Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler Windsor 301 hemi/poly motor - Can you put on Hemi Heads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stevilknievel, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Funny thing is : I always learn the most sh#t on old bumped threads. It's literally a valuable old library book, plucked from behind its forgotten shelf. No harm, no foul. Thanks for putting it up.

razoo lew likes this.
  2. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I guess I'm thinking oppositely from most Posters here. I have hemies "under the bench" from each Mopar brand (as well as a 150 cid Daimler), but I've been keeping my eye out for a Poly motor. I think they are easily the best, unique, never-seen-at-car-shows V8 engine suitable for a rod!

You seem very knowledgable on early Mopars. May I bother you with a few questions, to help me out on my learning curve?

I have an aftermarket 4 carb (in-line) manifold for a (definitely) Dodge. The carb spacing is not quite adequate for 97s, without filling about 1/8" off the front bowl cover hold down screw lugs; Holleys are even fatter. I hate to get the file out, besides, I am one carburetor short. Is there some other carb meant to fit, or was the pattern maker an apprentice, that didn't know about casting shrinkage?!?.

I saw an iron 2 by single (I think) barrel hemi manifold at the NED swap meet a couple of years ago, maybe like the one you've pictured. As I recall, it had some extra gizmos inserted between the carbs and manifold. Speculation was that this was an industrial set up, with governors.
    What was the application for yours?

My De Soto (341) and Chrysler (354) engines have automatics attached with, for some reason (??), maybe 3/4" thick adapter plates. I'm told that this is a stock arrangement (??). Are these transmissions just suitable as boat moorings? Would it be feasible to cut off the bell-housings, weld a plate on the back, add a hydraulic throw-out bearing, and use in a stick-shift set up?

If any others can educate me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

3. Interesting thread. I can lay my hands on a 301 poly locally pretty cheap, but was wondering about transmissions? What trans did they use? Are there any modern autos(like a 727) that bolt up?
    Any hop up parts out there for a poly?

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may learn stuff from old bumped threads, but not all of the information on threads (old or new) is correct. For instance, in the quote below the comment about flat top pistons is not correct. I've got one 354 and two 392's, all three from New Yorkers (not 300's, not marine and not factory performance) and none of them had flat-top pistons. The same holds true of most electrical threads, some of which have more bad than good information. In the H.A.M.B. Rules and Guidelines (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/)
    guideline #1 states: If in doubt, don't post it.

5. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

The original trans on mine 1955 301 and 331 have been 2 speed autos, I used Capanna bros. adapter for TH400 to eliminate all the throttle pressure linkage as the 400 uses a modulator valve.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My De Soto (341) and Chrysler (354) engines have automatics attached with, for some reason (??), maybe 3/4" thick adapter plates. I'm told that this is a stock arrangement (??). Are these transmissions just suitable as boat moorings? Would it be feasible to cut off the bell-housings, weld a plate on the back, add a hydraulic throw-out bearing, and use in a stick-shift set up?

If any others can educate me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE] ................................................... Saw off what? No DeSoto or 354 I ever saw had cast on bellhousings like the 51-53 engines. Yes they do have an aluminum adapter to the automatic transmissions used at the time, Just take it off. Adapters are available. Lots of nostalgia racers use a powerglide behind a Chrysler and the adapters are swap meet items. Just a flat plate with studs to catch the Chevy bolt pattern. That is what I used. Used common Chevy throwout fork and braring.

7. George

George

301 would have had a 2 speed Powerflite. Hot Heads, Wilcap, T R Waters and Quality Engineered Components make adaptors for various trannys. If you're going to use a SB 727 I like the QEC one (he is 77RR here on the Board).

8. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

................................................... Saw off what? No DeSoto or 354 I ever saw had cast on bellhousings like the 51-53 engines. Yes they do have an aluminum adapter to the automatic transmissions used at the time, Just take it off. Adapters are available. Lots of nostalgia racers use a powerglide behind a Chrysler and the adapters are swap meet items. Just a flat plate with studs to catch the Chevy bolt pattern. That is what I used. Used common Chevy throwout fork and braring.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I guess I was not clear in my question. I realize these engine blocks do not have the extended rear housing like early Chryslers, but I was referring to the integral bell housing on the transmission. Being budget-limited, I was wondering about the possibility of cutting this off the tranny case, and making an adapter for a GM manual four speed?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Either use one of the mentioned available adapters to a GM four speed or do as I did and get a plate adapter as used by several drag cars and use a stock GM bellhousing and four speed that bolts to it or a GM blowshield and either a GM or Ford four speed as I did. I sold my whole thing, adapter plate, blowshield, starter, flywheel, throwout bearing and fork on here last year. I think I got $400 for all that. the Lakewood shield would accapt either a Chevy or Ford eransmission.

10. town sedan

town sedan

"...boat moorings?" Yes, good for nothing else. Plus they must be disposed of properly. I'm more than willing to take care of that for you. Just set them at the curb and I'll be by.

I remember being told that the O.E. aluminum adapter plate is what the started bolts to on automatic cars.
    -Dave

11. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't consider myself real knowledgeable about hemi engines. I can only identify certain parts and some problems I have run into from small projects and also from books I have read. Try 73rr or some of the others.

The 2x1 intake I have and heads, I was told came from a truck maybe dump truck. The heads look like they have sodium filled valves and the center port is longer so not all intakes would cover that portion. If I can find 2 pics I will post them side by side so you can see the difference. Some others might have pics also.

12. Thanks @RichFox
    I'm still gathering parts and getting the T titled
    But I'm close.

301 polly on my run stand. I now have a 4 barrel intake for it 20170429_154612.jpeg

Full Kustom drunk mobile posting

13. And for those who want more information on what these adapters look like, I've got a YouTube showing too much detail

kidcampbell71 and RichFox like this.
  14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well! That was way cool. Nice to see the parts have a good home. It's worthy to mention that the Chrysler flywheel would not fit in the Chevy bellhousing. I turned it down and installed a Pontiac ring gear. It would have been better to use a Chevy ring gear. But I had a Pontiac so I used it. Polys are cool, I think

Thommyknocker likes this.
  15. While were chatting
    Do you recall what the starter is originally for?
    Just in case I need a new one

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It was sold for a SBC. I needed that to bolt to the Chevy blow shield, The Pontiac gear interchanged directly and fit the ring gear. If I was doing it again, I would use a Chevy ring gear on the flywheel and just use a Chevy starter. Live and learn.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Thommyknocker likes this.
  17. rubadubi

rubadubi

I just picked up a 60,000 mile 301 with a factory 4 bbl intake. Was wondering is there a modern carb that will fit and what kind of power can I expect from a stock motor with the 4 bbl? Thanks

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. George

George

301 Chr? The Edelbrock has the right mount holes but the bore holes have to be opened up or longer mount studs & use the squeeze plate that Hot Heads sells to match the bores.

rubadubi likes this.
  19. rubadubi

rubadubi

Yes. 301 Chrysler. Not Plymouth. It has a stock 4 bbl intake.

20. desoto 003.JPG
    Ok will this 57 Desoto engine accept any Hemi heads? Any info about this engine would be appreciated.

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

All DeSoto engines were hemis before the 361-383 RB motors came out. In '58 I thought. Not counting those which came with Dodge polys in them. This engine looks like a later LA block from what I see of the rocker box. No hemi there

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  22. Well maybe its a 58 year model? desoto 002.JPG the dist is at the rear. what engine is it?

23. daliant

daliant

That's a 58 with either a 350 or 361 big block.

Old wolf likes this.