Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Merc Kustom Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by michaelvz51, Aug 22, 2012.

1. sunvalley54

sunvalley54
    Alliance Vendor

The real question is how much spool wire have you guys used on this project? LoL! Love all the detail and pictures of the process and the fact that your a FORD guy! Keep up the good work.

rpm56 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Last count was 1 10lb spool of .030 and 2 10lb spools of .023! Thanks for the kind words!

3. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-08-01 Final Block .jpeg
    Once we got the car in the best shape we could, I needed to find an option for primer and paint. I was introduced to Canoga Auto Works in Canoga Park, CA and met with the crew there: Khalil, Amir, Steven, Beto and Joel. Khalil and Amir with Steven run this shop and Beto and Joel work on special projects like this car after hours which worked out well! Although it took some time, Beto's fine tuning of the body and Joel's paint skills were simply awesome to me and I am more than thrilled at the final outcome. This pic is during the final block out process just before final primer.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-05-17 Final Primer (2).jpeg 2019-05-17 Final Primer (1).jpeg 2019-05-17 Final Primer (4).jpeg
    I 2019-05-17 Final Primer (3).jpeg
    I know that bodywork pics may not be exciting to some, BUT, look at how crisp the lines on the car are taking shape after tuning and primer is applied by artists...…….

5. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-08-24 In The Booth.jpeg 2019-09-04 Final Trim Fit.jpeg 2019-09-04 Final Trim Fit2.jpeg
    Here's a booth primer pic and two important step pics: final trim fitment to make sure it will all fit AFTER paint. This was a step I was not expecting but am very grateful that it was done this way! Next will be paint and trim installation etc. Getting exciting after all this time Hambers!

6. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-09-14 Painted 1.jpeg 2019-09-14 Painted 2 .jpeg 2019-09-14 Painted 3 .jpeg
    Fresh out of the paint booth! Finally, the color is revealed and its unbelievable in the sun as it literally changes color before your eyes! Look at the pics carefully and notice the depth of color change, exactly what we were planning for. I'm not excited here NOT! The boys at Canoga Auto Works made this man's dream come to life. Now, wait a week or two for the clear to properly dry and gas off before color sand and buff.

7. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-09-26 Painted 1.jpeg 2019-09-26 Painted 2.jpeg
    FINALLY back home for all the details to be installed. Next up will be polishing all the Stainless Steel trim and putting this jewelry back on her-More to come soon

8. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-09-28 Trim 2.jpeg 2019-09-28 Trim 1.jpeg
    Polished Stainless Trim beginning to be installed. I have learned so much throughout this project and will again thank the HAMB for guidance. I have recently learned to how to restore, repair and polish this Stainless Trim and so far its going well. I'll be posting more as the project continues!

9. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

10. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Thank you KandN! More to come soon as I continue to add jewelery!

11. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-10-05 Passenger Side Trim And Antenna.jpeg
    Update:
    Passenger Trim polished and installed and the Antenna too, starting to see what the vision is becoming...

chryslerfan55 and Surfcityrocker like this.
  12. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-10-05 Grill Teeth (1).jpeg 2019-10-05 Grille Teeth (2).jpeg Grille Teeth installed and the one year only, extremely hard to find 1949 Mercury Hood Letters. I am putting some trim pieces back on the car as this would have been done later in the show circuit in the late 50's. Plus, I just like the extra bling...........

FlatJan, rpm56, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool! I don't know how this thread got by my Kustom Mercury filter. Sweet ride! I cant wait to watch it come together.

14. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Mister Straykatkustoms………...What a compliment, especially coming from you! Thank you so much, it means a lot. I have been addicted to your "Kustoms Blues" thread for many years and have garnered many of the ideas I am incorporating into this car from the posts. Between you and the Riksters websites, one can become very educated on what a Kustom should try to become as a finished or continuing rolling project. I have lots more Kool features (at least I think so) that I am going to install on this car soon-man, it takes time to install everything without hammering the paint and/or chrome but worth the extra time to do so. By the way, this car WILL NOT be trailered, it is being built to drive the white walls off it! Be on the lookout in the near future for it.

15. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-10-09 Passenger Door Handle 2.jpeg 2019-10-09 Passenger Side Door Handle Install 1.jpeg
    For those who have been watching, did you notice the "door pockets" I worked my ass of to weld into the doors? Well, now you see what is filling that space...…….How about some 54' Chevy Door Handles with the DeeeeeeeeLuxe Knuckle Guards that happen to be "spear" shaped? Yes, the spear shape on this car is a theme and you will see more as it comes to life. I know you are asking "What the heck did he put "Chevy" door handles on a Merc"? The same reason I am putting a bunch of Desoto parts on it, because I believe these parts enhance the overall appearance and theme I designed while studying all the pics of Kustoms on the HAMB for several years. Also, these are very user friendly as they lock the doors too without having an extra hole in the door for the original keyed lock of the Merc. Look closely at the sunken antenna mount in previous posts and check the lead work we did to make, you guessed it, a spear or teardrop shape. You can also see the teaser of the full on Wide Whitewalls being installed on the rear. Next up will be the Skirts...………..

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the kind words. It is good to see all of the kustom projects being built. Yours is a kool example of someone brave enough to try new ideas. Kustoms are a lot of work and fun to build, they are rolling pieces of art and a lot more fun than carrying around a painting.

Love that you are going to run door handles. You couldn't tell by looking at my Merc but I think kustoms need some chrome to break up the smooth. I'm looking into running door handles as well, just hadn't got there yet. Kool how your cut outs for the handles match the Pontiac trim. Very Kool!

17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I totally get why you put the Chevy handles on the car. Smart thinking!

18. Shanemade

Shanemade

This thing is awesome!! Nice work!!

slim39 likes this.
  19. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Thanks for the positive words Shanemade, more pics soon!

20. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hi Peanut, wait till you see the Lark trim I’m using inside in the door panels!

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  21. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Yep coming to this site late. But “to drive the whitewalls off it” is my kinda of builder.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Oooooh, intriguing! I bet I know what year and trim level, but I'll wait to see for myself. :)

23. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-10-12 Skirt Pic 1.jpeg 2019-10-12 Skirt Pic 2.jpeg
    Here are a few of the Driver Side Skirt installed and completed with the 54' Merc modified spears. I had to "shave" down the spears so they would not hit the body and I did this using different coarseness files. I used good quality masking tape to mark off how much to shave and also to help keep the chrome in place once they were completed. I used "Camper Installation Tape" for the weather stripping and to act as a barrier between the body and the skirt. I believe all the work to build these was worth it-Thanks again to the HAMB for the ideas and guidance. (The front tire is just a roller and will be replaced with the wide whites like in the rear once I get the front end straightened out)

24. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Mercman, that's a bad ass Merc and it looks like you too like too drive the whitewalls off it! Looks like we got us some matching rear view mirrors too!

25. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Thanks @michaelvz51. At one time I had muscle cars, hardly drove them. Now if I can’t drive it, I won’t own it. When I bought the Mirrors I wanted something that looks like they were older. Like the color of your Merc it’s going to be sweet when your done. Maybe The CCR 2020 huh? Indy is a really nice show.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

26. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-10-24 Rear Seat Panel.jpeg
    Rear T Bird Seat in placement and just starting the woodwork for the interior upholstery panels. Note the "Drive In Speaker Cover" which are now being remanufactured so I will run them throughout the car for the audio system. I'm also using some Studebaker Lark trim I found to separate the upholstery types. Next will be more woodwork and installing the sound deadener throughout.

Mercman, you and I have the same beliefs, this car needs to be driven! I would love to go to CCR and that is always a possibility.

Surfcityrocker and loudbang like this.
  27. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

@michaelvz51 amazing work! This is gonna be one beautiful Merc. I'm always blown away by how much work and detail go into these custom builds. This one is no different. A work of art! Can't wait to see more updates as follow along...

loudbang likes this.
  28. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hi Cheater Chrome,
    Thanks for the good words here, this has been a long, tedious and educational project that I embarked on several years ago but I would not change anything! I've got more updates coming soon as I am working on the interior more now. To call my car a "work of art" is a great compliment and I appreciate it as I believe Kustoms are rolling art pieces.

29. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-11-02 Center Console 1 .jpg Here is the start of my custom center console. I am building it of a combination of round tubing, square tubing, Sheetmetal and wood. This shows the 1" round tube main frame with a Sheetmetal cover for the shifter. I welded 1/4" bolts to the floor and made a bracket to mount it easily and with some adjustment for future upholstery. We decided to keep the rear floor open for passengers hence the drop at the back of the seats.

30. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-11-02 Center Console 2.jpg Here is a side view from passenger side

chryslerfan55 and Cheater Chrome like this.