Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features T roadster gow jobs.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by David Mazza, Sep 19, 2019.

1. flyin-t

flyin-t

Gabby in his first Chevy, front half of a touring. Later, the last car he built was another Chev touring. Featured in one of the hop up's.

fullsizeoutput_365d.jpeg

2. flyin-t

flyin-t

Thought this pic was interesting. From a magazine article on Gabby, he's the one with the sailor's cap(3rd from left), I like that they placed the spare tire on their homemade cart, just like the Gow's ran.
    fullsizeoutput_365e.jpeg DE0DF00D-7ABA-48F1-893F-804B96C79EBD.jpeg

Stogy, Outback, Lil'Alb and 11 others like this.
  3. These are awesome photographs, and accompanying stories and history. Since joining the HAMB, I have learned more about this lifestyle than I ever thought I would. When someone used to say "hotrod" I would think 1st gen Camaro's, or other typical muscle cars. I'm so thankful I found you guys! I am reborn!

P.S. I have changed my computer wallpaper about seven times going through this thread.

Mike

4. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"la cucaracha"--so named by a sheriff in mexico...one of the prettiest Ts ever!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]Like the looks of this one, is that a Chevy frame under it? Bob

Outback, Lil'Alb, gsnort and 6 others like this.
  6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Cool car, but emphatically NOT a gow job.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. flyin-t

flyin-t

IDK? Dodge or Chevy would be my guess, but I don't think either of those has a big kick up like that one has in the front. Of course that could have been done by the owner.

Outback and exterminator like this.
  8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Didn't I read once that sometimes fellows would reverse the frame rails to put the kick-up in the front, then use Ford crossmembers?

Outback likes this.
  9. David Mazza

David Mazza

The idea of using a mopar early flat six is an excellent idea. Chrysler dodge and Plymouth all had excellent engineering. They were very straightforward and robust cars. Also they had some speed equipment available that I believe fit the earlier engines. Oh and they were open drive so that does make building out a chassis and choice of rear axle a little more flexible. Even cooler would be a Chrysler straight eight. Just be careful not to allow the proportions get to the point of a odd ball ratrod!

Outback and Bigcheese327 like this.
  10. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Yeah. I was a member of the LBMTC as a kid. Ed Gathman was editor of the Magneto News when I was a member. Like you said, they were typewritten by hand and crudely printed., but, that's how you did things back then!

Spent a lot of time at Bill and Mike LaRosa's place. I remember the long line of banger engines from stock to DOHC, the two great sprint cars, loads of Buddy L toy trucks and piles of Model As and parts. Are they still around? There was another guy Joe Leonardo that would hang out there all the time. He had a stock looking A pickup with a Crager in it. A lot of the "original " old SoCal race drivers were still alive at the time and many of them had old cars. They would always be at LaRosa's place. They used to host a fund raising event there called "Gilmore Roars Again." The LaRosa's would host regular movie night and old racers would watch the old "racey" movies that had them it in when they were younger. They would yell out each others names when they appeared on the screen. Paul McGinnis (who taught me how to drive at Model T when I was 13) was always there as well as Herb Bramley, etc etc Interestingly, I saw Paul's old blue Crager sprint car offered recently at a Mecum Auction. That was a great bunch of people.

Great memories of great times. I was lucky to be a part of it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  11. flyin-t

flyin-t

WOW! Awesome memories.

12. Loving this thread! Thanks to all for posting the great pics and stories.
    I have dreams of building one of these cars......I have the remains of an early 20's Overland touring, some early Chevy wire wheels and a '28 Chevy 4. Just need some extra time...
    DSCN0631.JPG

Lil'Alb, gsnort, exterminator and 5 others like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guy, I stopped to see the Bill and Mike LaRosa two or three years ago when I was out to visit our oldest daughter. Bill had the Spirit of Ascot all apart for a total restoration to its early days, RAJO on a T block and Buffalos. When he found it it was as Rajo Jack last ran it. Hot Line was a great newsletter, being on the East Coast it was my only link to vintage Four Banger stuff. Minor correction, Joe Leonardo had a Crager powered AA Screenside, that was featured in Old Cars Illustrated. That was a great magazine Neal East published that featured a lot of early California cars. Bob

GZ and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. flyin-t

flyin-t

I think I remember that screen side AA! If it’s the one I’m thinking of my dad pointed out to me the rare wire wheels on it rather than the standard steel wheels. This was probably in the early 70s but I don’t recall where? Maybe Father’s Day, IDK. Once we were at a swap meet and a guy had a AA with the express bed but had the roadster pick up cab. I know they did orchard trucks like that too but it was unbelievably cool. I’d kinda like to have something like that now....be cool to haul grand kids around in.

15. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Bob- Good to hear that Bill and Mike are still around. They are such great guys. I remember they used to have chickens in their backyard and would give me eggs to bring home to my parents. Growing up in LA, seeing chickens producing eggs was quite a thing for a city kid!!! I remember the AA screenside. That was quite a truck. Leonardo also had a "beater" 30-31 pickup with a Crager.

That area was densely packed with great cars of all types -lots of brass era, hotrods, Model Ts, racing, etc. etc. My 1912 T came from that neighborhood.

Great to reminisce My only regret was we did not have digital photography back then to capture these moments. With all of my moving, my "real" picture collection has been lost or minimized to hardly nothing.

RyanPartridge and flyin-t like this.
  16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What he said!! What an unbelievably cool time.

17. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

found a good chassis for this project should be plenty of room for the straight six i saved IMG_2844.jpg

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like that, do you need doors? If I knew the measurements I could look around at Hershey. Bob

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  19. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

i have the drivers side its in rough shape . I found a guy out west that says he has roadster doors but have not connected.I will send you a dm with dimensions and contact information.thanks

The37Kid and Bigcheese327 like this.
  20. Hank56

Hank56
    from NC

7A2510E2-086B-4CFE-8FE4-8BF3471A09FA.jpeg Great thread! Some great cars posted already...here’s my 26 T RPU on a 31 A chassis...banger motor with model B carb...

21. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Another cool random pic I found recently.

22. flyin-t

flyin-t

Got the shop finished, now to start on the new gow. fullsizeoutput_366e.jpeg

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

@flyin-t built one of the neatest neo-gows. Nowadays, I believe it's set up as a snowmobile and has appeared in a number of pics of The Frozen Few (the underground motorcycle race put on by the organizers of The Race of Gentlemen).

1926 Rich Turner flyin-t touring Hop Up IV 01.jpg
    1926 Rich Turner flyin-t touring Hop Up IV 02.jpg
    1926 Ford touring car snowmobile.JPG

Lil'Alb, modelacrazy, gsnort and 8 others like this.
  24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

25. flyin-t

flyin-t

Thanks! My wife recently told me that of all the cars I've had that this was her favorite. I thought she was kidding but she liked it.

The car @GARY? put together is one of my favorites, if I were to do another roadster I'd want it to be just like his...maybe with '32 18 inch wheels, but that's a minor thing.

Put's smile on my face when I see my old T being used in it's new life. What a BLAST!

Frozen Few T.jpg 12748164_510443825795199_1920392230_n.jpg

Stogy, Outback, gsnort and 5 others like this.
  26. Bigcheese327 likes this.
  27. David Mazza

David Mazza

01AEC8D3-F903-48B4-B2F9-36196634A97B.jpeg Im building a very similar car to the Gary? roadster but with some differences to make it my own. My roadster body is in a crate on its way to its new home! This car was also built by a hamber and also went overseas! I love that touring and love it more without the snow flyer attachment but it does look fun!

modelacrazy, gsnort, alfin32 and 4 others like this.
  28. David Mazza

David Mazza

I actually have something to start showing you guys! 604EE3A2-C62F-4F04-9044-E636370303B6.jpeg 7C836EB2-1766-43CB-ADB5-C62C8D8AEE80.jpeg 6BD0A850-DF65-4971-A1D0-67582364DD6C.png

Stogy, Outback, Jet96 and 17 others like this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

A axles work with T perches and wishbones?

30. guitarguy

guitarguy

Yup, it was interesting to find David and I were doing almost the same idea and yet we hadnt talked previously about it. It's ALMOST a direct bolt in.

Here is an early shot of mine....

[​IMG]

Stogy, gsnort, Shadow Creek and 4 others like this.