Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A rather obvious method to add holes in thick rubber or webbing. Take a piece of tubing and grind a sharp edge on it and use your press to punch it out. A heavy duty vise will also work.
    IMG_5992.JPG

pila38, LAROKE, rpm56 and 6 others like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hammer on a piece of wood will work good too. I actually have a set of those, my Dad gave me. He called them “ hole cutters” .

Bones

3. Grimpala

Grimpala
    from DFW

When I've had to cut a hole like this and I couldn't back the piece up with wood/metal I chucked the hole cutter up in the drill and spun it just like a hole saw. Works great.

4. nobby

nobby

king pin bushing reaming

prefect20, Joemama, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. I can't count the number of times I have had to ream stuff out with Emory paper. Takes time but sure is a lot cheaper than a reamer, especially when they are hard to come by.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Same

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and clem like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

Always wear pants when working in the shop.:D

Chavezk21, redzula, Six Ball and 7 others like this.
  8. Funny, long while back my steel supplier send me a batch of miss-cut 3x4.1 channel cross sills for a block bed we were building, he didn't want them back, turned out to be just right amount of steel for the floor joists and beams for a deck I wanted to build; not MIG tho, stick welded.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. clem

clem

king pin bushing reaming[/QUOTE]

I’ve always just wrapped a piece of emery paper around a drill bit (in a drill) and done it that way.
    Never did have much patience......

rpm56 and loudbang like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I say now @RICH B , you will notice ole man that I said "most", as in non-inclusive, and evidently that, dear sir, applies to you. Bully! Now then, where did I place my bourbon?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

This simple A frame rack kept the body parts from being damaged and also saved valuable space in the garage. Next time I will use larger diameter swivel casters on all 4 corners
    IMG_0650.JPG

Rowdy69, brEad, Chavezk21 and 15 others like this.
  12. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Great idea
    I also have a lead block about 6" round and 3/4" thick that I use for a dolly when I'm punching holes,,
    After punching heaps of holes on both sides, I drop it in to a tin an melt it down an start again with a good flat block,

13. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Specially when the power meter reader turns up

loudbang likes this.
  14. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Don’t think, I’ll be just grinding on this a few seconds so I’ll be fine in shorts and flip flops. Sparks burn on the feet!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I did some pipeline welding , think about laying on your back stick welding pipe , the slag dripping off and burning through your overalls , pants and into your junk . That is a real bad day and , you will be sure you use a blanket from that day forward. Just think about the company accident report and the company nurse inspecting the injury . WTH !

16. Ben38

Ben38
    from Minnesota

I got in trouble last weekend thinking that way when I thought I could get by grinding with just safety glasses instead of a face shield

loudbang, slack and 65pacecar like this.
  17. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use Posi-Locks for wire connections that may need to come apart in the future. Especially useful for wiring headlights on Model A's where the wires have to come back through the metal looms. https://www.posi-products.com/posilock.html

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And frying bacon!:eek:

19. slack

slack

Also, it messes up your natural night vision as well as electronic.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  20. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

I like using small brass pipe with a petcock at the end. Had to do it for a Yukon. Some drains, especially tri-five chevys can be a real p.i.t.a.
    Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  21. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

I keep these plastic food trays from the Chinese take out shop,,, wash them and use them in the garage,, ideal for nuts ,bolts washers etc,,electrical switches,bulbs and parts,when stripping cars apart you can put all fasteners etc say from L/H fender in one container and the R/H in another,,, an mark me with a sharpie etc etc,, being transparent you can see what's inside without opening,, they stack easily on top of each other,,,, , also good for putting touch up paint in when doing stone chips round the car,,
    So go get yourselves some number 8 (wontons an rice) ,, or number 12 (chow mien)and use the containers IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0160.JPG

waxhead, Legacy'69, Cooon and 2 others like this.
  22. Years ago, I bought a 2 ft fluorescent light, encased in a lexan tube, that runs on 12 volts. It is excellent for working in tight places, and is also an excellent emergency trouble light. It also has hangers so you can hang it from a hood.
    Bob

6-bangertim and loudbang like this.
  23. If you are a person that also does wood work, the sawdust works as well as, if not better than, oil dry for cleaning up oil spills in the shop or on the driveway. If left on a oiled area and stirred and stepped on periodically, it will sometimes remove all traces of the oil.
    I have also found that fine sawdust works extremely well as a hand cleaner, when mixed with dawn detergent and water. I also add soap to the mix, by lathering my hands with the soap before using the mixture.
    Bob

slack and loudbang like this.
  24. When drilling into a piece of metal, or drilling a blind hole, where you don't want the chips to fall through to the other side, apply grease to the drill bit. The metal chips will stick to the grease.
    Bob

25. Talking about wearing long pants in the shop--every time I have injured myself working on a car or doing woodworking, I was doing something I knew better than to do.

26. This may have been mentioned before, but eyeglasses will NOT keep chips and trash out of your eyes. In fact, I think they attract them. After having to go to the eye doc to have splinters of metal dug out of my eye, I started using goggles over my glasses.
    Funny how experience can teach you quicker than a thousand verbal lessons.

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Oh yes, like I have always been told, "Do.as I say, not as I do."

65pacecar likes this.
  28. Drewski

Drewski

When welding up holes, I use a copper backer held by a magnet to prevent blowing a bigger hole.. Cheap magnet from harbor freight, scrap stainless and flattened copper pipe. mag4.jpg mag6.jpg

29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Nice!!!

loudbang likes this.
  30. I use the copper bar and I use magnets to position pieces, but never thought of attaching a magnet to the copper bar. Duh!
    I'm going to be on this tip like a spider on a fly.
    Bob