Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods cheap thrills

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thepartsbinguy1, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

The 283 has been laying around a very long time. the crank was scored along with the bearings. we dug around in buckets till we found enough bolts then bolted the 283 together anyway. Two different stock truck heads with a tunnel ram. Not to mention the 525 lift cam. It pushed a stud nut off of its threads twice and left a rocker just flopping in the wind all the while I never noticed it pushed a pushrod straight through a faulty rocker. Once we fixed and got the rockers set it stopped knocking/smoking and sounded pretty stable. if I can get the carburetor tuned for a steady lower idle and let it run for awhile it might even break in enough to stay together. side note it's pegged three oil pressure gauges to the point the gauges broke? I can't figure out why the pressure is so high? It snapped three gauges at idle...

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pressure relief spring on the oil pump is stuck/clogged

and do an introduction

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

oil pump is why the high oil pressure. good luck keeping it togher

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

This is gonna be fun...:)

5. This sounds like fun!!!
    FAAE8420-FFEB-49C5-9450-6CA2F7092735.gif

6. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

I don't think she'll live for very long. But damn I love the story!

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They run best..........right before they blow up!

X-cpe, Frankie47, flatford39 and 9 others like this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes, always fun when it is someone else doing something crazy and we can stand back and be the observer. :D

9. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

The beast wouldn't start this morning. Checked for spark the ground cable wiggled itself loose. got that fixed and it fired up. But anyway we have the pan dropped and were going to get a new oil pump. The one we picked outta the burn pile must be clogged. once the pan is back on we can start messing with adjustment screws.

RustyDogg likes this.
  10. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I probably should have bought a new oil pump but I just didn't care to spend the money... This is what the pump looked like when we installed it. Didn't even clean it. I didn't know they could clog up so I wasn't worried.

Attached Files:

11. upspirate

upspirate

This build is a good example.....

12. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I’m following this .....build thread?

upspirate likes this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. My kinda cheap thrills. HRP

[​IMG]

warbird1, jimgoetz, shivasdad and 3 others like this.
  15. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

It could be a build thread! My heart was pounding out of my chest when it fired up for the very first time.

Attached Files:

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Is there a point to be made here? Like how to fuck up an engine? What not to do at home? Someone help me out please.

18. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Here is the picture of the scoring on the crank that's in it. When we were first turning it over it would start to sort of 'lock up' it was the starter hitting the flywheel at a bad angle. we got that problem resolved also. Now that it has ran for awhile it turns over very freely before it starts.

Attached Files:

RustyDogg likes this.
  19. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Pure Hijinks!!

20. would this be considered a rat rod? An inside out rat rod, rust/worn parts are on the inside not outside...

I'm curious to see how the scored crank mains hold up, in the direction of rotation will it ride on a film of oil/no problem or wipe out the bearings? got to be thousands of engines backyard rebuilt back in the day that were like that.

burn pile oil pump - now that takes some sense of adventure! I'd be worried the tension had gone out of the pressure relief spring to the fire /heat, or there was warpage.

21. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I have no intentions of waiting for them to order in a new oil pump. We stole the one off the 350 problem solved

22. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

While the pan was off I wiggled the rods around the cap area they were all very tight no slop or anything I'm kind of impressed. The oil pump is in and the pan is back on. gotta look around for another gauge and see if it's fixed

23. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Wow! at a 900 rpm idle it has 20 pounds. When I rev it up the gauge touches 50 pounds! the 525 lift cam is ROWDY.. It's running rather smooth even reminds me of are mild built 327. seems we have a minor air leak affecting idle but before we switch intakes were gonna try a different carburetor.

24. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

The tunnel ram was causing a major vac leak. We took the intake off the 350 and I Took a wire wheel and cleaned both surfaces on the head where the intake gaskets set. it's really smoothed out the idle!

belair likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds about like some of the stuff the old pulp wooders around here would do. Polish a crank with some emery cloth, so what if it had an extra groove? Put in whatever pistons they had from two or there different engines, two different heads, make a carb adapter out of a piece of wood. Even reuse gaskets if they weren't torn up, spray them with paint, let it get tacky, then bolt it down. I've seen some weird stuff put together and run......and last until they could afford another engine or another worn out truck.

Baumi and jimgoetz like this.
  26. 62rebel

62rebel

PULP WOODERS!!!!! I hadn't heard them referred to since I left Virginia!!! Damn straight, they are the most resourceful redneck mechanics I've ever seen

27. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I cannot get it to stop surging it will sound like it's gonna idle then try to die revv it up the rpms shoot up and will stay there all day till you manually back the throttle adjustment back once you do that it tries to stall. It was idling fine for a bit? I'm stumped

28. Get a vacuum gauge on there...I'm guessing you have a vac leak, check the linkage and return springs on the carbs...could be needle valve,power valve, worn throttle shafts...these junker engines are fun until they won't run right

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have a .060 over 350 short block and some home ported smogger heads here that are otherwise just about even with what you have going on here, minus the tunnel ram. The goal is zero dollars spent, and flog the crap out of it. Waiting for the right (meaning cheap) vehicle to come along to put it in.

30. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Maybe loose timing chain, the slack letting the cam duration cause surging.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app