Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Registration in Georgia

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lake Modified, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

Thanks everyone for your input. I have some ideas how to go about this now. Hopefully will be on the road soon

SM

chopped likes this.
  2. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

You will not get the same answer from 2 different people.I will have the same problem with the 35 Chevy I'm doing now the man I got it from tossed the floor away and with it it had the vin #.But you can get a homebuilt title from Ga.Tag office has the paper work.When I did my Model A from Brookville Fulton Co. had no clue how to do it.Went to another county I had hose in and got one with bill of sale.Good luck dealing with DMV and tag office.

3. chopped

chopped

Request for a replacement serial plate form t-128. Fill and have form notarized, have cop look at car. You're good to go. (at least a couple years ago)

4. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine was home built. It was 20+ years ago, but I remember getting the sheriff's office to come by the house for a quick lookover and recording of the body number. He filled out some paperwork that I took to the tag office. Of course, I don't live in a county that requires emissions testing.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The major problem here is that the body, and frame are completely shop built, with a fabricated frame and a shop built fiberglass body designed and built by the OP to resemble the old CRA track roadsters of the 40s & 50s. There is no body number and there never has been!
    What Scott needs to avoid if at all possible is for this car to be registered under the home built rules that call for the car to be assigned the year of completion as the model year. This would then bring a title requirement and an emissions requirement corresponding to a new vehicle of that same year.
    An assignment of a model year that is the same as the engine, 1981, would work if that registration carried a GA assigned serial number. Using the serial number on the engine block could cause things to get complicated if he ever changed engine blocks.
    There is language in the GA laws pertaining to home built cars that resemble a factory built car manufactured in the past and registering the hand built car with that model year and make, and I believe that maybe if Scott installed the turtle deck he already has and maybe some other "T"stuff like a grill shell or something, and then claim a replica of a "T" track roadster for registration.
    His home county does require emissions inspections, but all cars 25 or more years old are exempt anywhere in GA, and can only be registered, not titled.

5window likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

Damn,son! This is far too coherent and useful a post to qualify under the usual "where can I get a title" posts. :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  7. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

Yes it was and a huge help.....