Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A New Deuce Project.....Chevy II style!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

I've wanted a Chevy II for about 40 years.....and decided if I came across a solid project I better act on it. So, I made the deal today and will be driving 700+ miles one-way to pick this one up. It's a 63.
    Been sitting about 8 years when the carb started leaking. Trim was pulled as they were going to start sanding on it, but didn't get that far (thankfully). Should be a nice solid start.
    It won't be a gasser, but it will be a stanced sleeper street/strip car......I'm thinking big cube small block. maybe a 377, but also thinking 421 or 434, split monoleaf Cal Tracs, maybe a front clip...but maybe just a CPP or Fatman strut kit eliminator, snug fitting cage, a little more light-weighting.

May not get started on it this year (I need to get back on the Roadster project)...
    More to come..
    New Deuce 2.jpg
    Check out the AC and radio delete
    New Deuce 3.jpg

New Deuce 4.jpg

New Deuce 5.jpg New Deuce.jpg

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nothing wrong with that. I had a '62 and wouldn't mind another . Still have new interior panels and carpet for one.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

We shit canned the stock front assembly.

Roadsir and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yeah, the front ends on these leave a lot to be desired. Lot's of aftermarket parts, interior stuff is available, but I wond er if the rubber mat is available?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.

5. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Cool II..!
    Clips are nice as they make more room in the engine bay and take the rear steering linkage out of the path of the oil pan. CPP and CBR both have bolt on suspensions that maintain the factory clip. The CBR system offers a forward mounted rack and pinion conversion option.. CPP doesn’t have this option available. Another possible option is TRZ I believe they make make a rack and pinion setup for the early Chevy IIs but I haven’t looked at their stuff in depth..

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  6. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

I believe the floor mats are available you might look up ChevyII only..

loudbang, Stogy and Roadsir like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20190712_192144.jpg 20190913_183759.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2020
  8. Sounds like ya got a plan for a fun little ride

loudbang, Stogy and Roadsir like this.
  9. Roadsir

Roadsir

I'm stoked that it's a 100 series post. Not a heater delete, or 4 cylinder but about as cheap as you could get.

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Subbed.
    If Roadsir is involved there's a 99.9% chance I'm gonna dig it.

IowaMercMan, loudbang, Gotgas and 3 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't every lose that rare factory offered Fly Swatter...:D

Congrats on the new Canvas @Roadsir...have fun with it...;)

loudbang and tomkelly88 like this.
  12. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

13. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I bought my 62 convert in 1970, who would have guessed they would be worth anything today IM002458.JPG

14. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

The only made convertibles in 62 & 63. They’re not easy to come by..

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Those cube #'s tell me you may know your way around a roundy or two...:D

loudbang likes this.
  16. Roadsir

Roadsir

I've got a 410 SBC in my 40, and the torque is really impressive. The 377 has always intrigued me for a lightweight car, but for not a lot more money the 421, or 434 would be a real kick.

17. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks guys. This car is far enough South where I might need that fly-swatter for black widow spiders or snakes....:)
    Maybe I should leave it outside for a Mn Winter first.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks for sharing, your front end sits right for what I'd be looking to do. You're right, doesn't solve the pan, and header clearance. I would imagine a clip would have a weight savings over the CPP kit?. The TMZ parts look impressive.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

The CPP kit doesn’t lower the ride height. I clipped one complete coil round off of my front springs. This brought the front end down 2”. This car is just a cruiser for now. I needed it to be a decent driver for the time being not a long term project.. The CPP kit fit the bill for what I needed at a very reasonable amount money. It’s a really solid setup, a very simple concept, and a quick install.. The 63 in my avatar is in the long term spot at this time and still has a ways to go. These cars are pretty flimsy and need structural reinforcement especially if putting in some decent power and sticky tires. A lot of chassis flex. Post cars are supposed to be a little better but I don’t imagine it’s by an appreciable amount..

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

On mine we put an Chevelle frame all the way back to the front of the rear spring hangers.

Nova Thug likes this.
  21. I did mine before there was such a thing as kits. lots of cardboard for mockups, emptied 2 dozen magic markers and built a 2x3 front clip using late model stock car suspension. tubular control arms, adjustable coilovers and a super speedway rack and pinion. ended up with enough room for a custom eight quart oil pan and any headers I wanted to run. it rode nice and handled like it was on rails. the mounting points on the firewall were a big help. plus, when I pulled the front clip I kept the motor and trans mounted in the car for reference points. took a week from start to finish. ahh, to be young again.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  22. Cool project!

loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  23. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Like this?
    281FE640-E24C-4E20-B4E9-633D989B8377.png

24. Sounds like a great plan, sleeper always peeks my interest

loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  25. I inherited a '63 when my cousin passed away, I pulled the 327 and rebuilt it while I was building my '32 pickup and ended up sticking the engine in the truck, life got in the way and I ended up selling that car, that was one of the dumbest bone head moves I ever made.

Looking forward to following your build. HRP

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  26. Love these little chevys. I always wanted one and never had one. I'd take the same approach as your doing, Eric.
    Once in the 70s , while living in Portland, on a nice warm summer evening, I heard what sounded like a huge angry bee approaching. It got closer and rounded the corner a block away, coming toward me. It was a little 61-65 chevy II in original tan paint and sat low. Had no hood and as it came closer I saw why. It had a 292 six in it with s sort of tunnel ram and 2 afb's. The tall ass 292 wouldn't fit under the stock hood. especially with that intake setup. He buzzed past and turned on the next block...never saw it again but I never forgot it. The sound was amazing with some kind of headers splitting the exhaust..I stood transfixed, just listening the the buzzing until I couldn't hear it...never forgot.

27. Those are great little cars. My friend's mom had a convertible when we were in high school. That was fun, but not good for our Canadian winters.
    Would take one if I could, or even 64 through 68 Chevelle.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After I saw @swade41 's new avatar I completely lost track of what I was going to say.

eddie1, Hamtown Al, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  29. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yes, crossing into the dark side....I really like your wagon, perfect in my mind. I missed out on a 67 2dr post earlier this spring, factory gold paint, really solid, 10.60 car all day long that piqued my interest again in wanting one.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and AHotRod like this.