Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chev SB to 1935 tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TudorTony, Sep 11, 2019.

1. TudorTony

TudorTony
    from NJ

2. Duke

Duke

Check out Wilcap, they have all the pieces you will need.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

This has been the universal solution to the flathead problems since the 1950s.

slack likes this.
  4. Ill second what @Duke said. Call wilcap, they have the proper set up, for about the same price. The big key to doing this swap is the pressure plate. A 49 or 50 Merc pressure plate will bolt directly to the chevy flywheel and uses the same through out bearing as the earlier ford trans so the clutch fingers are in the appropriate spot to work properly. The chevy pressure plate has fingers that can in the front bearing retaing if depressed all the way since it is a diaphragm style clutch and not a Long type. Call Wilcap, they have the right adapter, and clutch set up you need to do this with no issues. Good guys to work with and real nice parts. Speedway is the Wal Mart of hot rod stuff, sometimes its good, sometimes you get crap or stuff that doesn't work right, just like at Wal Mart....

5. Be sure to get the correct starter. It will probably be the very early one since most of the adapters were designed at that time.

Charlie Stephens

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unfortunately, it says "Out of Stock" at the bottom of the page. While the Wilcap unit initially looked like a super good deal and pictured all the parts you would need, the small print at the bottom says "We can supply the flywheel, starter, proper clutch cover, disk, throw out bearing, carrier, fork and cross shaft." I don't think any of that stuff is included in the $410 cost shown. I believe their ad to be quite misleading

While I have bought a few small parts from Wilcap, and find them a good resource, I find that they "will not be over-sold". It looks like Speedway may be your best (and perhaps only) choice.

I would also consider the used market (eBay, Craigslist, etc.). There have got to be literally thousands of these conversions out there that have been removed by "StreetRodders". Here's one for $112, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Gems...ion-Bellhousing-Adapter/183948838669?hash=ite I found with less than a 30 second search. You can probably do better. This is probably why Wilcap is "Out of Stock", and will probably stay that way.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And, I should add, "Speed Gems" is a cool name and quite "traditional".

8. Just Call Wilcap, ITs kinda a one man show, very good parts, and they don't stay up on the website. Im sure he has it in stock, and the website is not updated. It said the same thing when I ordered my parts, and he had all of it. Got it all in less than a week.

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must be nice to be rich. Isn't it "traditional" for hotrodders to be on a tight budget?:D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  10. TudorTony

TudorTony
    from NJ

Guy, sorry for slow reply, all info appreciated. I like the used adapters on EBay! Big savings & the Speed Gen I got looks great!
    Thx all
    T

11. I got a vintage speed gems adaptor
    I think it’s drilled for the early 3 bolt starter.
    I think a 50merc pressure plate was used in these swaps.

12. TudorTony

TudorTony
    from NJ

anthony myrick likes this.
  13. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Don't forget the longer spigot bush other wise your front shaft will be swingining in the breeze

14. banditomerc

banditomerc

Does anyone have a list of parts needed . Such as correct starter, etc..