Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features T roadster gow jobs.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by David Mazza, Sep 19, 2019.

1. guitarguy

guitarguy

As I mentioned to you, but will publicly say here because I feel its the way this hobby was built and should be. I am glad to help out and have any part in your build that I can.

It is a bit entertaining to me that we have three similar era style cars, being built by three guys, living in three connected states 3/4 of an hour apart.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Outback likes this.
  2. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

A few of my future Gow jobs

Attached Files:

3. David Mazza

David Mazza

Guitarguy hits the nail on the head. I couldn’t do this project without him, or bigcheese! To be perfectly honest I’m not capable of doing it all myself and will never claim hey look what I can do. What I can’t do or don’t know I will learn! So if someone ever sees me out someday and becomes interested I will help them build their car, give them parts, and be their friend. I’ve met the best people through old cars!

Bigcheese327 and flyin-t like this.
  4. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

This is a great thread.Will be full on gow for this project even though its mopar mopar.jpg

DylanHill1931, Lil'Alb, bct and 5 others like this.
  5. That ain't no mopar- that's bonafide Dodge Brothers :D

Outback and burl like this.
  6. flyin-t

flyin-t

Few more of the Weiand car and another

3EB6D6C6-B99F-40D1-AF8A-6D1FB0D96D29.jpeg 7B81E1B2-2C16-49A7-97C1-40114DADD3C0.jpeg 0000701F-699D-4273-BD85-F3E1994041FB.jpeg

7. David Mazza

David Mazza

The mopar roadster is cool! Just like a bigger model t. I was always a ford guy, but at this point of my life I like em all! The pic of the weiand roadster lowered with the Franklin axle is awesome! Way up high it is cool but even better lowered and gives some competition to the Aldrich roadster for coolness. That would be a great car to replicate, however it would be hard to find some of the parts.

8. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Does anyone from SoCal/Long Beach (fly'n T?) remember Herb Bramley's roadster? He was an active member of the Long Beach Model T Club and his roadster was a frequent competitor at the LBMTC Shell (Signal) Hill Climb. Herb was a Long Beach fireman and also had a brass T firetruck. His "gow job" was 26-27 roadster based, the body was channeled over the frame and had a shortened T radiator to match, rear exposed gas tank, all Model T running gear with a modified T engine, red wire wheels, Ruckstell, etc. It was painted metallic blue. Anyone know where this car is or have any pictures? I remember drooling over this car as a kid. Last time I saw it was about 35 years ago at the Long Beach Model T swap meet. I remember it vividly...would love to find it....

Outback, The37Kid and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. flyin-t

flyin-t

I sure do remember that car, there's a great shot of it in one of the Vintage Ford mags sitting on the start line. That shot was used for a few of the old flyers for the Hill Climb in the following years printed in the LB club newsletter. Don't know what happened to the car. I use to see Herb in the hardware store my son worked at all the time but that was 10 years ago or so. Super nice guy, retired fireman and was very much involved in the fire museum here on Long Beach.
    I'll have to look for some pics. Not really a gow but a very cool t.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Outback likes this.
  10. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Here are a few pictures of Herb Bramley's roadster taken from old LBMTC Magneto News magazine and Hill Climb programs, wish I had better pictures!

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 9.23.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 9.23.34 PM.png

11. flyin-t

flyin-t

hahaha just did a quick search and found some of my own posts on the T forum I'd forgotten about.
    Herb passed in '17, WWII vet as well.

First pic is from, if I remember correctly, a Hot Rod mag issue in '62 when it was owned by Bill Downs, racing on a track in Brea, Ca.

602154.jpg 602158.jpg 602159.jpg 602162.jpg 602166.jpg 602167.jpg

gsnort, Atwater Mike, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The DB is A-OK with me. That was my original plan before I was given a Model T body: A '23 Dodge Brothers roadster (or possibly a touring with the bustle shortened slightly) on a Miller-style eight-spring suspension and using all 1938 Dodge, De Soto, or Chrysler running gear.

A Maxwell was also a possibility, though I'm not sure how many Jack Benny jokes I could endure.

1923 Dodge Brothers concept art.jpg

Outback, RMR&C and burl like this.
  13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Also, since @burl opened up the non-Ford can of worms, I'm gonna post this Chevy gow from 1932, complete with Muroc ads. Note that it has a three-port Oldsmobile head (they were a bolt-on to the Chevy block since the 1923 Oldsmobile four-cylinder was a long-stroke version of the Chevrolet engine) and a radiator guard similar to the one on the Bob Wilcox Model T.
    Muroc 01.jpg Muroc 02.jpg Muroc 03.jpg

DylanHill1931, Jet96, gsnort and 7 others like this.
  14. flyin-t

flyin-t

[QUOTE="Bigcheese327, post: 13269971, member: 381

A Maxwell was also a possibility, though I'm not sure how many Jack Benny jokes I could endure.

View attachment 4440219 [/QUOTE]

You must be older that I thought you were.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'm 37 (whether that's young or old always depends on who I'm talking to) but I'm also a historian.

Outback, flyin-t and flatheadpete like this.
  16. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

This is awesome I have an early Chrysler straight six I was thinking about using on this project.Thanks for the inspiration

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  17. flyin-t

flyin-t

From where I'm standing, it's young and about the age I thought you might be. You knowing about Benny and his Maxwell jokes threw me off.

18. flyin-t

flyin-t

Me too. When I scanned these I just left them the original size. All the old Mag New's back then I think were mimeograph printed, and the mag is small, the size of the old pocket Rod and Custom mags. The little pic that has Isky in it came from the old 999 Hot Line newsletters that Bill LaRosa put out (a gold mine of info and stories on bangers, and a who's who of the guys building them back then, I was able to buy his last complete collection of them years ago). The pic of the Down's roadster came from a Hot Rod mag, I don't know why it turned out so small, I'll have to go back and find that issue.
    A few of them are from Vintage Ford mags too.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope you can find that T, the Shell Hill Climb was an event I looked forward top reading about every year, you guys were lucky to see it live. Took me 40 years of searching but I did find Crazy Chris' A speedster that I got to ride in as we toured all the collections out there. Can can't be bought, but I know were it is. Great times! Bob

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

15723762_10208330742094591_4209773510498750347_o (2).jpg

Since we're sharing, here's the major chunk of mine. The ultimate goal is what you see in my avatar, heavily influenced by Bob Estes, Gabby Garrison, Robert Hodge, and the Tom McIntire Model A.

Bob Estes 02.jpg
    Bob Estes at Muroc, c. 1930.

02-02-2009 07;03;37PM.JPG
    Gabby Garrison's third roadster with the windshield folded.

Bob Hodge.jpg
    Robert Hodge's car, in its full-fendered, full-bodied guise.

1933 Regg and Dolores Schlemmer Tom McIntire 1931 Ford.jpg Tom McIntire (Don Montgomery spelled it with a "y") Model A.

Outback, Lil'Alb, gsnort and 3 others like this.
  21. flyin-t

flyin-t

He spelled what with a Y?

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

McIntire/McIntyre

23. flyin-t

flyin-t

Seeing my pic of Gabby reminded me of hanging out at his house. In his back yard was a huge shade tree, big mofo. He painted all his cars at home, piece at a time, hanging from the branches of that tree. Dirt, bugs, everything stuck to his paint but he didn't care, he'd just rub it all out. lol
    He called me up once to see if I could come over and help him. When I got there he had his hand bandaged up. I thought he wanted me to take him to the hospital. Nope, he wanted me to look and see if anything was in the wound. He was cleaning his pistol in the kitchen and accidentally shot himself in the hand. Bullet went through the meaty part between the thumb and forefinger, looked ok to me (what the hell did I know?) so we cleaned it up and re-bandaged. He told me he was a fast healer! and we didn't need to go get it stitched up. At his funeral I told his grandson and daughter that story, they'd never heard it.

Tough guy, former Marine, WWII.

24. flyin-t

flyin-t

Isn't that pic from one of Don's books? He spells it with an 'i' in the credit.

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

A similar pic is in one of Don's books and this photo evidently came from his collection, but this one is in the Dean Batchelor book.

Outback and flyin-t like this.
  26. flyin-t

flyin-t

This one has always done for me, I really like the profile.

fullsizeoutput_3652.jpeg

Lil'Alb, gsnort, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  27. flyin-t

flyin-t

Another one of my favorites, the Ralph Schenk car. Chevy powered, chevy frame rails, Dodge body. Built in '36. When I was a kid there was a Vintage Chevy store in Orange County and the owner, Duane Steele, had the remains in the back so I got to see it then. This was in the early 70's. Have no idea what happened to it. fullsizeoutput_3653.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3656.jpeg v

gsnort, Lil'Alb, Shadow Creek and 4 others like this.
  28. flyin-t

flyin-t

When Steele owned the car, from a R&C article on him.

fullsizeoutput_365c.jpeg

gsnort, Lil'Alb, Shadow Creek and 4 others like this.
  29. flyin-t

flyin-t

Nice Chevy touring

fullsizeoutput_365a.jpeg

gsnort, RMR&C, Bigcheese327 and 2 others like this.
  30. flyin-t

flyin-t