Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Freeze plugs??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by furyfan, Sep 30, 2019.

1. squirrel

squirrel

The first engine I overhauled, 61 283, had a plug pop out (this was in Tucson)....no cracks, I was able to put the plug back in (not sure if I used a new one or not? it was over 40 years ago).

I dont know if the plug saved the block, maybe it would not have cracked anyways, who knows.

jimgoetz likes this.
  2. It’s only a derogatory term if you take it that way, I honestly don’t really care what people call anything, we all use improper terms in everyday life. I was resisting the urge to poke the proverbial bear on this thread until someone else started it....

We all have little things that generate a twitch in us when we hear it...my students learn to use the term core plug and not refer to nitrous as NOS...gets a rise out of me every time...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Tri-power37 likes this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Irregardless, it's a mute point.

mkubacak, J. A. Miller and TimCT like this.
  4. error404

error404
    from CA

I like this statement.

Frankie47 likes this.
  5. Actually it’s a moot point. Although there is definitely only one correct answer . I’ll see myself out now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

For all intensive purposes.

7. Scumdog

Scumdog

Irregardless??

Is that even a word?

Or is it one of those words that you can use as an option, like frost plug vs freeze-plug vs core-plug?

Lol.

Truck64 likes this.
  8. Terrible80

Terrible80

Well, they could be called freeze plugs because that's where the block heater installs in Alaska. Just kidding don't attack!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  9. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

This thread devolved fast. :rolleyes:

I like to use Indian Head gasket sealant on my plugs. Haven't had a leak in any I've installed yet.

Truck64 likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Rusted out freeze plugs a good reason not to use radiator stop leak. It backs up behind the freeze plugs and rots them out.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, I have. I bought an old IH Transtar cabover with a Cummins diesel in it, first truck I owned. Hadn't had it but a few days, hadn't even made a trip in it, it was pushed on me by a "friend" that knew I was wanting my own truck. I checked it out, drove it, seemed fine. Got a deal with a woodyard to haul from their yard to a papermill. First load out, rear gear came out, had it towed to a guy that worked on trucks in his yard. While it was sitting there getting a replacement rear gear put in, it turned cold overnight. I went over to the guys house next day to check on the truck, looked at the engine for some reason, There were 3 or 4 freeze plugs popped out in the rear head, and ice in the holes. I was sick! I hadn't checked the antifreeze before, just saw it was green looking, but it was mostly green water. I was young and dumb, too excited about owning my own rig that I didn't do the basics. I took one of the popped out plugs to the parts house, got some replacements, and we put them in. Thankfully, there was no damage to the heads or block. Kept that truck a month after that, pulled a few loads with it, then let the guy I got it from have it back. In that month I had spent more on that truck than I had made with it, lesson learned. Trust, but verify. It was a long time before I bought another one, but I made sure it was in good shape before I took delivery.....

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  12. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I was wondering how many were going to bite on that one. LOL! YEEEEEOOOOOOEEEM! Right over their heads. LOL.

13. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

Please excuse my incorrect terminology of the "core plugs". In the future I will be sure to do the proper research before ask any questions.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  14. error404

error404
    from CA

it does get annoying how people on here get so hung up on terminology. They know exactly what you're saying, but still derail threads to point out yours "mistake". Love this place...

In one of my earlier threads, folks spent a few pages arguing why a harmonic balancer/damper should or shouldn't be called a balancer or damper or dampener or whatever else..... yay.

15. squirrel

squirrel

My given name is James, and several people here call me Jim. It doesn't bother me at all.

16. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Core plugs go in engines, freeze plugs go in motors!

Baumi and jimgoetz like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Ta laest nboody bicthes abuot splleing!

firstinsteele likes this.
  18. Call them whatever the fuck you want, the problem is that there are a lot of people who still think they are there to protect the block from damage if it freezes, because people call them freeze plugs, by correcting terminology it helps people understand what they are and why they are there.

Truck64 likes this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

most folks don't care about things like that....

Desoto291Hemi, 2OLD2FAST and 57 Fargo like this.
  20. Don't worry! Consider the source.

Ben

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Core plugs = correct technical jargon, freeze plugs = urban slang. :D

57 Fargo likes this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The original question was whether to use steel or brass plugs and sealant or no sealant. I don't give a rat's ass what you want to call them.
    I built the enginefor my Hiboy roadster about 6-7 years ago, using the block and crank from a '73 GMC 4X4 that I had owned since '76 and always kept fresh antifreeze in it till I quit driving it due to body rust from the beach driving, etc. I junked it all except the engine quite awhile back. It sat in the back of a junked out van for years till I tore it down to vat, etc. before a build for the roadster, using the block and crank.
    The inside face of the core plugs was as shiny as new with no rust at all and the water jackets of the block had no scale at all, absolutely pristine.
    My point is that brass plugs are unnecessary if you take care of the coolant system. Also I don't use sealant on core plugs, have always installed them dry into a well cleaned hole. My reasoning is that a tight, well fitted metal to metal contact is more secure, and I've never had one leak after I installed it.

23. Just don't install them like Auto Machine in StCharles IL did on my Stude 299ci. I guess they didn't clean enough before using the sealant.
    299ci-16.JPG

Baumi and Truck64 like this.
  24. That's how I installed mine with no leaks

25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Next up, a lengthy discussion on whether or not screw in plugs will defeat the purpose of the myth. :)

Desoto291Hemi and 57 Fargo like this.
  26. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

Oh no, this is not good for sure:eek:.
    John

27. Truck,
    I told you last night you have a wicked sense of humor.
    More people need to read your post more clearly,,,and then they will get the joke.
    You even trip me up sometime for a few seconds.
    You dangle that carrot out in front of the horse,,,,and they naturally go for it.

Tommy

28. Never had to use sealer......but hey........never to old to learn...I told her.........

29. fordflambe

fordflambe

And to think i read this thread all the way to the end............Whats wrong with me?

30. Doesn't it make you warm and fuzzy inside knowing you have "freeze " plugs in the side of your engine. When they leak from rusting some of them are a PITA to replace.
    I use GMSC that is flexible. (not GMS)