time.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Those of you coming from Austin and parts east, do yourself a big favor and get off Highway 290. Drop down on 281 to Blanco and take Farm Road 1623 the rest of the way west to Albert. It's my all-time favorite road in the Hill Country and will put you in a great mood for the festivities. I never had the pleasure of meeting Gary but I may go just because of the drive........ and a chance to win the Mercury . :cool:

HunterYJ and loudbang like this.
  11. Hmmm, I wouldn't normally be able to attend something like this, but on Nov. 10th we'll be heading back to FTW from New Braunfels. Might like to get in on that raffle too.

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Don't forget Nov 10th is also the MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY. Maybe you could get an Honor guard.

milwscruffy and Chucky like this.
  13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ryan for starting the thread. I only got the chance to talk to Gary a couple of times a year. He was such a great guy, always seem to have time to visit with me......After Pistons n Paint I will be heading south to Hye, Texas. It would be a kool honor if we had a lot of kustoms attend the celebration. See ya there..

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I was lucky enough to know him before he became famous. Fun to stop by the shop and see what he was working on.Last time I talked to him was after a Round up weekend. He will always be known as Curly to the guys from Iowa.

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Yip, didn`t know his name was Gary until I read it in a magazine. Did anybody call him Curly in Texas.

straykatkustoms and OG lil E like this.
  16. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Had breakfast with him & his wife at the LA Roadster Show a few years ago. A super nice couple.

OG lil E and straykatkustoms like this.
  17. I was driving on the interstate, coming into Ogden, Utah when I passed this Spanish style house out in the country when what I thought was Gary's white 54 ford vicky parked in the drive. That's as close as I ever got to meeting him. The car was so clean! Loved it.
    It may not have even been his car, I dunno.

18. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Yeah ,he told me once that he always knew when someone from Iowa was calling him ,they called him Curly.

19. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Loosing a lot of icons lately. Sounds like a fitting shindig to honor him. Got my name in the pot for the Merc, hell I've spent a C note on dumber stuff and it's a good cause. Ya'll have fun.

20. So I managed to talk two of my buddies to make the trek with me from Milwaukee to go to this, driving, ( 1260 miles ) how be it, in a late model vehicle. So you'll have to deal with three, old fart, yo-yo's from the mid west next weekend. Managed to get a hotel 6 miles away for ease of navigating. We are all big fans of Jimmie's and I bought one raffle ticket a piece for each of us for the 41 Merc. Hope to be able to finally put a face to some names. See you there.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    stanlow69, OG lil E, El Jefe and 2 others like this.
  21. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

This is so great that you and your buddies are coming to Texas for this. It's going to be a pretty amazing show with a collection of Gary Howard builds that ste rarely seen all togerher among other great hotrods and customs. Jimmie is also scheduled to play the night before on Saturday Nov 9th at C-Boy's Heart n Soul in Austin. Safe travels

22. Thanks, leaving on the 6th, will probably be in the vicinity on the 7th but rooms at Stonewall Motor Lodge don't start until the 8th, so we may do Austin on Thursday night, the 7th, depending on when we get there. The Continental Club would be great if we get there early enough. Can't wait to see Gary's collection of builds on Sunday. EDIT: Presently in Stonewall for the weekend as of 11-8, see you Sunday.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  23. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

I may not have read things carefully enough, but WHAT TIME do the festivities start?

Thanks,
    Joe

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Noon on Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Daddiojoe likes this.
  25. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have met Gary but a few times and all I can say is around great guy. As we are from down under I have deputised my good buddy in Buda TX who will be at Gary’s memorial to say farewell from the Kiwis.
    Would love to hear Jimmy Vaughan play his tribute to such an awesome man .
    Now buy a raffle ticket.
    Or outbid Moriarty on a paint gun.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    milwscruffy likes this.
  26. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

I was waiting for the call last night, but never received it :(. Did a HAMBer win the car?

27. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

Thanks to to all the event coordinators and Gary’s family for an EPIC show. A collection of amazing cars in one of my favorite places to hang out in Texas on my birthday. A few bad (poorly taken) pictures to share...

IMG_8826.JPG
    IMG_8832.JPG
    IMG_8836.JPG
    IMG_8837.JPG
    IMG_8839.JPG
    IMG_8842.JPG
    IMG_8849.JPG

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Tim, HunterYJ, Hollywood-East and 4 others like this.
  28. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

IMG_8851.JPG
    IMG_8867.JPG
    IMG_8869.JPG
    IMG_8870.JPG
    IMG_8872.JPG
    [​IMG]
    IMG_8876.JPG
    IMG_8880.JPG
    IMG_8886.JPG
    IMG_8894.JPG

Tim, HunterYJ, 40two and 4 others like this.
  29. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

IMG_8981.JPG
    IMG_8900.JPG
    IMG_8910.JPG
    IMG_8947.JPG
    IMG_8934.JPG
    IMG_8940.JPG
    IMG_8992.JPG
    IMG_8943.JPG
    IMG_8953.JPG
    IMG_8961.JPG
    IMG_8968.JPG
    IMG_8975.JPG
    IMG_8985.JPG
    IMG_9009.JPG
    IMG_9011.JPG

Copper Top, UNSHINED 2, Tim and 9 others like this.
  30. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

IMG_8962.JPG
    IMG_9002.JPG
    IMG_9006.JPG
    IMG_9012.JPG
    IMG_9003.JPG
    IMG_9015.JPG
    IMG_9016.JPG
    IMG_9019.JPG
    IMG_9022.JPG
    IMG_9030.JPG
    IMG_9032.JPG
    IMG_9034.JPG
    IMG_9039.JPG
    IMG_9040.JPG
    IMG_9048.JPG
    IMG_9050.JPG

Copper Top, UNSHINED 2, Tim and 5 others like this.