Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats the best way to shorten a tie rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irishsteve, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Im setting up a early Ford front end,and Im going to use Speedways 1-1/2 inch drop tie rod ends to get the tie rod below the wishbone.These rod ends are longer than the standard Ford rod end so I need a shorter tie rod tube.I plan on getting a Speedway tube,and modify the length.I see two possible ways.....cut to length ,and drill the end to 5/8 then tap to 11/16-18....or run the 11/16-18 tap in using the current threads as a guide,and then trim several inches as I go until I have the desired length.This method would help keep the tap straight,but most likely the area below the thread is larger than 5/8 inch which may make it very hard to tap.No lathe on hand so this is all by hand.Anyone ever shortened one? Plan Z is cut the center,and then put filler rod in,and weld a couple plug holes on each side then the center.I don't care for welded steering parts so im hoping to cut,and thread.

2. Got access to a lathe?
    We cut the length we needed from DOM tubing. Then cut the threads in a lathe. This kept them centered

Frankie47, lumpy 63 and j-jock like this.
  3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I had to shorten one from Speedway and I just ran the tap in further to extend the threads. No issues

Johnny Gee and j-jock like this.
  4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

The speedway tie rod tubes come with a pretty deep thread. I don't have any not installed on the car, but it seems like those threads are 3" deep. That means you could cut up to 3" off (1-1/2" each end). Speedway sells them in enough lengths you ought to be able to do it without tapping.

5. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

I’m in the same boat, using the dropped f1 tie rods on my Model A. I was wondering the same thing as it looks like my tie rod tube needs to be 34” glad someone is in the same boat!

Attached Files:

irishsteve likes this.
  6. Thats what I came up with 34 inches.I guess im going to run a tap in the existing threads to use them as a guide.Thread a inch then cut off a inch until I get there.Speedway makes a 42 inch so theres LOTS of taping to be done.I could cut to length them tap,but its hard to hand start large taps so they run true.If they arent true it wont go in far.The only machinist in my area is not cheap he charged me 120 bucks to hone 2 sets of kingpin bushings! so im in no hurry to go see him.

7. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Speedway will make them in any length you want.
    SPark

Hnstray and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  8. I didnt see that I will have to recheck.They list a number of lengths,but not mine.

Pete Poling likes this.
  9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

10. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Rare parts in Stockton Ca.can make one also.
    You could cut the rod take out what you need put a solid shaft inside plug weld it in and weld the butt together and your done.

11. Thanks for the lead on Rare Parts. Welding one was my last resort.

12. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

I’m gonna just call speedway.... it seems like I read somewhere that they do custom lengths. It’s probably double the cost lol

13. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

I also thought about ordering the longest one they have so I can have a chunk of the same stuff to use when making my drag link.... I think a 10” piece is the same price as the 52” piece

Frankie47 likes this.
  14. Do you guys even bother to look at then read the stuff they bother to put up on the web site?

Read the last line?
    This is from their tie rod and drag link “kit” that if you were to order,, YOU need to tell them how long to make it.
    FA3A5985-C157-4E34-9BEB-AE5AD936B897.png

Hnstray likes this.
  15. That sounds like $1000 worth of effort to solve a $100 problem

Hnstray likes this.
  16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$98 for custom length.

17. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Be certain to drill with 5/8" before tapping. I didn't and broke a 11/16 tap in half the hole

18. alchemy

alchemy

Did you even bother to look at the original post? ;)

He said he is going to use the dropped ends, and they require a shorter tube than standard. Can't just measure hole-to-hole and send this dimension off to Speedway for them to build.

Unless, Speedway will build the assembly with the dropped ends already installed......hmm.

To the OP: As Bert Kollar said, don't just jam the tap in there unless you feel REALLY lucky. Breaking it off would ruin your day. There's got to be a guy around with a lathe that you can buddy up to. Even the smallest lathe will do the job. Drill, then tap, both on the lathe.

Pete Poling likes this.
  19. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Yea I’ll buy the $30 piece and do it myself lol[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. I shortened one many years ago by cutting it where I needed and discovered that I needed a specialty tap fortunately I had a friend that was a machinist and he had the expensive tap I needed to do the job. HRP

21. Breaking a tap in a section that hasn't been drilled to 5/8 is one of my concerns when taping below existing thread.If they will make one for 98 bucks I would say its money well spent just to have one more thing done.

Hnstray and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Remember there are three main kinds of taps. If used in the wrong place, you will get poor results.
    1: Starting tap, theses are very tapered and will start threads straight, with no problem, but will not complete the threads at the bottom of the hole.
    2: Bottoming tap, used to cut/clean threads all the way to the bottom of the hole.
    3: Combination tap, a combo of a starting tap and bottoming tap.... the most common tap out there and does both jobs......poorly!
    Use the right tap for the job, right technique, proper lubercation, no problem !

Bones

dmar836, Hnstray and irishsteve like this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

Speedway sells the 11/16" tap. I needed a longer drag link and it was cheaper to buy the next size longer and shorten it to fit.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. I’ll just take that that as confirmation.
    6076DDD5-D856-4359-9562-88F9E6890887.png

And just Incase ya skimmed over it they put it there again. In the notes

Smfh

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Call Pete & Jake's, I've had them make me lots of custom length tie rods and drag links for some of the weird things customers have had me do. I don't remember but I think they're cheaper than Speedway.

Hnstray and irishsteve like this.