Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What needs to happen here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Oct 15, 2019.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Moving on with the update of my ‘28 high boy I’m wondering what to do with the back edge of the cockpit. I believe this car had a wooden piece going around the back in the past. Some early style rods had upholstery or the seat back sticking up and covering this area. I won’t be doing that. It needs to be finished and painted but how can I attach a soft top back there.
    Please post some pictures of how others have made this area look good with and without the top. Even pics of a stocker might help.
    IMG_2137.JPG IMG_2138.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

035.JPG What I'm showing,is behind my seat{storage with a shelf },there is a 1/2in. plywood panel that is what holds body shape. In my case,I have a bobtail "A"roadster,do to all of trunk was crushed back when I got the "A"in late 1950s. I cut off the wrecked rear end,an built the rest in to my hot rod in 1959.

Texas Webb, ramblin dan and hrm2k like this.
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

So yours has a wooden strip across the back. Nice. Are the top snaps on the top or on the back of the strip? Thank for posting the photo.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

You will need the wood , the snaps have parts on the wood and also the top

dana barlow likes this.

5. You need “something” vertical to attach the snaps. Wood is the easiest. Use good wood.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Boneyard51 and williebill like this.
  7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are wood strips that get attached to the upper edge area. This pic is from my 31 but the concept is the same. Snaps are then fastened into the backside of the wood and the mating part is put on the top. Pull the top down over the wood strip and snap in place.

20180425_175845.jpg

williebill and dana barlow like this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

I like the natural wood across the back more than I thought I would. Especially with the dark color (mine will be midnight blue metallic). If I have the upholstery guy do the seat back so it’s flush with the top of the wood it will have the early flavor and the wood won’t look so lonely up there. Is there supposed to be wood inside around the rim that the upholsterer uses as a tack strip for a close out behind the seat?

dana barlow likes this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

A couple pictures of the top that came with the car. It seems like a nice top, heavy material, formed hardwood bows and chrome hardware.
    I was originally thinking of finishing off the top of the body nicely, putting snaps on the backside of the body reveal and having the top shop make me a canvas strip to extend the top down to the snaps. IMG_2140.JPG IMG_2141.JPG IMG_2139.JPG

lumpy 63, GordonC and dana barlow like this.
  11. Calling Dr. Clark, Dr. @Clark
    20191015_145731.jpg

GordonC and dana barlow like this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

You ask about tack strip under rear cockpit lip,yes I made one,is black in pic so a little hard to see,but you know what to look for;this is before covering it{ I used some 1/4in. thin form under cover=lets seat back look like perfect fit!!
    [​IMG]

osage orange likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks Dana. You’ve finished that area off very nicely. I hope I can do the same.
    This is where I’m headed with my interior. Except for the seat puffing over the edge. IMG_2060.JPG

dana barlow and harpo1313 like this.
  14. There are company's that make the deck former's but they can be made by cutting and gluing pieces together. HRP

deck former.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

dana barlow likes this.
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If someone told me..... “I’m going to do my seats in .....yellow” I would have said” have you lost your mind! “
    But your interior looks awesome!!! Especially next to that beautiful wood!

Bones

dana barlow likes this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Dana I can’t believe you’ve hung onto your car for so long. That’s just awesome!
    Gordon C, love those fenders. I’ve got a pair of old nicely bobbed rears but haven’t used them yet.

dana barlow, osage orange and GordonC like this.
  18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I removed 5 3/4" from each of them. I think they look better not all long and hanging down. Here's a full rear shot. Also a better pic of the interior. I'm just getting it finished up and just put the seat in last week. Sounds like your interior will be similar to mine!

20180423_182027.jpg 20191015_191027.jpg 20190314_162615.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks,,,Your top look like a great one. Early 1960s Coconut Grove/ Miami Fla.My old fenders {MC type}were made from 2 continental kits tire covers,each cut in 1/2 ,bolts through brake backing plates an wing nuts too hold brackets for fenders=I hated those little things,took them off every time I could.
    I had to use them when ever the only cop {Richard -a dick-Warner }that pushed the law about them was assigned my side of town{that ass would give me a ticket for no fenders} others were cool cops,didn't care about BS stuff.

Bones;
    Color yellow was added with #2 redo of seats in 61,to match Ford yellow engine I used all the time, so LOL, I had all black on my first interior seat n cover,a buddy Nuwt's Car n Boat tops an seats, gave me left over roll of black to use. Didn't take long to know why black on seat in Florida sun was bad idea. He replace seat covers like you see now,Newt {RIP],did them way back,I redid same,,but I did them my self this last time, same way he did pretty much. I do still keep a beach towel be hind seat,habbet left over from all black in sides! Plus was good to have on dates when I was a lot younger.

GordonC;WOW nice.

Flathead Dave; wind if rear window closed buffits,but open it dose not. So only close if raining hard. I should make sides for top but,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GordonC likes this.
  20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Dana. Coming to the end of a 5 year build. Feels good.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

I went upstairs and rummaged through the stuff that came with the roadster and found a partial wood kit and the belt wood. I had tried it before and it fit so poorly that I thought the kit was for a different car. It's an AMD 1276 kit from Snyder's as near as I can tell from the markings on each piece. I lined up the long wood piece with the existing holes that coincided and seemed to center it, then clamped it on. All three holes on the end pieces lined up but the position is not great in relation to the long piece. It looks like they had custom made the end pieces at least because the blue tape in the photo marks where the front snap on the top is. The previous owner was Dale Velzy, a surfboard shaper, so I'm sure he could shape a little piece of wood to fit.
    If I go this way it looks like I'll be testing my wood working skills.
    Gordon C; yep, looks like they will be very similar.

IMG_2142.JPG

GordonC and dana barlow like this.