Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A picture or it didn't happen!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Dec 4, 2018.

1. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BDD7CCEF-7FED-4187-AE07-8E3E38C2DB86.jpeg Hey LOWUFO ! Don’t know how I missed this the 1st time around... but , most everybody calls me Bowie. Long story about the Alamo tv show , 3 sisters and a 5 year old with a long rubber knife. Anyhow I was kinda born into this hot rod thing , grandpa was a AAA driver with his Fronty T in the late 20’s... my dad bought his $100.00 early ‘30 roadster in 1946. On my mom’s side my grandpa traded his ‘58 Impala 348”w/ 3x2 and OD for a new ‘64 SS Imp. I’ve whored enough of some of my buckboards around here that most are probably sick of seeing em. 1st up is dads “A”, next the ‘64 SS, trusty 3W and finally the Vette. Though I haven’t met you guys; I do feel like I am freinds (or would be) with quite a few of you! C5395AD2-2138-4446-A68A-62F8EE1E2FB9.jpeg B5BC2D9F-85E1-4C68-B996-153FB644619E.jpeg 69ADA7BE-DAB0-455A-85A7-5BAAC1F9E128.jpeg

2. Not sure how I missed this thread either... I am Jeff Smith from Oklahoma and have been in this car hobby since I got my first car at age 12. I spent several years messing with muscle cars and ended up painting cars and motorcycles for other people to help support my car hobby/obsession starting when I was 14. I didn't really get into the traditional stuff much until the early 2000's, but that's pretty much all I mess with now. I have been married to my best friend for 23 years, have four adopted kids, and am currently building a couple old Chevy pu's with my two teenage boys that will be their daily drivers. I am a member of the CrossMembers Car Club and help put on the Hot Rod Hundred driving events. I currently have a 56 Ford that I drive as well as a 66 Chevy pu beater. The third pic is of my son's project pu's.

IMG_1101[1].PNG IMG_2614[1].JPG IMG_8256[1].JPG

MO_JUNK, Black_Sheep, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  3. The old shop truck.... 20180919_184738.jpg

Black_Sheep, 1Nimrod, Al G and 3 others like this.
  4. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_3113.JPG You wanted a bump Ron...it's High Summer in East Central Brrmont, and the River's at the foot of the hill. Now, if I could just make this last all year!

Stogy, Baumi, VA HAMB and 5 others like this.
  5. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Dustin is my name. My Brother-in-law Chuck W. that lives in Oklahoma turned me onto the HAMB. I've been around around and around my Dad a few Uncle's and cousin's all had circle track car's in the late 50's to the 80's. My Grandpa born 1907 (my Dad's Dad) use to race in those old long open wheeled wooden spoke car's that had nothing to hold onto but the steering wheel I've only seen One picture of my Grandpa's old race car and out of five children in my family after Dad died and my oldest brother put Mom in a home I have no ideal where that One of a kind picture is now? But enough of that. I started out working on my "Stingray Schwinn" bike's moved up to lawn mowers and worked on the farms and around my hood as I was growing up. My first car was a 66 Chevy II I bought from a older neighbor down the road from my Folks house I was around 13-14 or ?? I've had many Chevy II's 4 doors, 2 dr post, and several HT 66-67 Chevy II's and also from the early 63 Chevy II all the way up to a 68 Chevy II SS and 71 SS Nova a few Camaro's, Chevelle's, Buick Skylark, a Cuda and many 60's-70's pick up trucks. Back in the day in MI you could buy them cheap we called them "Winter Beater's" and could have them from $50-$100 those were the days like alot of poor boys who grew up on a farm and people on the HAMB I picked them up worked on them drove them and sold them to keep moving up until I could get a nice Chevy II and because of that lots of pictures but have lost many from moving over the year's but I found a few of my other car's. I married my high school hottie have been blessed with three lovely girl's and one cool Son. I'm still married 40+ years and have been blessed with seven wonderful grandchildren. During those family years I stayed away from Hot Rod's because like most of the people on the HAMB know it's costly and family comes first. But now that I'm an SS Old Man I'm trying on the car thing again. After my Dad passed away in 2015 he left my brother's an sisters and me his home and so it was sold. I'm very thankful to my Grandpa and Dad for many years of helping me grow into the man I am and that will keep the bug going for two more generation and Hot Rod's I pray. Because my Dad left us kids his home I was able to buy my 63 C10 pick-up short box fleet side 3 on the tree I6 in his memory. Some of you may recall my misfortune with my shop rebuild 68 327 it's slowly getting back to being what it was meant to be a mid 60's 327 clone Hot Rod Truck and I'm thankful and blessed to have my Wife and HAMB friends helping me along the way. Thank You Larry (fordors) and many other members for advice and support it's very much appreciated ... Here's a few pictures. I'm a proud Daddy and Grandpa so I had to slip in a few special pic's... Thank You...

Attached Files:

Stogy, Baumi, VA HAMB and 5 others like this.
  6. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Friends know me as Mark

I'm 59 and have had a fascination for all things mechanical for as long as I can remember. The first 30 years of my adult life was spent wrenching on big rigs. For the past 10+ years I've been an account manager, selling HD truck and trailer service, towing and parts.

My kids are grown up with families of their own so I have some free time and enough disposable income to indulge my passion for cars. My OT Hot Rod is a '69 GTX purchased in '82 for a paltry $1750. Rust free, black on black with the numbers motor and a few desirable options. It's a stock appearing build and pretty much had to stay that way to maintain it's collector value.

The '58 was a blank canvas so I had a lot of fun doing a build limited only by my imagination and budget. I will retire in 3 years and plan to build a fenderless A coupe on Deuce rails. Ideally it will have an early HEMI and 3 pedals. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of what I've got...

AAF46A10-1ADC-461B-BBF6-84429EFAFF2C.jpeg 2F380EC8-6B2D-41DA-B90A-A478671A9A06.jpeg CDE0F135-5E20-4B00-8CE7-80D68132D455.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    MO_JUNK, chevy57dude, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  7. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@1Nimrod ... definitely H.A.M.B. Blood in your veins! Beautiful Family...the beat goes on...

1Nimrod and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Thank You... There all a blessing to me everyday...
    1Nimrod

chevy57dude and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-9-21_4-6-6.png 1958 SATURDAYS
    Speaking of the spectators standing so close to the starting line at Lions...there were "blast boards" or whatever they were called back then. Safety starting line "blast boards" at Lions? What was that lanky teenager in the red Pendleton shirt, Levis and desert boots, doing, not staying behind those blast shields? Teenagers… "What me worry?”

Hello,

The early days of drag racing was fun and exciting. Racing, no doubt, was challenging, but the dragstrip itself was the main draw as a teen. What place could you see a car show in the vast parking lot, hot drag race cars in the pits and challenging races on the dragstrip lanes? We were fortunate to be living about a mile and a half from the dragstrip location.

When we were little, the draw was walking field trips along an elevated (on a berm) railroad track. It ran parallel to the farmer’s field, adjoining the Lions Dragstrip return road and lanes. It was the perfect spot to see the whole dragstrip and listen to those west winds blowing the sounds right into our faces.

Then, it was exploring the actual dragstrip by walking across the farmer’s field to sit by the return road, watching the racers zoom by us. Finally, it was us getting old enough to actually pay to get inside the huge complex to see the race cars up close and personal. Sometimes, the up close and personal thing got a little hairy.

Jnaki

In the 58 Chevy photo, a friend took the movie of me standing watching my brother get a good start for his timed run. In the Tapia Brothers film clip, my brother took the movie while I got to take a break between the hectic filming days. Our mom liked that my brother took the film of me… "the little baby brother”, in all his teenage glory.

teenage days Lions 1958-60
    upload_2019-9-21_4-8-53.png upload_2019-9-21_4-9-4.png
    1959 Lions Tapia Bros. Ford push truck... Some kid in the red Pendleton, double exposure.

:16-:20 Tapia Bros. at Lions film

Tapia Bros. at Lions

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  10. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Setting the body today Ronnie! You need to come over with Timmy and take a peek! Or are you just going to wait till the party in Nov. ?

IMG_20190929_152203.jpg

11. Did someone say party?!:D;)

Stogy, BigO, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  12. 1low52

1low52

Guess you couldn't wait for me to come help;) lol postoilagemotoring.jpg

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The 47 at the 40 Ford Days earlier this year
    DSC_1507.jpg

14. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Yep, My garage Nov 2nd. Drive on down. Probably ride over to a couple other hot rod garages during the day. (within a couple miles of me) Im in the Shenandoah Valley. PM me for address if you feel like a ride! :)

15. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

LOL! Ronnie and his son rode over and we had it on in a few minutes. It was heavier than I remembered ;)

16. Todd, the T is looking great! I'll bring chilli to the garage party. I can come over anytime. OK a picture or it didn't happen, so here's one I just took. I'm winterizing the HOT Rods today. 20191002_012809.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Rocky from the Omaha area....down to 1 hot rod, my 34 ford coupe. Has 57 Pontiac engine bored to 370 cu in. Muncie close ratio, 11.75" clutch and a Winters quick change. 179.jpg

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I too am down to one, gotta have something to get groceries in..

IMG_20191002_141419.jpg

19. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Miles from Conroe Texas
    20190202_161356.jpg
    My daily driver's a 53' Chevy 2100 4-dr. with the old 235 straight 6, Powerglide, and a bunch of options. Going to restore it one day, but just need to keep it running for now until....
    My other car's a 54' Chevy 2100 4-dr. with a 3-on-the-tree and not much else. It's in the middle of being restored and having the old 235 hopped up. Going for an old stock-car vibe but it will be a daily driver when it's done.
    Classics kinda run in the family. Also helping my dad with his 53' F-100 and my brother with his 59' Apache longbed.
    20171021_175603.jpg
    20171201_210103.jpg

20. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sold my 1950 Plymouth 3 Window to buy the 5 window Buick coupe....extra cash to pay bills...great month.. image.jpeg image.jpeg

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20191003_023335.jpg

:rolleyes:...it did happen...

Deuce, Hula on the Package Tray

22. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Im really diggin those halibrands on the Dodge!

23. Hi I am Mike...
    Been into cars since I went to my first oval track race in the summer of 1965...I was 4 years old then...loved the colorful old coupes and coaches from back in that era...we had a couple of hot rodders back then in town and some street rods too...I followed along with them...bought and sold a bunch of those style cars before I was 18...a couple of early Chevys and Fords too...then I went racing and found out about woman and alcohol and all the old stuff went away for 20 years....started tinkering again in 2002 when my last kid was about to leave the house...build several oval track cars again then started with a Dodge Pilothouse...then AD style trucks...had a bunch of them too...throw in some flat fender Jeeps...some S10 frame swaps...a couple 3-4 old VWs...even had a vintage Datsun.....I get bored really really easy...currently trying to save an old 1940 Ford Jalopy....as long as the check book holds out should be good to go on it....cant wait to get them done so I find something else to work on...I really enjoy the rebuilding of them....never liked driving them...in fact since I started driving on the street at 17 years old...never liked driving on the road period...on an oval track...now that is fun...on the street...not so much... DSCN5327.JPG
    I wish I had kept a couple of the early Chevys and the early Fords...if I had...they would be worth a ton of money today...

My heros are you guys on here that daily drive your old cars....I would love to have the mindset and patience and the tenacity to drive something vintage on the street and enjoy the experience....

I know I am an odd duck...I love old vehicles in my garage but not on the street...I wish I did tho...maybe my next life I will...

MikeC

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

HYq2SbttQgeNAfh%02YAZQ.jpg IMG_0147.JPG My latest a nut & bolt frame off restoration 60 Pontiac Bubbletop.

Attached Files:

25. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi! My name is Christoph, but no one ever cared so everyone has been calling me "Baumi" since my first year in school. I´m not HAMB friendly ´cause I dropped off the assembly line in ´76. As a kid I loved watching " Fall Guy" and all the other cool American TV series that had all the cool cars us boys never saw on our roads. The bad guys in old German movies always drove the big American cars and I just loved them.They were listening to Rock´n´Roll and I liked that too... I think that is the way I got addicted to what we consider perfectly normal around here.
    ( Last week a friend asked me if I thought it was a good idea to buy a cheap and solid but neglected 53 Buick 4dr w/o engine,trans and rearend and make it his daily driver. I told him "hell yes! You need to ask normal people if you need someone to talk you out of it. Your friends won´t ever do that, hahahaha"

I can remember that one day in the early 80s I heard a distant growl like I had never heard before while I was riding my bicycle in front of my parents house. I was looking up the street and saw chrome laden machine come around the corner. I was lost forever. That image and sound have been burned into my head. Today I know the car had been a 57 Chevy 2dr hardtop , it had a rake, chrome wheels, dark blue metallic paint and probably headers because I can somewhat remember that "ringing" sound.
    I always wanted an old American car, but when I turned 14 all I could find and afford was an old Vespa. I liked the Art Deco design the Vespa had and started restoring. By the age of 18 I had a stash of 11 or 12 Vespas and my best friend Rene who ran a local Vespa Garage brought home a 57 Chevy that had been T-boned. That was the day I had to find me an old car. One or two years later, I think about ´96 I had sold some Vespas and had enough money to buy a 62 Impala Coupe that only had 15600 original miles on it. I spent all I had ( 6500 D Marks back than and borrowed another 500 from my Grandmother) to get that car. I still have it and someday my kids will inherit the Impala. After the Impala was so rust free and like new I could not use it as a daily driver. So I did some horsetrading, fixed a 64 Impala for a friend and a few scooters and came up with the money to buy a pretty used up 56 Chevy 2dr sedan. It was rust free but not too nice to be driven daily. Of course I could not leave it alone and after 2 years of daily driving I tore it apart and made it a mild custom. You can imagine how it went on. My current daily is a 55 Chevy 4dr . My latest projects were a 65 Riviera I bought half finished , a 34 Ford Hot Rod I restored and which will get interior and a roof insert this winter . The 34 moved to the back burner when my girlfriend bought a 52 Suburban 3 years ago that fixed up for her. There are still plenty of tings to fix on the burban and on the 34, the rest of the cars are ready to go. I try to do everything myself because I just have fun doing it and that was the only way I could afford this way of living. But space is an issue now. I should sell something or park my stuff in the living room like Mark does, hahahaha
    Thanks for having me here guys. I love being with normal people.
    IMG_2485.JPG IMG_2480.JPG carwash 008.jpg IMG_20170430_165218.jpg IMG_1356.JPG IMG_5405.JPG IMG_6377.JPG OTIT4000.jpg IMG_5393.JPG

26. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Yeah man!^^^

Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and Baumi like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Ron...my first post the Hula Gal...:D...didn't answer the actual request in your first post. It did answer the Title though...:confused:...:D

Okay well the Story in my profile does pretty much paint the picture...and there is a pic of the Hotrod that I might be nose to nose in posting pics of it here with your rides...;)...but they make good pics don't they..

Steve is my name and Stogy was a kooky name given to me in grade 7 Outdoor Ed Class and it stuck...

So the Hamb has given a direction in thought towards the huge evolution of Go Fast...I revere it, even though I was too young to experience the scene when it was happening...So I step back through the Hotrod I currently own...and No I didn't build it...I wrench it here and there and drive it and escape the shit that is today.

There's Some good but escaping is a necessity.

0_20180611_193415.jpg

:rolleyes:...Two Oldies...Smiths Falls is the Closest metropolis to me and this Tower is nearing 100 Years Old and will soon be decommissioned...

I am on here a lot as it fills a Traditional Hotrod Void very prevalent in my region...

I enjoy the Comradery for the most part and try to feed off that positive vibe...

There, Stogy missed the mark but there ya go...better late than never...;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  28. Hey Baumi........a little before your time [summer of 1969] I was cruising around the farm country outside Furth [suburb of Nuremburg] in my 62 Buick special when I came across these 2 G.I.s in a 62 Impala......327/powerglide and I challenged them to a drag race. We lined up and took off...that chevy was heavier than my buick special but even so, they beat me badly. The photo of your Impala took me back to that warm summer night..good memories..

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Baumi is That Frost in the 40 Pic...:eek:

chryslerfan55 and Black_Sheep like this.
  30. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Sure looks like it

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.