Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts shipping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eddie rockitnyc, Sep 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. eddie rockitnyc

eddie rockitnyc
    from nyc

hey out there,
    Looking for shipping recommendations.
    Not sure if this is a correct thread for this forum but tried to ship a front fender through Fastenall Shipping and was told it was too big. Any help appreciated. Cheers.
    E.

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I’ve used Greyhound in the past with good results both shipping and receiving such items though they are typically not right around the corner.

eddie rockitnyc likes this.
  3. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...Try ''u-ship it.com''....miller

4. eddie rockitnyc

eddie rockitnyc
    from nyc

thank you A. I'll keep that on the list.

AVater likes this.

5. Many years ago I shipped 2 '64 Dodge front fenders in a huge cardboard box via USPS. Probably wouldn't fly today.

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Greyhound is the place for shipping large items like that. Ive shipped and received with decent luck through them.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Shipped 2 hoods.
    One through fastenal one through greyhoud...both great experiences

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've shipped several things with Greyhound over the years with good luck but you do have to watch their measurement restrictions. Any bigger won't fit under the bus.
    What are your package weight and size restrictions?

The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 29" H x 47" W x 82" L
    I usually went by a local furniture/appliance store and snagged a box that the part would fit in then cut the box down to size and use the reinforced tape on it. I also would do the tie it up in heavy twine so it had easy to use hand holds. They don't get shoved in a back corner if they are easy to handle

stillrunners and eddie rockitnyc like this.
  9. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

Sold 2 bumpers to a fellow Hamber, shipped Greyhound today. Got two other quotes from fedex ground and saia freight, both were more expensive by $100. Greyhound said new limit is 100 lbs

10. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I shipped a very expensive airplane assembly by Greyhound and rode on the bus with it for security. I could write a book.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. I hear ya. I've ridden the 'Dog', bet I could add a couple chapters.

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I could too.
    The trip ended with piss on my lap from a 4 yr old I didn't know by the name of John Paul.
    Never again

13. earlymopar

earlymopar

I don't understand them telling you a fender is too big. I shipped a 90% complete pickup truck (all pieces on 2 custom, very large pallets). If you have it palletized, they'll take it.

- EM

14. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

A guy from CA shipped me two fenders on the Dog to my place in MD. The same day he shipped two other fenders to a guy in Ohio. Guess which fenders arrived several days later? Then I get a call on Sunday morning from a guy in Houston. Seems he is the VP of the company; and the guy in Ohio got his personal cell number somehow, and the customer is pissed. Short story, the Dog moved Heaven and Earth to make the guy in Cleveland happy. They sent the Baltimore GM to my house, an hour away, to pick up the Ohio fenders- which got the express trip to Cleveland the same day. My fenders? They arrived in a Prius taxi cab a week later. When you ship on the Dog, It will almost always arrive; but sometimes you get convinced all is lost the day before. No fixed schedule; no tracking; some locations are sketchy. Plan accordingly.

15. eberhama

eberhama

I just shipped a 56 f100 roof from ND to FL for $200 via fastenal. Like earlymopar says, strap it to a pallet, and they'll take it. You need to generate a quote online, otherwise the store can't do anything. 1 caveat though, 3 of 4 fastenal employees i encountered had no idea about how to ship anything, so try to find someone who knows whats going on to talk to.

16. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shipped a Nailhead through Fastenall - Buyer arranged the details and payment with them. Crate it and go! Really couldn't have been easier. Also sent two DeSoto cranks; equally as painless.

17. I have used Greyhound to ship fenders and bumpers without incident.

18. Squablow

Squablow

I shipped a big pile of sheetmetal, much larger than a fender, through Fastenal, but I stood everything up on a pallet and then built a crate around it with sides, then shrink wrapped the whole shootin' match. They won't take it in a regular box if it's too big, but they will take it on a pallet. A friend of mine has shipped a bunch of stuff through them just strapped to a pallet and wrapped, but I like the crate just in case.

stillrunners and eddie rockitnyc like this.
  19. eddie rockitnyc

eddie rockitnyc
    from nyc

the Dog?

20. eddie rockitnyc

eddie rockitnyc
    from nyc

good to know. I'll try them again. this time, I'll say it's palletized.

21. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I just shipped a trans and overdrive from So Cal to No Cal for about $75 each using Fastenal Stores. They were about half the price of UPS. You'll need to drop off and pickup from one of their stores.

22. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Greyhound

23. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I recently shipped two crates that totaled 540 lbs from Ohio to LA for $87 as truck freight. The key to this price is shipping terminal to terminal rather than doorstep to doorstep. It was YRC trucking.

If you decide to go this way, put your part on a pallet, and build a strong crate around it with a bottom ,top, and all four sides. Make the crate strong enough to carry a pallet on the top of it, because they will stack things on top. I have shipped stuff all over the world this way with no damage. Don't count on special handling, you won't get it.