Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Traditional fuel line?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

What is more traditional. Rubber fuel line or a hard line. I’m deciding wether to use copper line all bent nicely and polished. Or should I use the see through red rubber line. What would you guys have used in the 50s and 60s

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Red "see through" rubber fuel line? That sounds like a really bad idea, that was probably a bad idea back then too. Modern gas is more corrosive too. Somethin', anyway.

Gman0046 likes this.
  3. Boden

Boden

You guys know. This stuff. [​IMG]

4. TimCT

TimCT

There was another long thread on this fairly recently. That 'cool' red stuff gets brittle and cracks pretty quick and gets discolored and ugly even quicker, especially if you're not running a hood and its exposed to UV. Go with hard lines, and black rubber fuel line where you need to account for vibration, like where the hard line connects to fuel pump. I think NHRA rules say no more than 12" of rubber line total, and that's for a good reason. Fire = bad.

Tygon is green/yellow, translucent, and is chemically resistant (though there are a few different versions that have different properties), so it might fit your bill. I use it for all my small engine fuel lines, though I wouldn't put it on my car. I don't ever seem to build anything where fancy fuel lines would look like they belonged, anyway.

5. Boden

Boden

[​IMG] that’s the motor. It will have a weiand intake and 2 deuces pretty soon. I think the motor turned out pretty nice and I don’t really want just plain black rubber line on it.

6. Tetanus

Tetanus

maybe run hard line and then slide some of the red hose over for the look your after?

upspirate likes this.
  7. Boden

Boden

I don’t really care what I use. I just want to use what would be more traditional

8. TimCT

TimCT

As always, it depends on what your definition of traditional is.

For what its worth, I'm planning on bending up a length of NiCopp from the pump to the carb on my SBC. I like the copper look and its super easy to bend and flare and make for a nice clean install. Going to stick with a (traditional) steel line down the frame to the tank.

Sporty45, LTM75110 and Boden like this.
  9. Retrorod

Retrorod

Since copper isn't really a good fuel line we used a copper tube with a stainless steel fuel line shoved inside the copper on my wife's flathead. It looks cool, is strong as hell and is very old school.

10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yep, I thought most all knew this stuff by now.

Copper will get brittle and eventually crack. Some form circles in the tube to act as dampers to let the tube move a little. Not sure I'd trust this either, but to each his/her own.

The steel inside of the copper as noted above is a novel idea. Should work well, just a little larger diameter than normal.

You can buy "modern" synthetic rubber "made for" today's fuel., again it is thicker and more expensive, but should stand up well.
    I'd still replace even that every couple of years.

Mike

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. TimCT

TimCT

There is a lot to be read about using straight copper for a fuel line, but the nickel/copper lines are a different animal, and its fine for fuel line. Though, it is rather soft, so I wouldn't run it into harms way (down the frame) unless it was tucked way up, or behind a gravel shield of some kind.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What are you working on that you are concerned with traditional fuel line with IFS? Just curious.

13. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I'm guessing '49-up ford? Judging by his avatar looks like '53 or so

Bandit Billy and Boden like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Run hard lines to the fuel block bolted to the intake, hard line to the fuel pump. Rubber from the fuel pump to the firewall where it meets hardline and goes to the tank

15. Safety first. Unless it is strictly a show car, forget traditional. Hate to see your build go up in flames with today's fuel.
    I'd use NiCopp for hard lines and Gates Barricade hose for the soft lines.

Gman0046 likes this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Funny you should mention this.
    I ran the red lines for the same reason.
    Until I had quite a few guys in their 80’s come up to me pleading to not use them. They expressed their experience on losing cars and watch others who lost their cars with the red lines.
    I understand now they have a new material for the red lines but haven’t heard any feedback on it.
    Don’t take these chances. Be safe. Not sorry.

Just Gary and Truck64 like this.
  17. Boden

Boden

What do you mean lost their cars? Like caught on fire?

18. Boden

Boden

Yessir. 53 ford custom line tudor[​IMG]

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes caught on fire

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah that shits just a ticking time bomb. That and those clear fuel filters sitting on the intake.

21. Absolutely,,,that stuff cannot be trusted.

Tommy

22. From my memory, traditional fuel line would be steel line with black rubber connector hoses where there was vibration.By the 60's we used the worm clamps on the rubber.

You don't want to draw attention to the fuel line. Use chrome sparingly where you want eyes to see detail.

Phil

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-10-23_3-36-55.png Bones Balogh built SBC APRIL-Oct 1960
    Hello,

As far as traditional goes, it will depend on how far back… “traditional” is listed. In the early days of Lions Dragstrip, the black rubber certified hoses were used, then some racers used the red versions. So, 1960…rubber hoses. Only a few used the metal fixed lines with some flexibility added. But, the street cars with multiple carbs used the black and some used the red ones. The shiny metal lines and clear ones were for show cars and not daily drivers or at least not in the Gas Coupe and Sedan Class cars with carbs.
    upload_2019-10-23_3-37-57.png 1960 Lions Dragstrip Pits
    We built our 292 SBC 671 motor with 6 Strombergs and the black lines were evident. The SBC looked very similar to Bones Balogh’s SBC and the rubber hoses stood out. How can one not notice 6 lines going to 6 carbs on top of the 671? But, if one does not have the funds for a two port Hilborn Injector, then you built something with what you could afford and make it function well.

Besides, people noticed the 6 carbs on top, but the sound of the motor and the newest Isky Gilmer Drive Belt 671 set up was more fun to listen and see in motion. In the pits with the hood up, any time the motor started, it drew a crowd. This was for a street legal car in the Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes. It was not The Sidewinder or Dragmaster race cars.

Jnaki

Those were the fun days. Many years later, (64-69) if that is your traditional era, then there were all kinds of hose set ups as the technology improved at a rapid rate. So, the question always goes back to when does your version of “traditional” start and finish? One word does not mean every year since the beginning of drag racing or hot rods. There were many variations, it just depends on what year and set up.

In our second 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, our 327SBC, four barrel carburetor came with a clear gas line. It looked nice, but was immediately replaced with a red rubber, gas approved line to go with the red motor compartment and the outside paint scheme.
    upload_2019-10-23_3-39-27.png