Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

2. Yanked the carby again and this time I completely disassembled the carb, used spray carb cleaner and compressed air to completely clean it and reassembled it, checking the float level. Cleaned all secondary wiring connections, screwed in a fresh set of NGKs and set the gap at 0.040 instead of 0.035. Cleaned all the contacts in the cap and cleaned cap and rotor. Fiddled with fuel pressure, adjusted idle mix and the corny early AFB air idle valve and went for a ride....still seems fat but no more bucking and flames out the carb.....pulls strong with the secondarys working now. Exhaust note sounds crisp after the engine warms up.
    I ordered a new Mallory unilite cap and rotor. I think it's gonna be ok now.

3. did you check the timing?

loudbang likes this.
  4. carbking

carbking

Rocky - the idle air bleed system can be difficult to adjust with today's fuel.

There should be a dimple on the lower body where a conventional curb idle screw would be located. Drill through the dimple with a number 21 drill; then tap for a 10x32 machine screw. Now add a conventional curb idle screw and spring from an AFB with the conventional idle setup. Bottom the idle air screw (assuming you have a conventional camshaft).

In the "for what its worth" category, the idle air bleed was a requirement from GM, NOT a Carter requirement.

And the idle air bleed (after the above-mentioned modification) is exceptionally useful with a big cam; as it is a controlled, adjustable air bleed. Think of the holes often drilled, and redrilled, and redrilled (until they are too large ;) ) in throttle plates to help the idle with a big cam. That screw will eliminate the need for drilling.

Jon.

XXL__, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  5. I added a switch on my dash going to the coil to turn off just for that reason Rocky.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

alfin32, exterminator, brEad and 6 others like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Rocky changing out of his track gears. I think he got second for the Yahoo Cup.

brEad, lothiandon1940, Tim and 3 others like this.
  8. Yup....yanked out the 2.71 road gears and swapped in a pair of 4.62s for the track. This week I'll swap in a pair of 3.54s for all around driving. Those 2.71 howl LOUD at about 75mph on the hiway! I got home early afternoon and my ears are still ringing..
    Thanks for the photos! That's me and Fatasswhitewalls leaning and looking.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Stephen Barrett, alfin32, bct and 9 others like this.
  10. I've been slowly buying just the right wheels for the car. While I like the Chrysler wires, I don't love them. I love American torque thrusts. Not the new ones, the old originals.
    Two weeks ago I was able to score the front runners, a pair of old 14X6's. Now, to be accurate, these are not real Americans. They're old J.A. Pans. Cast in Japan, many outlets sold these wheels. Mine were sold as Appliance brand wheels..I'll have to buy a pair of chevy bolt pattern rotors from Speedway to mount them but they just barely clear my metric calipers.
    I was able to find new 14" tires and ordered then yesterday. I took off the genuine plastic center caps [with a big "A" on them] with all but one last screw coming loose after soaking a week in PB Blaster. I had to heat the aluminum around the screw before it finally came loose. I'll glass bead the centers and polish the lip areas.
    Rears are real, live American torque thrust in 8.5X15 with the right amount of offset to clear the inner fenders. I'll mount them all up over the winter.
    I'll keep the wire wheels to change up the look when I feel like it. One of my front wire wheels is bent but I have a good, straight replacement coming to replace it. I'll have to have it sand blasted [it's rusty chrome] and powder coated to match the other 3 .
    Behold the new wheels! 34Americansfronts.jpg 34Americans.jpg

UNCLECHET, Tuck, 31hotrodguy and 15 others like this.
  11. Looking good, Rocky!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Love those wheels, I ran the same style and size big and littles on my old Plymouth with Radirs on the back and Cokers on the front

curbspeed, loudbang and Tim like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Heck yeah! Still messing with the steelies as well?

loudbang likes this.
  14. hasty

hasty

Your car looks great but these will really look the part

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  15. I have always love the look of the simple cast and painted 5 spokes, I honestly believe they are the best looking hot rod wheel ever.

I like your wires but these just scream hot rod! HRP

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Torq Thrusts = race car.

-Abone.

raven, bchctybob, 31hotrodguy and 3 others like this.
  17. Yeah, Tim....they're kinda back-burner but I'm still working on them. Trying to figure out how to put 40-48 ford caps on the IHC wheels ....the caps are just a leetle too big. Maybe a quick file job on the "bumps" would do it, I dunno.

loudbang and HOTFR8 like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah, I’m sure there’s some wiggle room on the wheel and the cap to make it work some how.

Excited to see it on the 5 spokes. I think it’ll look bitchin. I made sure the A and the 46 had the same bolt pattern so I could swap wheels and tires around between the two. Though chrome reverse probably look cooler on the A than 35 wires would on the 46 lol.

loudbang likes this.
  19. 1932tub

1932tub

I have 46 caps on IHC wheels on my Roadster, it was only a matter of going around the inner rim of the cap and dressing it slightly with a hammer.
    Classic Cover Roadster.jpg

exterminator, loudbang, brEad and 3 others like this.
  20. can't go wrong with a TTO wheel.. had them on my 56 Nomad and 62 Bonneville Wagon.. 15x7 & 15x8.. I have a set of big Ford bolt pattern Ansen 5 spokes for my 36 if I need a more Hot Rod look than Kustom.. LOL:D .. car looks great...I would love to have a set of magnesium 5 spoke .. but those are out my price range..

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh idea!

I have wheel Smith 40-8 ford style wheels on the 46 right now and stock/ wheel vintique caps fit so damn tight you can’t hardly get them off. So wheel smith sells caps for their wheels, I bet they’d fit your ihc wheels. Speedway stocks them I believe and they look just like the ford options

loudbang likes this.
  22. Hmmm...may have to look into that, Tim. Thanks

loudbang and Tim like this.
  23. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

1A8F6C77-B793-476C-BF04-378AB2D4C94C.jpeg 2FB75A6A-4E38-45F3-A28F-B67D1B90C5F1.jpeg 1EA4D033-1CCD-4FDB-A2E3-0DACF7DC89C0.jpeg D101BA13-FF64-4378-9CE2-E59B0CCED6E3.jpeg Liking your choice in wheels for your 2nd set I’m running the same

24. Cool.....

loudbang likes this.
  25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Can’t wait to see this-!!

loudbang likes this.
  26. SUCCESS! Today I cruised down to Speedway Motors in lincoln to blow some of my Christmas cash on a pair of Chevy bolt-pattern front rotors for the coupe. I did it so I could bolt up my front faux Americans because they're 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern.
    This also gave the opportunity to see if my repairs on my wallowed-out holes in my rear Americans was ok. I had a nagging feeling the wheels wouldn't bolt up after I sleeved the holes. [Drumroll...] I was able to install all 5 lugnuts with a 3/8ths ratchet and a 13/16ths spark plug socket. Yeah, they were snug but that's a good thang......
    After the mag wheel "expert" that comes around to the dealerships to repair aluminum wheels told me to "just throw 'em away." I spent more than I should for these wheels and then found the egged-out holes so to say I'm happy is a massive understatement.....
    Look! 34American12_19.jpg

GordonC, 47ragtop, brEad and 7 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hell yeah rocky!

28. Rocky - ran into Art H at the bank today over lunch and had a nice chat catching up after almost 30 years. Started sharing pics and talking about what he's been doing lately with his Buick, then the conversation turned to your '34 and I replied "Art, I've been following it on the HAMB for quite a while now." Good to know he's still got some enthusiasm - will have to start going to the Friday night cruises at Don and Millie's this spring.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Al...
    Art and my coupes at the Don and Millie's cruise night. You need to come down for some fun and food. 34andartsbuick2.jpg

47ragtop, brEad, 31hotrodguy and 4 others like this.