Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Selling stuff, do you all get these questions too?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 16, 2019.

1. [​IMG]
    Actual X Ray image of a dude I sold to a couple of years ago.

OLSKOOL57, clem, Sandgroper and 5 others like this.
  2. Country Joe

Country Joe

I love the guys that think the $8,000.00 car I have for sale should be as perfect as a $38,000. car of the same year, make & model.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Offer up the option "wish in one hand and shit in the other and tell me which one fills up first".

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got that 51/52 Fleetline roof and trunk lid that I have listed in the classifieds listed on the local craigslist trying to help my friend get it out of her yard. I got a call asking if "the front spindle and hub were for sale: when the add says that is the one and only part that we have. Then I get a text asking if I'll sell the rear end as he had just blown the rear in his 50. He didn't even look to see that the roof was sitting on top of a Studebaker and had no body of it's own. A lot of guys just flat don't read and comprehend the adds.
    I've got an OT car for sale that the add says it has an engine problem and has to be towed but have had three people get their nose out of joint because they couldn't buy the cheap car and leave that day for California in it soon after. 3000 bucks for an engine change later they can go anywhere they want to.

rbrewer and Sandgroper like this.
  5. derbydad276

derbydad276

I have a 40 year old O/T car that I've been trying to sell all summer
    and I'm tired of....
    whats the lowest you'll take ,
    why are you selling such a cool car,
    about how some family member had one just like it ,
    will you take a check ,
    and no I will not arrange shipping to The Sudan

6. 2019 37 flat side.jpg Funny but very true read.
    I buy and sell quite a few cars every year and have heard all the lines excuses etc.
    But I just had the opposite happen and W O W was I surprised.
    Had a real nice 37 Ford Flat back 4 sale here and on that social media page for a very fair price.
    Guy calls yesterday morning and ask a few ?'s , then says "I'm only 3 hrs away, I'll come down and look @ it"
    He pulls in the drive, get's out of his truck, looks @ it for 5 minutes and say's I'll take it.
    Hands me a very sizable deposit and said I'll be back next week to get it with the rest of the cash.
    Moral of the story, be up front, honest and price em fair and they will sell.

1Nimrod, OLSKOOL57, clem and 9 others like this.
  7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My standard reply to the "What is your bottom dollar" for the XXXX" is "what is your top dollar?"

It usually pisses them off and they hang up.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

THAT is EXACTLY the correct response! :D

9. Hombre

Hombre

Another Hamber related this story to me a few months ago. He had a complete free turning Flathead he was just trying to clean out of his shop. So he runs an ad in the Pay It Forward section and offers it for free just come and get it. Guy messages him they talk about the engine and the guy has the nuts to ask him if he will split the shipping charges. You cannot, no matter how hard you try, make all of the clowns out there happy.

1Nimrod, Roadsir, woodsnwater and 9 others like this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

"How much my note on that?"

Hnstray likes this.
  11. I was selling a shovelhead chopper, 12over springer, custom paint, chrome everything and a guy in a ratty pickup shows up for a look. Hems and haws, whines a little over the price, and points to the gal in the truck and asks if maybe we could deal. I tell him if he thinks she's that good, maybe it's time he lets her turn pro. The guys face lights up like the bulb just switched on. He's back a week later with the cash. I didn't ask...………..

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I was generous and offered it to him for the full price. ;)

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- Yep - was trying to sell stuff at a swap meet last Saturday and seller across that aisle was a gray hair with a lot of memorabilia to sell - had a young guy helping him - overheard him to say exactly what you did - better yet is to spend others money

jim snow likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, why wouldn't he? You are asking 8 times what it cost when new!!!! :D

Ray

Country Joe and flynbrian48 like this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I had a Rototiller for sale, totally restored/rebuilt/ new paint /decals..A guy calls on it, looks it over and hands me the $450.00 that I was asking..As we were strapping it down on his trailer I mentioned that some dork had called and offered me a $100.00..He said, "I had to ask.' !!o_O

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I put an OT sporty car on Craigslist a few years back, ad said I prefered a trade , listed what I would be willing to trade for, got all kinds of replies, but none with what I wanted. Got a few low ball cash offers, but none near what the car was worth. I ended up trading it on a two year newer OT sporty car with a back seat. Haven't tried getting rid of it yet, but figure the result will be the same. My stuff is worthless, stuff I want to buy is priceless, or so it seems.

1Nimrod, classiccarjack, weps and 7 others like this.
  17. 66gmc

66gmc

I had a guy interested in an o/t beater truck I was selling. Asked if I would take payments and I said not a chance. Then he asked if he could take down the serial number so he could get the bank to loan him the money...at that point I strongly considered telling him to get lost, but I decided to play along. Later that day he showed up with the full asking price and a trailer. Never even test drove the truck, just handed me the cash, loaded the truck on his trailer and took off. I was afraid to ask what kind of bank loans money for a rusted out 40 year old truck.
    9 times out of 10 potential buyers are full of it, but sometimes it pays to be patient with them.

1Nimrod, classiccarjack and jim snow like this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At swap meets I like to have fun and haggle a bit. When sell, I if buyer shoots low, I'll raise the price right to him. I watch them get pissed off. Standard answer is "you offered lower, that stopped the deal at the first price" I tell them you should have took the first deal. To me it's all fun when they see what I'm doing. I sell low to start, it's there because I want it gone. Cast iron parts don't come home...

jim snow, Flathead Dave and 302GMC like this.
  19. Terraizer

Terraizer

I get the ones that ask will you take this amount for what you have for sale, you say yes and then you never hear back from them. Or you have your location in your ad, they contact you about what you have for sale and then they say it's to far knowing where you are before contacting you. Lots of picture collectors also.

Crosley likes this.
  20. mountainman2

mountainman2

And "What be da downstroke>"

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  21. Had a guy e mail me the other day about an item I was selling. He asks what's the lowest price you'll take? I said that depends on how much cash you have when you get here to look at it. No response. :p

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Suggest you reply........"if you show up with cash, we can discuss what I'll take......until then my price is (whatever the ad says)".....sort of the same response @choffman41 says in his post above....he has it right.

Ray

1Nimrod, patmanta and arkiehotrods like this.
  23. tjm73

tjm73

I was selling a non-HAMB Mustang GT for just $2300 on Craigslist. Dude calls me asks if I'll take $1000 cash and a "bunch" of weed. I laughed and told him that's not my deal.

LOU WELLS, mgtstumpy and Hnstray like this.
  24. I did swap meets for 20 years and had fun selling and buying. I was at the Lincoln, Ne swap meet and had a set of used snow tires with studs that a friend had given me. They were the wrong size for my wagon so instead of putting a price on them, I put a sign that said FREE, About a thousand questions and nobody took them home until we started to pack up….You sure these are for free? Yes. OK. I missed out on an EMF emblem at that show.

Hnstray likes this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^^^^"no good deed goes unpunished!".........:D

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A couple years ago I wound up owning an OT Jeep for it's tow bill. The driver had hit a deer, taking out the radiator and the belts, and let it sit there and run until it died. Both aluminum heads dropped inserts, so I decided to pass it on. It was so bad, that it wouldn't even cough when trying to start it. My ad clearly stated what it needed, why it needed them and that it was strictly a non running project. 3 different people asked me "does it run okay?" It did sell for a profit however, so all was good in the end. I have learned to take dumb questions in stride, it's one of the joys of selling :)

1Nimrod, Crosley and Hnstray like this.
  27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The problem with human nature is that it's so prevalent.

28. 41woodie

41woodie

When selling on the "bay" my favorite question is "will you guarantee it'll make it to ....wherever. I wouldn't guarantee a brand new Mercedes would make it.

1Nimrod, LOU WELLS and classiccarjack like this.
  29. trollst

trollst

I hate selling shit, a guy tells me he wants my roadster pickup, he's five hours from me, asks if I have a car trailer, I do, so he asks me to truck the car half way, we'd put it on his trailer and finish the deal.......and after some carefully planned questions, turns out he just wants to look at it. How stupid did he think I was?
    On the other hand, a week ago I got in a conversation about an upcoming project, was asked what it would take to sell, just idle conversation, guy shows up yesterday with an envelope and the deal was done, a deal I didn't even know was happening. So....you just never know.

1Nimrod, arkiehotrods and Hnstray like this.
  30. One that always pissed my dad off - way before our times.....the caller - "do the tires hold air" yes he would say and hang up on them.

LOU WELLS and Hnstray like this.