Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric Power Steering Pump & Electric Air Cond. Compressor & High Output Alternator

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Carl Hungness, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

I am enamored with removing belts from the '500' inch Cadillac I am installing in my '37 LaSalle coupe so have a couple of questions I want to pose.
    1. I am going to install a Mustang rack and pinion and want to run an electric power steering pump so looking for suggestions. I see eBay prices from $100-$500 for everything from Chevies to Mini-Coopers.
    2. My initial plan for the air conditioning compressor was to run a "Mexican" air-conditioner using a 3 HP 12v DC motor and connecting it via belt to a good high quality compressor. This type of unit has been used extensively by, well, the Mexicans according to the man who has 'sold container loads' of the stout looking 12 volt motors supplied by Hydrogen Appliances. Cost of the motor is $300. Now I see the self contained electric compressors on the market and have seen a few YouTube videos, so am wondering if it is worth my time to do more research on the self contained units. I notice the very knowledgeable folks at Vintage Air have not, and will not for the foreseeable future supply the self electrified units as they claim they are not efficient enough for hot-rod use. I surely trust the Vintage Air people as their knowledge is unsurpassed.
    Also wondering how many amps I am going to need with either installation. It seems a 200 amp alternator is about as high as one wants to go in order to preserve battery life. CIMG0055.JPG CIMG0051.JPG CIMG0055.JPG CIMG0051.JPG CIMG0053.JPG
    All suggestions greatly appreciated.