Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Ford "Canned Monster" Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lancer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

You started this a few months before I started on my Pontiac. I'm still plugging away a little at a time also. Starting my interior as soon as I get over my hernia surgery. LOL

loudbang likes this.
  2. Lancer

Lancer

This project has felt like a hernia from time to time, haha. But, I am back on track again. Sold some cars and refocused my attention. I looked at when I started this build and was shocked it was 6 years.

loudbang and wvenfield like this.
  3. Lancer

Lancer

[​IMG]
    Glad I took photos before taking it apart two years ago. Now that I need to get measurements to order parts. Ordering a steering column, column drop, coupler and a few other things.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Gammz and loudbang like this.
  4. Lancer

Lancer

Not a whole lot to report. We are ordering steering components this week. A new column, column drop mount, column mount bracket, U-Joint and a red metal flake steering wheel. Once the column is in place we can position the Wilwood brake/cluth pedal assembly and start on the mounting brackets etc. More pics soon.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Lancer

Lancer

[​IMG]
    Parts have landed. Hope to have some steering in place soon.

loudbang, wvenfield and 54 ford coupe like this.
  6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Its good to see you're back on it, I was just thinking about this car the other day.

loudbang and Lancer like this.
  7. Lancer

Lancer

Ya, back on it again. I've always put family first so my car projects have always moved at a snails pace. It is what it is, life's a journey not a race right?

LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

True that and my truck was quite the journey, both in patience and expenditures. After I bought my avatar for $275 in 1980, I found the stuck motor already bored 0.060" over but cylinder walls were badly scuffed, block was toast. I got a 292 out of a '57 Fairlane the day Reagan got shot, (pretty somber ride home from the junkyard that day). Anyway had to go 0.060" to clean up the bores, rebuilt the engine, clutch, brakes etc. Got 'er on the road for a few months then a wiring harness fire made the truck a yard ornament for 12 years while I did some time in the Merchant Marines and earned a college degree.
    When Saddam Hussein got his freak on, prompting Desert Shield I signed on with one of the U.S. Ready Reserve merchant ships tasked to transport ships. tanks, trucks, humvees et al to Ad-Daman (I'll Be Damned) Saudi Arabia. never saw so much frikken sand in my life. Anyway, when I came home I had the money to rewire the truck (thanks TCC Virginia Portsmouth Campus), go through the motor and brakes again and get it on the road legal. After 12 years it was really cool to drive down Portsmouth Blvd and pass the speed traps with a smile.
    Eli
    Sorry for the long reply, these Blue Moons can getcha at the end. :D:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  9. Lancer

Lancer

Thanks for sharing. My DeSoto so far has been my longest to date. 17 years I think now and not on the road yet. It’s off getting some air ride installed. Maybe next year it will be drivable. ‍♂️ I have photos of my kids working on it when they were 3 and 5 years old. Boy does time go by quickly, they are now 19 and 22.

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool! What year DeSoto?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Lancer

Lancer

1953 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman. It’s the 2 door hardtop Hemi car. I have a build thread on here someplace.

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Lancer likes this.
  13. Lancer

Lancer

loudbang likes this.
  14. Lancer

Lancer

Steering box painted up yesterday.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

drdave, loudbang, Gammz and 3 others like this.
  15. Lancer

Lancer

Steering box, column and wheel installed finally.
    IMG_1800.JPG IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1798.JPG

LAROKE, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  16. Lancer

Lancer

[​IMG]
    Dropped off the car to get the metal work done. Been waiting for this. Skot at Progressive Kustoms is doing the work.

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

I always like to see updates here as we started our projects in the same year and both still slowly working away. LOL

guthriesmith, loudbang and Lancer like this.
  18. Lancer

Lancer

Slow and sort of steady. Life keeps getting in the way.

loudbang and wvenfield like this.
  19. Lancer

Lancer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Progress on the beast finally. Thanks to Skot Randall for his metalwork skills.

20. Lancer

Lancer

Just starting to work on Part 2 of the build videos. In the meantime here is a reminder of where it all started. I'm also working on Part 1 of the F250 Monster Hauler truck build for YouTube. I'll post it up here when its up. Thanks all for the support.

21. Lancer

Lancer

I created a part 1 video for the Monster Hauler truck build. Part 2 coming soon. I'm also working on Part 2 of the Gasser Video. Thats next on the list. Enjoy!

Jeff Norwell and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you leave the under grille splash pan remember to paint it Argent Silver.... the 55-56 guys will get it!;)

loudbang, guthriesmith and Lancer like this.
  23. Lancer

Lancer

I don't plan on running the splash pan on the '56. Just the grill and it will have an aluminum tank in front of that.

loudbang and jimmy six like this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK... I’ve got another one for you. For taillights add bulbs and sockets behind the reflectors above the backup lights. Then I would just have brake lights where the regular dual filament was. Be pretty cool at night stopping

Lancer, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Lancer

Lancer

Thanks for the info, I have something cool and special planned for the tail lights. Learned it from @BIGREDTODD

26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Have not checked in on this thread in awhile , glad to see you are going to "finish" the rear wheel openings. I know it was common back in the day to just hack out the wheel wells for clearance , but being a "go and show" guy I always thought it left the car looking butchered up. Hope to see the finish car looking like the art work including wheels up and tires smoking!! Larry

27. Lancer

Lancer

Thanks Larry, I always planned on having the rear wheel openings, but its out of my skill set. I'm glad to have found these weld on options.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Lancer

Lancer

Part 2 is now up on YouTube.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  29. Andy

Andy

30. Lancer

Lancer

I've had a few people say that, I guess I'm missing what you think is wrong. There aren't any issues with it, works just fine.

loudbang likes this.