Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Driving at night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 5, 2019.

1. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I sometimes wear a pair of glasses with the yellow lenses and the side panels. It makes the environment a little lighter and takes care of some of the glare, but not all of it. They give you a jaundice looking piss complected view but it does help. You can pick them up for $20 or less. The last pair I got was less than $2 on an Amazon clearance page. Give them a shot. It cost more than that to go to the zoo and watch monkeys fornicate and throw feces at you.

2. I used to be nearsighted but with age I've become far sighted. Don't need glasses to see far away any more but I need reading glasses. Have no problems at night [yet] and my old coupe has all flat glass but I've not experienced the house of mirrors effect. Maybe I'm just lucky.

3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Also with cataract surgery they correct your vision the only thing that I need glasses for is reading. I am 20-20 for distance vision now

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Hate the new bright blue headlights! I know I'm getting old but these lights are blinding to me.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  5. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I've got halogens in the Poncho - it has better lighting than both my modern dd's and the latest one has the fancy led headlight. If I'm gonna be driving at night I prefer to run with it. Did have lasek done 17 years ago and still good for driving but damn where did I leave them stupid reading glasses!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fight back.ive used cibie lens and used the new brighter bulb.s.my issue is the headlights (38 chev pu)are 15" in from the edge of the truck..could be mistaken for an electraglide at night.will be fitting small bright running lights at the front edges.at the rear I have bed roll indicators with taillights/indicators at the outer edges.have 2 extra reflectors not fitted yet.IMO keeping the lights far apart give you more presence on the road at night

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  7. mountainman2

mountainman2

I had the EXACT same scenario this spring/summer with the same end results. :D

8. As far as the reflections, house of mirror is how Rocky described it, I never noticed it as bad in my 1940 sedan, it too has flat glass and the only thing I can contribute it to is the glass is slanted and not straight up and down. HRP

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thing about reflections on vertical flat glass. Interesting. Makes me think maybe not having such an early hot rod is not all bad.
    ... Just mostly bad. LOL

It's pretty dark out here at night, and the deer are thick... sometimes 50 to 100 in a herd leaping across the road. Beautiful but dangerous. I've taken to rarely driving faster than 25 mph. Makes no difference... THEY ran into ME! Bam... right into the driver's door. Oh... hello.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Don’t understand why but my noisy flathead clears the road at night of deer.
    Must be because it’s a different sound they don’t normally hear.
    The ahooga really makes them move out of the way. Seen them jump straight up in the air after hitting the horn.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL... That's funny, Petejoe. We have pet deer, and I think you're right... unusual noises will definitely startle them.
    Unfortunately, Judy's Prius makes no sound at all... LOL.

12. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

greetings Magnet!...I gotta tell you that as a younger single man I would have LOVED to do some night driving with the girl in your avitar!

13. X-cpe

X-cpe

The state of Maryland took headlight aim out of the state inspection procedure a year or so ago.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

When I lived in Texas they had headlight adjustment on the inspection requirements. Noted that when a woman brought a car in for inspection to the Kingwood Exxon station they always charged them for a head light adjustment but never pulled that on a man getting an inspection.

15. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I had a guy in a jacked up truck tailgate me last night until I pulled in my driveway, he had those bright headlight that reflected so much light inside my coupe I could have read my mail in the seat beside me.

I tool my hat off and hung it on the rear view mirror.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Remember adjusting the rear view mirror (one that doesn’t tilt to dim the lights) so their headlights reflect directly into the offenders eyes??
    Always worked great.

17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Sometimes I jump outta my skin when something flashes on my flat glass passenger door, thinking I’m gonna get t-boned.....

19. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I have had the same thing happen to me.

osage orange, Hnstray, nochop and 2 others like this.
  20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( As far as night driving goes.I don`t do it unless totally necessary.Just too many pill popping dope smokers around this area.Had the cataract surgery two years ago this month.Worked out VERY well.Had the implants done too at the same time.Can now read a license tag from 75 ft or more away without glasses.With glasses somewhat farther.
    Need readers though.
    Will be 74 at the end of this month.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

My main concern at night are the deer.

22. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I don't mean to scare you, but don't get to feeling too safe during the daytime. Two of the 3 deer I have hit have been during daylight hours at less than 30 mph. All three have been where the woods were right up against the road on one or both sides. When a deer comes full tilt out of the woods onto the road in front of you or into you there is just nothing you can do. Just never let your guard down.... night or day.

ladyhrp, Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. jim snow

jim snow

Although driving at night is more difficult. I find that my biggest concern in the coupe is the tiny square tail lights that the person behind me won’t even see till it’s to late. Snowman

24. 2935ford

2935ford

I avoid best I can any night driving......Hot Rod or not.....those new blue lights are blinding to me! :)

25. I have been fortunate in avoiding deer a couple of times but I have hit a turkey early one morning and I broke the grille in my 40 Ford Convertible when I hit a big racoon that ran out in front of me. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Come on, Danny... tell the whole story.
    For those of you who hadn't heard, he hit the turkey on Thanksgiving morning. But he got even by deep frying a couple of his kin later that day.
    LOL

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

King ford, HOTRODPRIMER and ladyhrp like this.
  28. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

You have a pretty good memory but Danny didn't deep fry them, he smoked them.

Rickybop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Rick, I can assure you I have never deep friend any of my relatives. o_O HRP

Petejoe and Rickybop like this.
  30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

led s are the way to go be safe be seen

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.