Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flathead twin feed plastic to alloy radiator tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, Oct 17, 2019.

1. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    whats to stop you levering the tabs up and swapping the twin feed plastick tank onto another one.

2. alchemy

alchemy

That's a two pass radiator, right? There's a baffle in there to separate the in/out tank in half.

3. 62rebel

62rebel

Aren't flathead v8 tanks baffled as well? I think it's a plausible idea.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you thinking about pulling off the transmission cooler end and replacing it with another dual port tank?

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

In the first place, I doubt you'd get the tabs bent up without breaking them, they are pretty tough. Secondly, I doubt you could bend them down and get them tight enough to seal the tank without breaking something.

Most radiator shops won't even try to repair those when the tanks start leaking, they throw them away. Not saying it's impossible, just not likely it can be done. Prove me wrong....

town sedan and Blue One like this.
  6. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Bamamav, those tabs bend quite easily. I work at a scrapyard and we remove those tanks all the time and I don't recall ever breaking a tab in the process. That divider in the tank could probably be cut down fairly easily. Now I'm thinking I've got to try it at work one of these days.

town sedan and 62rebel like this.
  7. 62rebel

62rebel

I also worked in a salvage yard and we swapped tanks and cores pretty often. Heck of a lot easier than all metal radiators. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

The tabs develop metal fatigue and may break off. Some radiator shops have a pneumatic press support to give even pressure on the tanks for crimping the tanks back. Generally not worth the effort for questionable results.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You guys have had better luck with them that I had then. I broke tabs off left and right and never could get them to seal up.

That has been my experience. Radiator shops around here won't touch'em.

10. nobby

nobby

Hello again.... might a brand new radiator that has never seen heat fair better. I thought it may be possible. Especially when new rads a 50 bucks

11. oldolds

oldolds

Rad shops have special pliers to change the tanks. I have had tanks and gaskets changed on a few radiators.