Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 model A steering column/ recess firewall question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coody, Oct 3, 2019.

1. coody

coody

Wish I would have known about this site before starting my project. But replaced firewall with a bitchen 4" recess firewall. Now looking for a column to fit.Every time I mock something up it runs into the recess part. Any ideals on a solution? I don't really want to move the steering column to the left and use a smaller wheel. I really don't want a tilt column. I know the lower mount should be flush with the fire wall. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I don't know what your firewall layout is, but here's what I came up with on my '31. Took a LONG time (and beer) to think outside the box enough to make a recess specifically for the steering column. Maybe it can help you on yours. Made it a left brake, but works out well for burnouts (jk). [​IMG]

OFT likes this.
  3. coody

coody

Yours gives me an ideal. Maybe lower to the toe panel might be a better location. What column are you using?

4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Flaming River 28" tilt (so someone can get in or out if they move the seat forward)

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Does the 4" recess leave room for a gas pedal?

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

7. Best help I can give you is to say there is no "way it should be" once you start carving things up. For me the number one rule about steering is the wheel should be comfortable in my Hands when sitting in the seat. What it takes to get it there is just part of the install job. I never buy or use off the shelf brackets. They are a pain in the Ass and they never put the wheel where you want it. You also don't need a custom bracket to mount the column to the floor or firewall. A billet dash mount would look just Wrong in this Truck. Look close at the Floor mount. It's just a ring of sheetmetal welded to the Jacket and bolted to the Floor pieces. It all covers up with carpet no matter what you use.

20181009_190958.jpg 20181012_110511.jpg

INVISIBLEKID, weps, OFT and 2 others like this.
  8. coody

coody

wizard, I agree on the column drop. Going to make my own. I like your ideals. I was going to install a 38 ford dash but the column hits right into the recess of the firewall.so thinking like t-body using the original dash. Might be able to get the column more to the left to miss the recess. Now need to find a gas tank to cut up. great suggestions guys!!! always helpful

9. I also have a 30 Model A Roadster that I'm installing a 37 Dash in. Number one item for me is to have the column enter the Floor between the 39 pedals. Then Number two is to mount the 40 column with the stock 40 mount in the Stock 37 dash holes with the Column centered between the two gauge holes. These issues were way more important to me than where it exited through the Firewall. Some stuff you just can't let dictate what needs to be done.
    20151023_094207.jpg

Pete Poling and OFT like this.
  10. grdra1

grdra1

I have a similar problem with my coupe, I plan to locate and fabricate steering coloum mount and where it exits the firewall first then continue on with the firewall recess, will post pics of progress. I agree with the Wizzard about getting the coloum right then working around it. Glen P1011242.JPG P1011265.JPG P1011266.JPG P1011269.JPG

OFT likes this.
  11. On a friends '30 5W, he used the outer band of the stock firewall, used flat sheet in the center and the 2 upper corners of the original firewall as a dist recess (SBC). He also used a postal jeep steering column to a Vega steering box, looked and fit perfect. Built the '30 in the late 90's I'll see if I have pics if you want them.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  12. Dirk35

Dirk35

You can make your own column mount pretty easily. I just have a two car garage, welder and torch and have built 4 cars from the ground up out of it so far, so don't think that you need a pro shop. I pretty much make my lower column mounts all the same, but have made the upper column mounts a little differently each time depending on the type of column I used.

Here are the picts of how I did the column on my Model A. I think the previous owner used a beaver to make the hole in the toe-board and they just glued the column in with silicone, so I cut it all out and started over. The hinge is just a hinge from Lowes for a Fence Gate which I cut down. To seal it, I used a car inner tube with a hole cut that is just big enough to stretch it to fit over the column and then it sandwiches between the bracket and the floor. For that 1" tubing that the upper column mounts to (you can see below the dash when you look under the dash but not while sitting in the car), Ill paint it the same color of the dash so you wont be able to see it like you can now while it's in primer. Hope this helps.

1928  Model A Steering column mount 1.jpg 1928  Model A Steering column mount 2.JPG 1928  Model A Steering column mount 3.JPG 1928  Model A Steering column mount 4.JPG 1928  Model A Steering column mount 5.JPG 1928  Model A Steering column mount 6.JPG 1928 Model A Firewall 2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    David Gersic and OFT like this.
  13. coody

coody

Good ideals on the floor & column drops. Now like to find a 70's ford steering column to fit. Thinking 28"s ?

14. Trying to find a Factory unit the correct length is pretty tough most of the time. Find something you like and shorten it to fit. After all, it's just tube. I don't think I've ever not had to do that.

15. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I'm guessing you mean the column wants to go where the recess is. So it's more than a simple round hole through a flat piece like in the F100 shown above. It would have to be a stepped flange. I've also seen a short length of tubing, just a tad bigger diameter than the column, welded to the firewall. The column slips through.

16. grdra1

grdra1

This is what I come up with, Glen P1011303.JPG P1011315.JPG P1011330.JPG P1010010.JPG

kadillackid and OFT like this.
  17. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

This is going to be a major hurdle in my 31 tudor, with the cross over steering and power gear it doesn't play nice with the 440's starter being on the drivers side.

I've had to walk away a couple times and do some other project to keep a sane head.

18. X-cpe

X-cpe

On mine I had to angle the lower end of the column to the left. I found that if you rotate the column toward one or two o'clock the tilt lifts up and to the right (easier getting in and out)and when you pull it down the wheel is square to the seat. Haven't worked out all the logistics yet. Things like getting the turn signals to self cancel when I put the steering wheel straight across but at an angle to its original design.