Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bending a Pitman Arm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Oct 18, 2019.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

I wanted my Model A low but now my Pitman Arm is just 1 1/2 inches off the ground. I see you can buy dropped Pitman Arms but I need to go ( up) not down. Can I heat it and bend it up or is that a no no?
    Vega box
    No clearance issues with the engine
    Beam Axle Ford tie rod ends
    Gene in Mn

2. clem

clem

Will that put it up above the scrub line.?

olscrounger likes this.
  3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You can heat and bend a pitman arm , don't overheat , bend slowly ....

olscrounger likes this.
  4. flatford39

flatford39

I just did mine to clear the split bones on my AV8. Lots of heat and a 18" pipe wrench in a vise. Turned out really nice. It needs to get cherry red. Do not quench. Let it cool by itself.

bct, olscrounger and Just Gary like this.

5. They make Vega arms that look like they are cut from steel plate.They make them flat.Check Speedway,Pete and Jake, Socal Speed.It could be bent upward if need be.

6. clem

clem

Heating it and bending it will (usually) also shorten it, - just something to be aware of.

7. blazedogs

blazedogs

8. blazedogs

blazedogs

Good point .. if I buy a different pitman arm that is designed flat making it easier to bend, that you mentioned are available , if it's a bit (shorter) will the car steer harder ?? gene

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A photo would be a big help

Budget36 likes this.
  10. It will make the steering a little easier, but also a little slower (more turns of the steering wheel for same amount of turn at the tires). If you need to bring it back to how it is now, you can use a shorter steering arm at the spindle.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  11. brading

brading

Pete and Jakes do a bent backward one that looks like a raised arm

12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pitman arm bending is what I had to do to get my wife to let me buy the latest car

Jet96 likes this.
  13. ...buy 2 flat ones, bend em to what you need, then cut and weld them together so it's at your original length...?

14. clem

clem

I wouldn’t recommend that, and I am don’t think that wouldn’t be legal over here.
    Why not build a one off to suit ?
    I would be interested to hear others comment.

15. Next time you do this shit,,,,
    Rotate the Vega box mounting plate a little before welding it on

Russco and X-cpe like this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'm aware that different places have different rules , fine . Why is it , on this board , you can weld the bracket that holds the steering box but it's not recommended that you weld a steering shaft , pitman arm , steering arm and so on. , Everybody welds the bracketry that supports the car , the wish-bones , spring perches, the engine mounts , Z'd frame kickups ,all things that, if they fail , could be disastrous , but not those few pesky steering components . Really doesn't seem to make alot if sense .. another example is wheel centers , fine to weld those....

clem likes this.
  17. blazedogs

blazedogs

18. blazedogs

blazedogs

Good point Vicki One. Tilting the steering sector box would have alleviated the problem. Too late though ,welded and too far along now I have made my share of mistakes on this car. I think though everyone that builds a car thinks to themselves after finishing it( if I had to do it over I would have done this or that different). I planned and mapped it out before hand and still messed up in a few areas. Life is a learning experience... Gene in Mn

19. blazedogs

blazedogs

I read today that a few companies including Pete& Jakes make a pitman arm that is tapered 50 /50 so that the tie rod can be installed either way. Sound weird,how does that work??? Are any of you aware of this or can explain ?

20. Budget36

Budget36

I'd assume the taper is just 1/2 way through each side, i/e so you can flip it over.

Just Gary likes this.
  21. brading

brading

If you go on the Speedway Motors site, put in Vega Pitman Arm, click on the first image and there is a sketch that shows the ball joint end tapered top and bottom so that you can put the tie rod on top or bottom of the arm. Not flip it over. Like you said mate Lifes's a learning curve. Sure most guys on here a said I wish I had done that different or changed it along the way..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  22. brading

brading

Seen that done over here, where they have cut both pitman arm ends off, turned the outside down round then welded the in a new piece of steel that has been made to suit. If you look on the Speedway site the CPP 54052 looks like the steering boss has been welded into the arm.

clem likes this.
  23. How do you think I learned that trick?
    The difference is I was mocking up, bring mindful of all things, and just tacked. I just had to cut the tacks.

I’ve bent my share of pitman arms, center links, steering arms. Been done millions of times. It depends greatly on how much you’re bending it to the extent it will change length

24. Fordors

Fordors

@Tim mentioned it already, but let’s see a picture, or at least more description. Without a picture I’m guessing you have the stock Vega pitman, you could gain 2” of clearance by heating and bending it flat. Even more ground clearance is possible if you have the rod end hole reverse tapered with a 7* reamer and put the rod end on top.
    The CPP 54052 you mentioned is for a Vega power steering box and I think that has a larger spline than the manual box, and not only that, it also has a 5/8” hole for a heim joint rather than a tie rod end with a tapered shank. You don’t want that.

25. blazedogs

blazedogs

Can someone explain to me about the pitman arms that are being sold that are 50/50 so that the tie rod can be installed on either side. I don,t understand how this can be done ?? gene

26. Fordors

Fordors

Scan_0175.jpg

Here you go.

Budget36 and Just Gary like this.
  27. I just looked at Pete and Jakes bent back pitman #1020 BB. Worth a look.Summit racing carrys Pete,and Jakes.