Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Put a value on it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

2. scotts52

scotts52

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate those who gave informative feedback. I was not aware that it was cobbled together. I don't have a trained eye for these yet. I will pass on this one.

clem likes this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

These two guys are from Iowa.

4. evintho

evintho

I know the OP passed on it but, $3k-$4k is a decent price here on the left coast. If the owner won't offer up a price, toss out $2500 and go from there.

patmanta and Casey Riley like this.
  5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

some cars you really just have to see to make a decent guess on price. could have total crap chassis or a straight unbutchered one. could ride down the road sideways or straight as an arrow. these things wold effect the price for me. I'm weird like that.

if the parts were all spread out across the yard there is probably a couple grand sitting there.

clem likes this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The frame looks to me like it might have been a 4 springer up front with a Ford style cross spring added?
    It would be a start anyway, you wouldn't park beside another one for sure. It would take some good metalwork to blend the cowl and doors better but it could be done. Some of the HAMB metalworkers could take that diamond in the rough and make a gem out of it with enough time and money. Where is it located at?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

What?????

8. alchemy

alchemy

There is some 34 Ford stuff in there: taillights, rear pan, windshield posts, bottom of grille. Some 35 Ford stuff: cowl from a pickup, frame, wheels, top half of grille. Some later 40's Ford stuff: spindles, brakes, bent front axle. And some Mopar stuff from the 30's: doors, dash, parts of the quarter panels.

See? A hodgepodge. If anyone thinks it's such a great deal, go get it. You won't have to outbid me.

patmanta likes this.
  9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Fair point but I see what looks like a $200 Lokar shifter on there ;)

For me it would have to be cheap too though. I would value it higher with a title/valid registration that I could transfer easily. The value in a hodgepodge car like that isn't in the parts really, it's in having something you can drive around and have fun with while you finish something else.

It's actually not that bad looking for being a hodgepodge jalopy. I usually see much worse proportions and late model junk on cars like that. This one will never be a beauty queen but it looks like a great rig to bomb around in and maybe make safe enough to take to the drag strip, hill climbs, or dirt races.

My bottom line would be anything south of $3k running, driving, & registerable, I'd be interested in making a deal. But if it has no easy paperwork, it's just someone's abandoned project and it's such a mishmash of bits, I'd leave it there and find something else to spend my money on.

10. scotts52

scotts52

Just found the original post. Someone is dreaming REALLY BIG!
    He's asking $11,500:eek:

11. 34Larry

34Larry

Interesting question scotts52, I like the piece. I see your a Washington boy also. The opinions here on HAMB are so varied, which does not surprise me at all. There are so many variables at hand its damned near impossible to get a some what reasonable consensus answer for you. This being a www.com place means that opinions of what it would bring in one place is not even close to what it would bring half a world, or country away. Hell....right here in our state it could bring much bigger dollars in King, Pierce, Snohomish counties on the west side of the state than say any where on the East side of the state.
    IMO, the statement that it is worth what some one would pay IS THE CORRECT statement, because its relative to the buyer/seller location, buyers knowledge of what he/she are looking at, and negotiation skills on both buyer and seller and other un-thought variables.
    But taking the risk that it is a Wash. car, my top offer would be 3 K, and the seller keeps that POS 305.

12. Pfft
    That’s funny
    11 gs

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  13. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Yeah, that's crazy.

14. Squablow

Squablow

hotrodjack33 nailed it, he even correctly guessed the asking price without knowing. And I agree fully. Even $6K would be well worth it to me if the suspension work is done nice and it's got a title, I think that'd be a bargain if it really is roadworthy, it's got good proportions and is very workable. But it should be obvious there's no way the asking price would be that low, I'm not at all surprised, and I wouldn't be surprised if it finds a buyer somewhere fairly close to that, too.

Where are you guys buying running driving hotrod ANYTHINGS for $1000? Even jacked up, cobbled ones? It does not happen.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Really project cars should be given away.
    What is value?
    A dollar is not really a dollar, it’s just a piece of paper that a lot of people agree to put a value on. That goes to the latter.... what is value?

Why is gold worth more than say....dirt? You can grow a flower in a pot of dirt. Not so with a pot of gold.

Gold is .... shiny. Gold has a good presentation. Even a barn rat likes shiny stuff, just look in her nest.

So answers to “value” questions have no value.
    Rick Nelson expresses this in his song “ Garden Party”. He did not look the same. The crowd wanted “Ricky”.

That car is ......Interesting. It has poor presentation but it is interesting...

A quart of Rust Oleum Red Oxide for the body.....
    A quart of black for the wheels and chassis.
    A brush...,,
    Move the battery to the trunk.

The presentation would be much different. There may be some Oooooohs and Aaaaaahs.......

What a great Jalopy! vs It’s only worth 200 bucks.

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno. I looked at it a second time, and I don't think it's that bad. Not my cup of tea, though.

hotrodjack33 likes this.