Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rod picture and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Student9038, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank You Bowie...I have always been curious of the Origins of this Low Slung Look...and one thing for sure there have been Die Hard Flathead Ford Lovers out there with the love of all things vintage Ford no doubt since 1929

bowie likes this.
  2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stephen : after rereading your post, I would not sweat the items you mentioned, except maybe the steering wheel and gauges ; having not seen them. On another note, Stogy’s cool machine I see as about 1958... as a repowered(think 265”or 283”) flatty rod. Any of the above is just my humble opinion!

Stogy likes this.
  3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy: I was hunting and pecking while you posted, LOL. Rod on!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't sweat the items that disqualify The Ole Hotrod as full on Period Correct, Traditional 1962 but I know I will keep out of the Traditional Forum and not pass it off as such...It's an ethical decision...You can't see my Pertronics or TH350 but I know its there...there are other details as well...

One big detail not discussed here is the Hamb was reconfigured somewhat and Subdivided and there has been some issues adjusting to that format...see it a lot even today...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    bowie likes this.
  5. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I thought someone might call me out on my gas cap. I think after hearing some critiques I'm going to be sticking to Traditionally inspired. Mostly because some of the things about my car you've pointed out are the things I like the most about it (headlights, grill, and wheels). I think if I was going to do a period correct build I would start from scratch and probably do a 1932 coupe. Thanks again for the input.

elgringo71 and Stogy like this.
  6. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

WOW! Here I'm trying to keep it short but I guess that's not necessary. Good, because I can also get long winded. I just want to thank you for all your suggestions and information. I agree with you about just being Traditionally Inspired mostly because I would have to change to many things and I really like a lot of the things I would have to change. Now that I've entered the Hot Rod World I can see myself building a Traditional car while enjoying the car I have. I think that is the best route to take. Also check out my comment to Bowie. It's similar to this one but with a couple more details. Looking forward to reading more from you on the H.A.M.B. Good luck with all you do.

7. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks for the interesting conversation and info. So far I'm glad I joined. Looking forward to more in the future.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Long winded that's typical of trying to explain the dynamics of a fairly diversified subject and timeframe.

Here's a bunch of lower profile Hotrods...a number are racers most not as low but pretty low and influential to many who witnessed it...note there is no A Sedans...Coupes and Roadsters were more sought over sedans...doesn't mean there weren't any just most preferred the other models...another highlight of your Hotrod is the Axle forward...a few below share that feature...the pics below are all post WWII and fwd to the early to mid sixties...

I'm still looking for the Sedans...there are some...why are there few photos of them...perhaps they were overlooked...

I truly believe many Photographers captured content that was deemed important...many were overlooked but when I find things that help understand and back up claims it matters

203b80d6ed1b3b729c25f25324fa11a4.jpg

11083629_970800052954482_3470135593618278307_n.jpg 10593015.jpg

otto_erotic___BuE3YMahXXG___.jpeg

16996359_1495279683839847_4456541318817064759_n.jpg
    a_Randy_Shinn_And_Si_Westbrook.jpg

sleepy-hollow-147.jpg

dcd07a9420baa52bfb2fa03512a4512a.jpg

56.jpg

12599343_512731865575740_1080894146_n.jpg
    1136sr-23-o-saratoga-automobile-museum-33-ford.jpg

10606010.jpg

oldphoto_hotrod_ds2guys.jpg

ModifiedOnStartingLine.jpg

Credit to Photographer's, Owner's

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stephen these are another collection of potential influences for the Go Low Movement again somewhat of a lack of Sedans but they were there, again perhaps not as popular...The Street and Race movements were either connected and or influenced one another and then there was Magazines and People Influence...Many today still give some of these a fail or very little relevance and argue about the Traditional Relation...that's the way life is...conform or your not in...I often wonder was it as nasty back then as it is now...At the very least it was influential and period to whatever period it was and as you can see many are dated...

800px-Al-dave-tarkanyi-1932-ford3.jpg

aefhadhs.jpg

:rolleyes:...Very important Pic...it captures a History and it is perhaps a bit higher but not by much...This is why I say Pics or it didn't happen...;)

10861040_1514115152181722_2873339202163021143_o.jpg

:rolleyes:...This may be a Bantam but it is very low and has axle well forward and again influence is a gradual thing and then Influences are also part of creative minds...I have the Old Car, the Old Tools, and my garage and some little mags...;)

tumblr_onr7yu2I3F1s61paro1_1280.jpg

96cb47b9b99f04603245309ce03ae01f.jpg

carros-mais-antigos-ford-modelo-t.jpg

1e25bea3f66a9a1a3d006d3042f18f51o.jpg

600-WD-1461.jpg

:rolleyes:...this pic always freaks me out...that is one who plays to another tune...:D
    I don't think its Photoshopped and trust me there are plenty that could...I just don't think it is...

742Roadster.jpg~original.jpe

1930-Ford-Model-A-Roadster-Front.jpg

1932 Ford Vicky_ Vulcans CC_ 1950s.jpg

379636a98f4664d9d9a37a67c18c4a3b.jpg

CeRVPVJWEAUqz-U.jpg

:rolleyes:...This isn't an old build I assume but @bowie was talking Rims...Chromed reverse and Bias Plys are pretty hard to beat and bump up the Period and cover perhaps 55-65...They may even be older...Assuming again...

davemeyerx_zpsd28cff86.jpg

Ray-brown-1927-ford-roadster-lakester5.jpg

vintage-drag-racing-vintage-drag-s-gasser-s-carzz_295706.jpg

I still haven't found that sedan pic yet...:)

Credit to Photographer's, Owner's

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks for the great photos they're awesome. At least I saw you found 3 sedans. Maybe it was like when we were young and nobody wanted 4 doors or station wagons but now anything old is cool or almost anything. It also lets people who can't afford the most desirable models to get involved in the hobby/sport. It's all fun and we don't want to loose sight of that.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it's all fun but there are guidelines and if it hasn't been some like to sell it as fact when it isn't but I like to research the history and find plausible connections so I always appreciate the pics such as this group in a post containing some very low riding Hamb Period offerings...this Coupe I believe is a Canadian Hotrod really close to the profile you are running with your sedan...

SamKrizan30Coupe.jpg

Check this post below in Homogenized thread which contains the one above and a few others...again not sedans but really giving evidence that it was a part of the big picture and looking very cool doing it...;)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-70#post-12635428

J.Ukrop likes this.
  13. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Those are great photos on that post. Some of those do have the same stance as mine. Very inspiring. Thanks.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Historically speaking there was an evolution in the big picture to get where we are today and I do believe go fast, barnstorming and innovation has been around the clock since the first wheels hit the dirt...

Here's a link to a post below and it illustrates something different...Note #14 (2nd from left) it's darn near skirting the Ground while all the others were in the Mile High Club...:D...ALL those people there including the Racers AND their Owners were seeing what I'm seeing and perhaps #14 outperformed the others creating a possible departure towards the lower slung style as it had advantages...How many people went home dreaming of their Speed Hero's at the Track and how they won the race...And this played out across All Types of Auto Racing...This of course was before the Model A and Hotrodding in the Pre and Post WWII era but I suspect it was knowledge and inspiration that possibly influenced the Big Picture...Again I'm not a scholar in all things Hotrod but this is more or less how Traditional comes to be...I See, I Like, I Do AND I Spread the Gospel...Sometimes Forcefully...It's All very interesting...There was Big Money in this...I think this was Vancouver, Canada

VancouverRacing_LF.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-70#post-12647373

What connection does this have to Your Hotrod...well it was the evolution of Ground hugging racing which was something that has been entrenched in the Big Picture since very early days and it of course became something in the minds of those racing whether on the street or at the track...

Just a far reach into a mystifying subject that has vast amounts of History, Grey Areas and Speculation​

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    elgringo71 likes this.
  15. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Looks very exciting. I've always had low cars my whole life. All from the mid 60s. My Sedan is a whole new world. It's everything I've ever wanted and more. Having a blast with it. Put some vintage 1929 license plates on it today. I looks way better with them than the shinny new plate I had on it. Looking forward to this winter to start making it my own. But for now while the weather holds out I'll be driving it as much as possible.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still a few days of fine daytime to take in the fall colors which are just peaking here...

20191009_232227.jpg

Have fun taking in what's left of the warmer days...;)

17. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome fellas.

@Stogy, you're somethin' else!

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man this Stephen has had me diggen in the archives...but I like that...just wish there was a quicker method...120 page threads have alot of stuff to sift through...:D

19. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Like your plate and everything else of course.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a Vanity Plate...I wanted to run Old plates but YOM in my opinion doesn't jive with a car that's representative of 1962...it's a compromise to us and then you have to buy the plate restore and the pay $250...I said screw it...but I did manage to get a neat slogan...makes one smile...

21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Here in the Free State of N.H. I didn't have to restore them and to run them is free plus any car over 60 years old doesn't need an inspection sticker.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So Stephen no ones kicked us out yet so it's time to explore...I just want to say as pleasant as this has been some of the membership can be pretty vocal in a negative way but I focus on the positive like @Shutter Speed and so many others...this is one incredible resource and place to hang out...and that sedan and I'm thinking of another now both were rear fendered at least had the top of the fender in line or a wee bit into the window sill at the bottom...I will locate them and post them as I find them...and give you a heads up...

By the way you may have figured it out already...if you put one of these @ in front of a screename that member gets an alert...;)

Have fun next thing you know you'll be a Custom Guy...

Just for an introduction to an interesting Custom build underway check out this build...incredible...this fella is a Tattoo Artist self learned in Custom building

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-member-watch-me-section-my-desoto.1024562/

Myself I enjoy all Hotrod/Custom/Race from the Simple understated to Complex finessed perfection...all Brands...

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still YOM though correct...you can't run a 59 plate on your 29 is what I'm saying.

24. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

No you can't but I knew what you meant. I was just speaking for myself.

41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  25. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

@Stogy So I guess I just got the "I Like It A lot" trophy. I didn't even know about these trophies. I'm learning more all the time here. Also just thought I'd try the @ symbol just for kicks. Thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never even checked that out...:D

I see I have 113 I think that's the limit...never knew I could read about them...:eek:

There's alot built into the Hamb interface and I am computer literate but so much to know...:confused:...or is that TOO much to know...:D

Have fun Steve...it that okay for short or is Steph preferred or neither?

Oh the Symbol...yes it does and did work, some just post a Hambers Handle with the @ just to alert them to something they want them to see...I've called a few members tonight in the thread here to give them a heads up and a thank you at the same time...it's a form of respect and comradery...

I don't answer back right away always, but will acknowledge as I'm interested in what was being discussed or shared...

By the way so many builds underway at so many levels of expertise...truly inspiring, I follow many and miss some to as this place is huge...

Here's a Big One...Become an Alliance Member and you can get a Alliance Tag with your Name...some literature and you also get discounts with Any of the numerous Alliance Vendors including the Hamb's Store...

Your discount on a set of www would cover your membership

Yes Lots to see...

Pic time...

0_20191008_181752.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Shutter Speed likes this.
  27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    Debating on selling this… unsure what a solid vintage drag car is even worth… needs work but it’s def not like most 55’s I’ve seen. With title

28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It’s exact worth is what you are willing to sell it for and what someone will pay you for it.
    THAT’S what it is worth.

Posting that question on here will give you no guidance with 100 different opinions.

This is a discussion thread not a fishing for a price opinions thread that is 2-1/2 years old completely different subject….

Post it for sale with a price……

29. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Stephen Barrett.
    Glad to see you have surfaced again.
    I followed the 17 pages of the thread you started, titled,
    "I noticed this last night ", but you never finished it, so I am curious how all of that played out with the heads from "H&H"

Thanks from Dennis.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022